Tight Budget recipes

pinkdust

Hi everyone

At the moment with christmas just around the corner Im trying to live on a budget but I can't think of very many lunches and dinner's that are really cheap with few ingredients.

If any of you can think of really cheap dinners and lunches on the EE plan it would be really appreciated if you could add them here for me :)

Thank you

For a cheep dinner/lunch I make a big bowl of pasta sald , just boil up ya pasta shells let them cool the add lattice tomatoes cucumber celery peppers onion you can even had grated carrots or any other salad type food.I like to mix in a spoon full of quark and crab sticks to mine to you can even add cheese as your HEa if you want.

Mushy pea curry - you can buy cans of mushy peas for 4p from Tesco!

Fry off mushrooms, peppers and onions in frylight (I also add chicken pieces). Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can of mushy peas and curry powder to suit. Stir well and allow to simmer for a few minutes - as easy as that! After removing from the heat, I sometimes stir through a coconut muller light to make it like a chicken korma.

Don't be put off by the mushy peas - you can't taste them, they just give it that curry texture.

Cheap as chips!

Jacket potato's with various toppings. Get a big cheap bag and it makes alot of meals. I like mine with baked beans, or I make up a veggie ratatoue type thing with onions tomatos courgettes and a sprinkle of cheese.

Fried egg,sw chips,bean
Sw quiche
I buy frozen fish from aldi,different varietie and have with mushy peas,chips,boiled pots

Princess_Stevie said:
Mushy pea curry - you can buy cans of mushy peas for 4p from Tesco!

Fry off mushrooms, peppers and onions in frylight (I also add chicken pieces). Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can of mushy peas and curry powder to suit. Stir well and allow to simmer for a few minutes - as easy as that! After removing from the heat, I sometimes stir through a coconut muller light to make it like a chicken korma.

Don't be put off by the mushy peas - you can't taste them, they just give it that curry texture.

Cheap as chips!

Dyu think u cud make a Thai red curry with the coconut yog??

Good idea for a thread, I'm on a very tight budget at the moment too, so will be following this one!

How about veggie soup and a HEB of bread? I made spicy lentil and tomato one and a chunky veg one the other week (using a bag of casserole veg from the supermarket that had been reduced).

Well always look out for bargains.
soups are good made in bulk (especially if you can get the veg reduced or from a market - we have a f&v stall at our local car boot)
pasta with a tomatoe sauce is good (you can make a Tom sauce with chopped tomatoes and passata with some herbs and and an onion)
Egg swchips and beans
spag hoops on toast
beans toast.

Always check the bargains thread before you go shopping and I know I am biast about this but don't be afraid to wander into somewhere like waitrose/m&s and check the bargains (we often have quite a few reduced goods in the way of meats ect. In my branch of WR, and our fish counter has some quite good end of day reductions too sometimes), following this plan it pays to know how to shop around.

pinkdust said:
Hi everyone

At the moment with christmas just around the corner Im trying to live on a budget but I can't think of very many lunches and dinner's that are really cheap with few ingredients.

If any of you can think of really cheap dinners and lunches on the EE plan it would be really appreciated if you could add them here for me :)

Thank you

My cheap and v quick fave is cous cous - make with chicken bovril, zap frozen veg (your preference) in micro bung together and enjoy. Takes 10 mins when u get in, is cheap, filling and a comfort. Or whisk eggs add veg stick in the oven to rise. x

FINALLY tried the mushy pea curry after being terrified and oh my god, it was amazing!

I'll have to go find this bargains thread! I love getting a good deal, I find sunday mornings are a good time for checking the 'reduced' section in the supermarket, idk if that's just when they do a sort out at my local or if that's all supermarkets! A lot of the time they have organic fruit and veg reduced to pennies. I never normally buy organic because it is too expensive but if it is cheap...!

Skulldilocks said:
FINALLY tried the mushy pea curry after being terrified and oh my god, it was amazing!

What's the recipe for this please, it sounds interesting. Sorry ignore this, just seen it a few posts earlier.

I tried the baked bean lasagne last night, my other half and me loved it and it made enough for four good size portions, and you can buy smart price for all the ingredients so makes it cheap to. :)

SSL555 said:
I tried the baked bean lasagne last night, my other half and me loved it and it made enough for four good size portions, and you can buy smart price for all the ingredients so makes it cheap to. :)

How did you make this please? X

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

yummymummie83 said:
How did you make this please? X

Fry in fry light 2 onions, 2 peppers, mushrooms, ( I then seasoned whilst frying with dry Italian herbs - optional), then add meat or quorn if you want you don't have to. Add 2 tins chopped tomatoes and 2 tins baked beans and simmer for 5 - 10 mins to heat through.

Layer mixture with lasagne sheets in a oven proof dish finishing with the mixture on top, cover dish with foil and bake in middle of oven for about 30-40 mins.

To finish sprinkle cheese on top (I used 4 x healthy extra as it was making 4 portions), placed back in oven foil off and melt cheese like you would normally on lasagne.

:)

SSL555 said:
Fry in fry light 2 onions, 2 peppers, mushrooms, ( I then seasoned whilst frying with dry Italian herbs - optional), then add meat or quorn if you want you don't have to. Add 2 tins chopped tomatoes and 2 tins baked beans and simmer for 5 - 10 mins to heat through.

Layer mixture with lasagne sheets in a oven proof dish finishing with the mixture on top, cover dish with foil and bake in middle of oven for about 30-40 mins.

To finish sprinkle cheese on top (I used 4 x healthy extra as it was making 4 portions), placed back in oven foil off and melt cheese like you would normally on lasagne.

:)

That sounds lovely Thankyou Soooo much x

Last night we had the SW minced beef hash.
Fry 2 diced onions, add 2 crushed cloves of garlic, a teaspoon cumin, and a deseeded and chopped green chilli. Fry for a few minutes then add 450g lean minced beef and brown. Add a couple of diced carrots, diced potatoes, some stock, a tin of toms and oregano. Simmer til cooked. You can add more veg to make it go further, or serve it with more veg. We had a big green salad after.

Back