TMI (i know) Constipation & BMs.

Rayven

Addicted to Minimins!
Ok so i know this is a bit of a TMI area but i've been doing Slimming World for month now - lost 11lbs so far & I'm eating loads - lots of fruit and veg, having whole meal bread, breakfast cereal etc & drinking probably 3-4 litres of water a day, but i'm lucky if i'm going to the toilet (no 2) once a week! Is this normal cos i'm getting a bit concerned.
For the first couple of weeks i thought maybe i was having too many red days, so opted for more green and loads of sweetcorn but that didn't help. Tried EE last week and that hasn't helped either.
Not in pain or anything but just seems a little....odd.

That would bother me. Better out than in.

Why not start the day with a slice of lemon in hot water? Cheaper than dyno-rod and quite pleasant to taste.

If you are eating lots of veg and water, you will be fine though. Maybe your body is still adjusting.

Why not start the day with a slice of lemon in hot water?
Does that help?

And have a Mullerlight maybe every other day - not over doing it with them. I am eating at least 1 banana everyday and lots of eggs - i don't suppose thats helping.
That would bother me. Better out than in.
TMI again i know - but its not like i'm constipated - there just doesn't seem to be anything there to come out! But given the amount of food i'm eating there should be!! I go more when i'm doing Slimfast!! lol

(BTW sorry if this thread offends or disgusts anyone but i had to ask as was getting quite worried)

Ok so i know this is a bit of a TMI area but i've been doing Slimming World for month now - lost 11lbs so far & I'm eating loads - lots of fruit and veg, having whole meal bread, breakfast cereal etc & drinking probably 3-4 litres of water a day, but i'm lucky if i'm going to the toilet (no 2) once a week! Is this normal cos i'm getting a bit concerned.
For the first couple of weeks i thought maybe i was having too many red days, so opted for more green and loads of sweetcorn but that didn't help. Tried EE last week and that hasn't helped either.
Not in pain or anything but just seems a little....odd.

Hmm, I would have thought your tum would have settled down and adjusted by now. Once a week whilst eating lots of fruit & veg does seem a bit extreme.

I too would recommend a hot water with lemon ... or something like a lemon & ginger tea which I am currently addicted to ;)

I have to say I have never been so regular! Something which I am most happy about! :D

You don't have to answer this but are you on some kind of medication which could be affecting you?

You don't have to answer this but are you on some kind of medication which could be affecting you?

I hadn't actually thought of that! Yeah i'm on anti-depressants for PND. Never heard of this being a side-effect though. Might try the lemon and hot water thing.

Hhhmmmm. I too would be a bit concerned? I go at least once a day (lol! Defo TMI!!) which I'd put down to all the fruit & veg.
How many eggs are you eating? They do tend to have a 'bunging up' effect!!
Try fresh pineapple & ripe pears. Should do the trick! ;)

Exercise really helps, if I spend too long on the recumbent bike at the gym ti need to go home in a hurry!

The only things I can suggest is drink plenty of water, if you exercise drink even more to replanish what's lost. Exercise does help with bowel movements.

I suffer from IBS and used to struggle to go once a week and even since doing slimming world I usually only go twice a week at the most (unless I'm nervous then god help me . . . damn you IBS)

I do think though that society needs to break the habit of going once a day as this can lead to people getting anxious over it and self medicating with laxatives and then taking something to help it stop (I've seen this alot with my work with the elderly). Sometimes our bodies are slower at digesting foods than other people's.

Maybe ask you doctor if it concerns you as you will be getting enough fibre doing SW and you seem to be drinking enough.

Have you tried senakot? or Ortisan cubes?
The Ortisan cubes are fruit and fibre cubes you chew and are quite nice in a pruney kind of way.
They're not cheap but as another "1 a week girl" these have helped me to "go"
Cedar Health Ortisan Fruit Cubes

My cousin came off SW on the advice of her doctor as she was having real troubles with painful bunged up-ness, wrong sort of fibre or not enough of the right one due to the very limited quantity of HEXB thing or something like that.

I personally eat a fairly repetative diet yet one week I'll be once a day as I always used to, then two or three times a day!! then I can go 4 or 5 days without going and that does get painful for me and no senakot or anything helps at all. No problems before SW now totally random toilet habits a year down the line still....

I could have written the first post - i have severe long periods of time between going to the toilet.

It used to bother me - but now i just have some scan bran cake, fibre plus bars etc - and then i can go.

I think as i do a lot of red days - so i am having eggs, bananas, red meat - this all can cause blocking up.

I also dont drink enough water and dont drink any tea or coffee (which is what some people swear by!)

I used to have a weekly scoff after weigh in (chocs, takeaway, crisps etc) and it resulted in a trip to the loo as i has injested too much rich food at once. Not a pretty sight, but it solved a problem in a way.

If i have severe discomfort i find Ducolax have the desired effect. Although, sometimes, not that pleasant an experience.

Wish you luck - try the water and lemon - or coffee is brilliant too!

x

I also had this prob about a month into the diet, somebody recommended peppermint tea. try drinking several cups - it works!!

I was never regular in the once a day fashion prior to starting SW - once every 3 or 4 days. For the first month or so - that continued or even went longer. But did finally settle down into something more "regular". It's the body adjusting and taking in what it needs that may have been missing from your previous diet. If it starts causing pain or you do get extremely worried - then a trip to the GP is definately in order. But if you're not feeling "bunged up" - then I'd just wait for it to settle down - which it will do eventually - though again - if it persists - go to GP.

My uncle swears by peppermint tea, sometimes with honey. I swear by black coffee with sweetener! Recently swapped my coffees for teas, I go more than once a day most days. Sometimes I don't go for four or five days and it really bugs me but it doesn't get painful. A hot water bottle helps, and my cousin suggested sitting with your knees up, which I think really really helps if you have a spare five/ten mins. Alternatively, rub your tummy in a clockwise motion with a fist, putting most pressure between 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock! My aunty was told to do this to her premature daughter as she was very very very constipated.

...My family need to sort themselves out! :eek: xxx

I swear by linseed. I was well bunged up when on pain killers and anti-inflams for a bad back recently. Started on the linseed again and sorted it all out. I put a good dollop of it in natural yoghurt and actually quite enjoy it. I expect it should be synned though

My latest find is Psyllium husk. I had EXACTLY the same problems, only mine were made worse by IBS and I really need to go regularly to keep my symptoms in check. I started taking a desert spoon of Psyllium husks in my breakfast yoghurt each day and the results have been amazing, I hardly ever get constipated now.

You can pick it up really cheaply, I got a massive 500g bag from ebay for about £7 and a month on I'm not even halfway through it.

I've used psyllium husk in the past too. Its supposed to be even better than linseed but I like linseed

I did a little at first, and I put it down to the fact that I'd stopped eating canned prunes as part if my,breakfast (to avoid the syns). Then I just thought did it, synned them (over 6 days one can works 2 syns a day). I am fine now. I was never sure if it was the prunes I'd just my just settling down though.

Back