Too many cheeseburgers in paradise

orange_blossom

Hi all. I really could use some support, and this looks like one of the nicest bunch of "losers" out there (meant kindly, as in, weight losers).

I'm 50 years old, an empty nester, and have about 86lb to lose. I think that's about 6st2lb? I've yo-yo'd about 20-30 lbs at a time throughout most of my life. But I've never gotten even close to this big, not even when I was pregnant, until the past few years.

I used to be a fairly fit, attractive woman, but now I'm a reclusive, unhealthy blob. Why? Fat is my protection and my shield, I think. A few months after filing for divorce and moving far away from my psycho ex-husband who inflicted life-altering permanent physical damage to me as well as untold emotional trauma, I was in a department store and a man flirted outrageously with me and tried to ask me for a date. Nothing creepy; any other woman would probably have been flattered. But that was a huge trigger for me. The LAST thing I wanted was to attract any man again, or be in a relationship again. Ever. The very idea scared me to death, because I have lived through the hell of not only one but TWO abusive marriages, one short and one about 15 years too long. What's a freaked-out girl to do? I went home and started eating. And ate. And kept eating. Initially it was a comfort thing, like "I need this happy-food!" Then it just got completely out of control. That binge lasted about 3 months. Not kidding. The fatter I got, the more reclusive I became. The more reclusive I became, the less active I was. The less active, the fatter I got. And so on.

I have tried dieting a few times in the past couple of years, but every time I've lost about 20-30 lbs and started to feel a little bit attractive again, I chickened out and gave up, gaining a lot more afterward.

Well, here I am four years later, nearly twice the size I was when I escaped connubial hell. I'm still not ready to date again (hope never to be), but that's a whole other issue. I have completely let myself go. I never even wear makeup any more, nor style my hair, I just comb it straight out of the shower, and pull it into a tight bun while it's still wet. Part of me misses feeling "pretty", but not enough to conquer the fear. I am unrecognizable from the person I once was even as recently as 5 or 10 years ago, and that's ok, even a relief, on many levels.

The issue at hand, though, is that being fat is taking a toll on my health. My knees hurt, my hips hurt, my feet are flat, my heart is enlarged, my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers are through the roof. I have heartburn around the clock, so I go through a bottle of antacid tablets each month. I live 40 minutes away from some of the most incredible beaches in the world, and I've never been to any of them because I'm too self-conscious of my fat. I live about 20 minutes away from Disney World, and I have never been there -- I'm not about to pay a couple hundred dollars just to wander around a huge park in hot humid weather with achy knees and feet, heart pounding out of my chest, and short of breath just from walking a short distance. If and when I go, I want to feel well enough to enjoy it!

So my weight loss motivation this time is different: I need to lose weight for my health and because being fat literally HURTS! Joints, heart, lungs, clothes that pinch and bind... ouch. Admittedly I would like to enjoy life again. I've sort of forgotten what that's about. I'd like to finally crawl out from under, rediscover who I really am or can be. Most of all, I know that to finally DO this, I need to somehow find the courage to shed my comforting fat shell, if for no other reason than to feel better physically.

I did try Dukan nearly a year ago, but got scurvy by the time I lost 30lbs (ironic, I know. I have an orange tree and grapefruit tree in my back yard). But the scurvy gave me a convenient excuse to just go off Dukan completely, rather than just modify it or increase vitamin supplements... and I gained it all back plus 10lbs more.

I don't really have a specific diet in mind at this point. Am open to ideas. Thinking of trying Dukan again or similar modified low-carb, since carbs are my "comfort" foods that I've become so addicted to. Only this time I must remember to take vitamins consistently...

Really sorry that you have suffered so much as a result of your ex husband. Sounds awful but it's good that you've come this far and actually started thinking about a way to lose weight. I hope you find a way through this. Have a look at the different diets people here are doing and hopefully you'll find one that suits you. There is a whole section on low carbing so start there. Good luck x

Orange Blossom

I think that the way you've spoken it already shows the great inner strength you have.

I'm sorry for your abuse, but being a believer in Karma, I'm sure he'll get it back tenfold.

It's easy to stay in an abusive relationship and it's an ever downward spiral so the fact you made the decision on a life without him was a great first step.

The new stage is wanting to be able to make a decision and then taking the first step and then the next and with support you'll keep walking until your heart, hips and joints are content.

Good luck to you in your quest xx

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Colmarnock. I believe in Karma, too, in this life or a future one.

You're correct, too, about "with support". I had become so accustomed to enforced isolation, and it's taken a very long time to re-learn to reach out, even after I got away. This forum is a first step.

btw I love your signature. (I love Iron Maiden. That song says it all. :))

Absolutely love them too.

Without a doubt the best band in the world and they are also fantastic lyricists.

I'm glad you like them

My musical tastes run all over the map. But imo there are too few good lyricists these days - "baybeeee bayyybeeeeee" or "ef it" or "umbrellla ella ella ay ay ay". Oy!

Then again, lyrics are sometimes overrated...it's difficult to best a great jazz sax.

Hi Scarlett, yes, I've decided to restart Dukan since I've already got the book and it does work for me. It was only my own stupidity that caused me to end up with scurvy last time I tried it. This time I will be taking vitamin supplements and making sure my food choices are higher in vit. C as much as possible. Today's going to be my first actual day on it, though. Took me a couple of days nosing around to decide what plan to go with.

How about you? Plan? Looks like you are making some fast progress!

I'm glad you've come to a decision and I hope you're successful :). I'm calorie counting but I've switched to the up day down day diet. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how I do. So far so good tho :) x

Hello xx I'm new too and I have also struggled with yo yo dieting. I really want lose about 60lbs and keep it off forever!! With the help of you lovely peeps I think it will be easier this time around :)

Back