tips for dieting/not gaining too much during pregnany?

LucyNewMum

Silver Member
hi all :)

im 29 weeks pregnant and so far have put on very close to 2 stone :( i had worked my ass off to go from almost 17st to 13st last year (after first baby) and now am 14st 12lbs

if anyone has any tips for curbing the choc and ice cream cravings, and mega mega portions that ive been consuming i would be very grateful. after last years dieting successful dieting (kick start on slim and save then rosemary conley) i realised that i need a strict regime to be successful, however being pregnant and running after an 18 month tends to mean that all structure of eating goes out the window lol.

really dont want to end up where i started last year- any and all advice appreciated :) xxx

I'm no expert and certainly no role model but just wanted to sympathise. I'm 25 weeks with twins and dread to think what the scales say now! Not weighed myself since about 12 weeks when I just started gaining. I'd been following slimming world up till then (bread fest days when I needed to stave off the ms aside) but then fell off the wag on. I've been eating whatever the hell I like since then, lots of calcium and protein plus all sorts of non nutricious crap.
I've had a little panic though and feel huge so I started back on SW on monday . It's going well so far, I'm making sure I eatplenty though as I tended to eat the minimum on it before being pg, not taking advantage of the free food.
I'm still not going to weigh myself - think seeing the gains I should with 2 in the third trimester would depress me, will just monitor progress by the look of my face, arms, legs etc ...I.e. The bits of me that aren't pregnancy related!!

Not sure if this is any help for you - more sympathy from a fellow struggler. Well done on that huge weight loss by the way. How did you lose that? Which plan?

Rach

Doh! Just spotted you did slim and save then RC. Have you ever tried slimming world, its good for having big portions and is recommended by midwives during pregnancy?

I'm no expert and certainly no role model but just wanted to sympathise. I'm 25 weeks with twins and dread to think what the scales say now! Not weighed myself since about 12 weeks when I just started gaining. I'd been following slimming world up till then (bread fest days when I needed to stave off the ms aside) but then fell off the wag on. I've been eating whatever the hell I like since then, lots of calcium and protein plus all sorts of non nutricious crap.
I've had a little panic though and feel huge so I started back on SW on monday . It's going well so far, I'm making sure I eatplenty though as I tended to eat the minimum on it before being pg, not taking advantage of the free food.
I'm still not going to weigh myself - think seeing the gains I should with 2 in the third trimester would depress me, will just monitor progress by the look of my face, arms, legs etc ...I.e. The bits of me that aren't pregnancy related!!

Not sure if this is any help for you - more sympathy from a fellow struggler. Well done on that huge weight loss by the way. How did you lose that? Which plan?

Rach

Hiya thank u for the reply :) congrats on the twins you must be so excited, will they be your first and second? I think that's a good idea to not look at the scales, less stress lol, but I still attends rosemary Conley class for the exercise and so I get weighed every week which is horribly depressing! Might just say no- but in a way I need to know so that I can track it. It's hard isn't it, I know what I need to do but when little one is having his afternoon nap I can't help reaching for the rubbish lol x

I would say Lucy don't force yourself to weight loss. Its important that you feel healthy, look healthy and most important you baby is growing healthy. Good luck.

Thank u :) tbh tho I do not feel healthy, and I can see my face, arms, legs going back to the 'fat me' stage where I swore I would never be again. I agree as long as baby is healthy then everything is good, but I don't think scoffing down 1000 cals of chocolate is good for baby lol ( this afternoon, intended to have a few squares and before I knew it the whole damn bar was gone). Going shopping tomorrow, gonna stock up on lots of healthy goodies. I don't mind eating a lot of its healthy :) might write out a plan of action to help keep me thinking of baby and nutrition needs rather than a diet x

Hiya thank u for the reply :) congrats on the twins you must be so excited, will they be your first and second? I think that's a good idea to not look at the scales, less stress lol, but I still attends rosemary Conley class for the exercise and so I get weighed every week which is horribly depressing! Might just say no- but in a way I need to know so that I can track it. It's hard isn't it, I know what I need to do but when little one is having his afternoon nap I can't help reaching for the rubbish lol x[/QUOTE]

Yes - numbers 1 & 2 for me!! Steep learning curve all round. ;-)

Hiya Lucy.. Hope all is well with you n bubs..
I think you're in the right place for support with weightloss/limitation during pregnancy..
Can imagine its almost impossible to be "organised" with a toddler to attend to.. But certainly having the presses n fridge stocked with healthy snacks is the best place to start..
I'm pregnant on my first baby.. Just got into the second trimest.. what a long 3 months those first ones are??!!! lol
Have lost 2.5 stone previous to getting pregnant and am determined to not gain too much thru this pregnancy.. I've still a way to go with my weightloss so I need to limit my gain as much as possible. The recommended gain for me is up to 15lb.. But i'm gona try to not gain even that much.. Obviously the healthy of my baby comes first tho.. I can lose whatever I need in the years following baby's arrival as long as it gets here OK.. But the best way of looking after its health, is for me to be healthy.. So its the best motivation for healthy there is I think?!
Anyway.. (kinda babbling there..) I'm following Slimming World through it.. Have chatted with my midwife and she's happy for me to do so as long as I make sure to get enough of the things that are limited on SW.. IE milk/cheese etc.. So altho am following SW, i'm not following to the letter.. Am not counting/tracking cheese or milk and toast is my saviour so am no counting that either.. Altho I am keeping a close eye on how much I eat!!
So far I've lost 3lb since finding out I was pregnant so am happy with that.. as a gain is not recommended in the first trimester.. So so far at least am on the right track :)

Back