Tofu, thought I'd cracked it

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by eye6769, 31 January 2009 Social URL.

1. eye6769

eye6769 Vegetarian who lives2eat

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    SW
    really fed up with the taste of plain Tofu and find it very difficult to get the smoked or marinated ones here (I live in a land of meat eaters, veggies are from another planet), so I thought if I sliced it in finger sized pieces,coated it in marmite sprayed with light and grilled it, it would go crispy and taste great, WRONG, I still ended up with something that resembles solid scrambled egg.
    Anyone got any good ideas ?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. dehli

dehli Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.47%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    You could try marinading it overnight in a bowl of chopped garlic, chilli and soy sauce. Or you could coat it in some beef bovril and put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes before adding to a stir fry if you like it with a firmer texture. I think you just grilled it too long, it doesn't take much cooking.

4. DearFatty

DearFatty Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6lb(28.97%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I dislike Tofu however you dress it up but have friends who love the stuff (ick). They say marinating for long periods of time helps and also deep frying it, but that is obviously out lol. Have you tried marinating it, then baking it in the oven to get that crunchier texture ?

5. eye6769

eye6769 Vegetarian who lives2eat

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    SW
    will try marinating for longer,cant use bovril coz I am vegetarian but will make up a syn free sauce and try again. I really like it deep fried then added to stir frys .gives a good texture,but not good for the diet.thanks for ideas, more welcome

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.