tofu

debswithers

please help . ok so im going from green to EE....haven't got new books yet getting them tomorrow in group But decided to give EE ago i would like to ask anyone know much about tofu? (I'm a veggie) .......Any tips and whats the best one to get..not had it before in my life lol thankyou :confused: XX

Tofu is fantastic BUT it does need preparing and cooking properly. Badly cooked tofu can turn you off for life! The most important thing to remember about tofu is that it needs pressing before you prepare it (if you are using firm tofu, which is the most common in the UK). I usually buy Cauldron tofu (in the chiller cabinet, usually with the Quorn products in supermarkets).

To press - put a wad of kitchen roll or a clean teatowel on a plate, put the tofu on top, then more kitchen roll/teatowel and another plate. Put a weight on top (eg. tins of beans). Leave for a while - the water will drain out of the tofu. I usually leave mine for at least an hour.

There are several ways of cooking tofu - the important thing to remember is that it has little or no taste of its own and requires a lot of flavouring. A couple of my favourite ways to prepare it are:

- marinaded and baked: slice the tofu and marinade the slices for at least an hour, flipping the slices a couple of times. Marinades can be what ever you like, eg. lemon juice/garlic/black pepper; soy sauce/lemon juice/chilli sauce - the possiblilities are endless!

- scrambled: once the tofu is pressed, crumble it into bitesize pieces. There are literally hundreds of tofu scramble recipes: here is the way I do it most often. Fry an onion/red pepper/chilli/garlic in Frylight or a little olive oil. Add a teaspoon each of turmeric/cumin/curry powder and cook for a minute or two. Add the tofu and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add a splash of soy sauce, cook and stir for another minute. Add a splash of lemon juice, stir and serve.

As I said, there are hundreds of variations - google tofu scramble/baked tofu and you will find dozens of recipes.

I like to freeze my tofu and then defrost it and press it - it gives a chewier texture.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Jo, I had a traumatic home tofu experience and had given up on it (though would nom eating out). Will give it another go!

Q

Thankyou so much JO ive been of the comp for a while sorry......But thanks ever so much thats a great help X:)

I love tofu! I just wanted to add that I don't marinade or spice it as I really like its own delicate flavour added to a seasoned stir fry. M!

Also you can use silken tofu to make chocolate mousse. Just whizz it up with sweetener and a tablespoon of cocoa powder for a yummy treat.

I really like the smoked tofu baked with wholegrain mustard and honey, yum :) x

Back