Too low a calorie intake?

Nymeria

Hiya, as the title states- I just wanted to ask if there is such a thing in having too low of a calorie intake, without exercising, on a healthy eating diet?

With the aid of Slimpods and Paul McKenna, I have curbed my appetite and diet drastically. It takes much more smaller portions to fill me up (the mindful eating techniques really help!).

I always relay back my food diary on to my partner and today's calorie intake came upto 550 calories. I'll probably have some fruit later on too but again, this will still keep it low. It has previously come up to around 700-1000.

The figures appear to show that I'm somewhat "starving" myself or on a VLCD but I'm really not. Just choosing healthier foods that have lower calories but are still really filling. Does anyone know if this is unhealthy? Or possibly bring about some negative changes? I'm not too concerned as to go to the Doctor's as to be honest they'll probably just look at me and say "Just lose weight and not worry about eating too less" or something.. :rolleyes: I thought it was best to ask and find out from the more experienced dieters.

I had this issue addressed in a previous thread.

Main negative I found was losing weight, unhealthily will be affecting your metabolism, very badly. It can also not give you enough nutrients you need, daily. There was a link that someone posted with a great article on the effects but I'll look through it later in my history but I have to head to class now. =]

You cannot get all the nutrition your body needs in less than 1000 calories. Our body is like a car. We can fill it with the most expensive gas with lots of good stuff, but if you don't fill it up all of the way then you'll run out and your car won't start. And no, you can't just "re-fill" it because that would mean eating more than or at 1200 calories a day.

I was on a vlcd before eating maybe 500 if not less a day and I stopped loosing weight even though I wasn't eating because my metabolism became so poor

Back