Time to take control

Greenoak

I have just started my CDC STEP 1 plan

im male 55 years old. 92kg BMI32. I am type 2 diabetic. Plus a heart attack 8 years ago. Even that was enough to get me to get a grip of my weight and food

I recently moved with work and completely gave up looking after myself. No sport. Just out every night . I cannot recall the last meal i cooked. Ive not touched cooker or microwave since my new job, as i said eating out every day, and always a beer

Now the new GP read the riot act, said my hba1c reading was the highest it has ever been at 75, which was now in the out of control zone.

I was told I have 3 months to lose weight and get that reading was to under 50, or i would have a much stricter medical plan. He agreed i could try and diet but strongly said stop drinking

Now this is why i choose CD, I hate having to think about food. I almost never feel hungry. Food is just fuel, or a social activity. I lose count of food i buy and throw away a week later.A friend once told me when i go to supermarket, i should stop at wheelie bin and throw it all in as that is where it always goes.

I will be surprised if the lack of food bothers me, as im just not bothered, but the beer is a different story.

So here we go on route to taking control of my diabetes. FINALLY

Cambridge Weight Plan
14st 7lbs - Starting weight
14st 7lbs - Current weight
12st 7lbs - Goal weight IN 3 MONTHS

You can do this. Try finding inspiration with cooking. I am honestly super lazy when it comes to making food so I just keep ingredients clean and simple. As for the beer I know its hard. I have a family member who's addicted and I am doing everything I can to help this individual so that I don't lose them sooner. Another thing is try to think more positively. You would be amazed on how changing the way you think can shape your present and future. Each day just try to be better then you were yesterday. This is a lifestyle that will ensure you the ability to live a long and happy life, not some torturous diet you have to be on.

If you need any ideas or even a little motivation please let any one of us know!

xxx

Hi there I think it is worth a shot doing a vlcd to get you started. Medical option is shifting and actually approves of this type of diet now. In your case I’d go for it, if it doesn’t work for you well back to healthy eating. Word of warning first two weeks can be pretty hard goin but it does improve.
Good luck in regaining your health
Jenx

I struggled with the beer aspect. While i had a couple of blips at the beginning, focusing on the havoc the alcohol will create on top of a vlcd helped me a lot to kick this in the bum. Its difficult to stop the beer and food at the same time but I am sure you can do it, and im cheering you! You will be able to turn this around and get your diabetes under control. What is a beer now compared to you being able to live for longer and just have a drink a bit later on in the year? You can do it!
Ps. What worked for me was: i kept myself out of alcohol- related situations in the first week while keto settled in. Then i bought Dr Pepper Zero cans (as opposed to bottle). Altho a bit more expensive, it gives me the can-drinkin experience while everyone sits around with a been in their hand. I found that hugely comforting!

Back