Tofu, thought I'd cracked it

eye6769

Vegetarian who lives2eat
really fed up with the taste of plain Tofu and find it very difficult to get the smoked or marinated ones here (I live in a land of meat eaters, veggies are from another planet), so I thought if I sliced it in finger sized pieces,coated it in marmite sprayed with light and grilled it, it would go crispy and taste great, WRONG, I still ended up with something that resembles solid scrambled egg.
Anyone got any good ideas ?

You could try marinading it overnight in a bowl of chopped garlic, chilli and soy sauce. Or you could coat it in some beef bovril and put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes before adding to a stir fry if you like it with a firmer texture. I think you just grilled it too long, it doesn't take much cooking.

I dislike Tofu however you dress it up but have friends who love the stuff (ick). They say marinating for long periods of time helps and also deep frying it, but that is obviously out lol. Have you tried marinating it, then baking it in the oven to get that crunchier texture ?

will try marinating for longer,cant use bovril coz I am vegetarian but will make up a syn free sauce and try again. I really like it deep fried then added to stir frys .gives a good texture,but not good for the diet.thanks for ideas, more welcome

Back