Tiggertoes on Atkins

Afternoon Tigs

When you've finished your housework can you come and do mine? :D

Isn't it great to be having cooking fun? One very big thing I have to thank low carb for is getting me in the kitchen and cooking meals from scratch :)

Ummm, never baked with them, my hubby wants me to have a go with using spelt flour, has anyone used it??

Not used spelt myself. I think its quite high carb so I didn't get it.

Hi Susie. I agree with you. Since Atkins I've opened a whole new world of cooking interest in myself. I just wish I could get it right more often. My baking flops tend to really chip away at my self esteem. It's really petty but I hate failing at the only things I consider myself good at.

Jess, you need to relax! ;) what happened to staying away from cleaning? The best part about baking is you get to keep portions for the week (if you can) works great for me when I do shifts if I can keep OH from scoffing the lot.

I'm really suffering from hay fever again today. I'm practicality in tears. :( is it possible to OD on anti-histamines?

Oh Tigs hun don't worry about the baking stuff that doesn't come off - this is a whole new way of cooking, so experimentation isn't always going to work.

Just keep in mind the day where I left the lid off the ginger and then shook it, covering myself - and my kitchen - with powdered ginger....or my first Mim which I could use as a doorstop...or the oopsies I had to make twice because I couldn't separate the eggs...and then couldn't make them go fluffy! :D :D

Nose spray, and eye drops and even prescribed tablets and still I'm sitting here with what feels like sand in my eyes, pepper in my nose and marshmallows in my head.

I just feel like being a Mary-Anne today. Take no notice.

I'm craving pork chops with Cauli mash right now.

Hello girls, I've been enjoying the sunshine from the couch whilst doing not a lot.. Been admiring the rate at which dust and dirty laundry accumulates when you don't get around to it for a week.

Oh has man flu again, there's some nasty bugs going around their office (full of men) and hes a 6'5" baby at the minute.

Menu for today:

B: Almond mim
Cheese
Coffee

L: salad

D: Beef bourgenioung
Cabbage with bacon and pine nuts
Cauli mash

Hand full of berries.

Have a fantastic day all. Happy low carbing x

Last edited:
Love the creative spelling of the beef borgithingy. Unless thats the real word - i really have no idea. Have a good day ;)

Thanks. Pretty sure it's spelt wrong. Stupid auto correct.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120628_132539.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_132539.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
My iPhone has a mind of its own. I get most frustrated with it for putting apostrophes in the possessive it's.

And WOW looks yummy.

Don't get me started. My OH has received a few questionable texts from me during my Iphone days. Let's hope the S3 fares better.. (save the boeuf bourguignon)

Morning TT xxx:)

Hello Di x so lovely to have you back.

It's brill to be back!! Sort of... Was enjoying Toronto too though ! Lol xx

Nights DONE! I slept for 12 hrs yesterday to recover from nights. And I could easily sleep for another 12.

I am going to pledge my allegiance to the Queen today as I take my British Citizenship oath. It's the final stage of what's been a very long and gruelling process. I'm pretty sure most of what's physically wrong with me has been brought on by the stress of the immigration processes that I've had to go through over the years.

Food wise I've been struggling. I'm still trying to wrap my head around celiac but it's actually alot harder than I thought. I've been reading the labels on everything I would normally eat and about 99% of it all contains some form of gluten. Drinks and food, confectionary even some dairy...., The gf products in stores are relatively expensive but I'll need to stock up eventually because I can't possibly avoid eating another slice of bread or or a bowl of pasta or a chocolate digestive for the rest of my life. I hate this disease :( I feel like an alien... Can't eat this, can't eat that... It breaks my heart.

I'm jumping back on the Atkins wagon today, because it works for me, and I know what I'm eating. This 2 week slip has fortunately not caused any gains, if anything I'm at my lowest now, with a total of 21lbs lost since I started losing weight after Xmas. I'm going to do a tough 2 week induction and take it from there.

Today I feel bloated and ill, I have serious indigestion and I'm struggling with walkies in the park. And the weather outside is giving my a really bad headache. I have a heap of housework that needs doing to top it all off.

Menu:
Veg stir fry

Pork chop
Cauli mash
Courgettes

MiM
Cream cheese

I hope everyone has a better day then me ;)

Oh you poor thing TT!! I don't think I could deal with nights at all on a diet - it would do my head in too much!

But, what an auspicious day!! Finally becoming a Brit (dear god girl, you need to see a therapist! lol - only joking!)

Celiac sounds hideous - when I first read your post I thought you said celeriac!! and I'm thinking, what's there to get your head around!

Goodness, it sounds really tough!! Good luck with it...

And especially good luck with the Brit thing today - I hope you've been swatting up on such important facts as who played Ena Sharples in Coronation Street and what was the name of the Mule in that 50s kid's programme! lol

Oh yes, and what did Stepton and Sons do for a living! ha ha...

Enjoy the day! xxx

I do know how you feel. I was first taken seriously ill aged 17 and have spent the decade and a bit since then in and out of hospital for various things. I remember one surgeon trying to describe my body to me as 'like a house where the door has accidentally been put on the roof and the windows on the floor', and mentally I certainly felt that turned around. I found an old diary from my early 20s where I said I felt like a robot with wires that were frayed and faltering, signals failing, and a body that was falling apart. I'm not going to lie, I still get very upset when a new diagnosis restricts my life even more - one more step further from the normal I've always wanted to be.

But, you do learn to adapt and to deal (even if you never become delighted with your condition). It takes a while - that you've been thrown by it for a few weeks is more than understandable.

But gluten free is becoming more and more common as a way of eating. Members of my family have to eat gluten free not because of celiac but because gluten triggers a painful joint problem for them. My grandma is both gluten and dairy free and she's an amazing cook who loves her food.

You do have to be careful of processed foods and can't just grab what you used to, no. But just about every restaurant - even chains - now has a gluten free option if you ask for it - and almost no food is really off limits because there are gluten free versions of all the favourites. Yes some don't taste right (like Atkins replacements don't taste right) but they're getting better all the time and a lot taste amazing - even preferable to the carby version.

Ultimately this is going to make you healthier for life. Firstly because you'll be cutting out your allergy, of course, but also because the best way to be sure of what you're eating is to cook it yourself - you'll be eating great, fresh food. In so many cases gluten is added to food as a stabilizer to make it last longer than it should.

You'll also find great sources of gluten free products that you can buy for ease and convenience (make sure you get a prescription from your doctor so you can get some of these cheap).

Eventually you'll have your 'usuals' to buy and eat again - they'll just be different to what your 'usuals' once were.

-- good for you for getting back on the diet and keeping on. At least Atkins is a way of eating where you need worry about gluten far less so it should take the pressure off for now while you can develop a repertoire of favourite dishes.

And good good luck for today - at least that stress will be over!

Tigs my poor love, the biggest of big hugs - I've never had to deal with what you're going through and I think you're doing brilliantly, with everything else that's going on!

Well done on the citizenship - it can be a nightmare process! I'm lucky, a Scottish mum so I can come and go as I please with right of abode. Really glad that's behind you xxx

And Moonlight what a fabulous post, you are a lovely person, thank you for sharing that with us xxxxx

Back