Tofu jerky recipe help

thescaleslie

I have searched through site and tried google and can't find a recipe for tofu jerky. I did find one on site that said it was soy sauce and spices but no quantites and specific spices to use. Google was recommending I used liquid smoke and I have no idea where I would get that from round me!

Can any one help me?

1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions

Place tofu block between paper towels on a plate. Set another plate on top, and put a weight on top of the plate such as a can to press the water from the block of tofu while you prepare the sauce.
In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, black pepper, barbeque sauce and brown sugar until smooth.
Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and dip them in the sauce to coat. Place in a tightly sealed container. Place in the refrigerator, and let marinate for one to two hours.
Preheat the oven to the lowest temperature, around 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Line the oven rack with heavy duty aluminum foil, and place in the lowest position of the oven. Place the tofu slices on the foil.
Bake for about 8 hours, checking and turning over tofu slices every few hours. Tofu jerky is done when it is hard and uniformly dark in color.

Now just to make it SW friendly :)

Thanks I have no idea where I can get liquid smoke from but will google it and try to make it SW friendly over the weekend.

Thanks I have no idea where I can get liquid smoke from but will google it and try to make it SW friendly over the weekend.

Liquid smoke is what it's called over in the US. Supermarkets sell Maggi Liquid Seasoning which is the same thing! Took me years to find this out myself

Thanks I am hoping to try and make some tofu jerky while off with the kids so will look out for maggi seasoning. hoping its going to turn out ok

There's a recipe in How it all Vegan for Tofu Jerky that is SW friendly.

1lb extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup Braggs or soy sauce
3-4 tbsp liquid smoke (I guess you'd use maggi seasoning)
1/8 cup water
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove crushed
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp sweetner

Cut the drained tofu into long narrow strips (about 1/4in in thickness). They may look big but they will shrink during baking. In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, liquid smoke, water, onion powder, garlic, pepper, and sweetner.Place the tofu strips in a shallow baking pan or on a cookie sheet and pour the marinade over them. Let them marinade several hours or overnight for best results.
Bake the tofu in the oven for about 4-6 hours at 200F (95C). Turn the tofu over once every hour so that it bakes evenly. Continue until the texture is very chewy but not crispy. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid.
Let me know if you want a cajun recipe as well. You just change the seasonings around. I don't know if you can get cajun seasoning over there but I have a recipe to make it.

Back