Too much Exercise???

Jay Jay

Been on my diet since June this year and have only managed to lose 9lb so far. I have spoken to the doctor who ran bloods and all is well and I am currently seeing the health care assistant for weigh-ins. My weight just isn't budging!

On Friday we went through my food and exercise diary for last month. The food is all ok, but she thinks I'm doing too much exercise??? Apparently too much exercise has the same effect as too little food and the body goes into famine mode! Has anybody else heard of this?

I was doing an hour Mon/Wed/Fri (split into 2 x 30 mins) and 30 mins on Tues/Thurs with a good walk or short bike ride with my 4 year old at the weekend. She has suggested that I cut this down to 30 mins 3 times a week!

I need to lose 4 stone to be my 'ideal weight' but want to lose 2 st before trying for another baby.

Anyone got any thoughts on this and any suggestions on how to get the weight shifting.

Any replies greatly appreciated!

What food are you eating at the moment? I would think the low-carb approach would work best to kickstart the loss from the standstill you seem to be in.
I've heard about too much exercise being detrimental to weightloss too, also, once the exercise tapers off once target is achieved the weight inevitably comes back as the body has become used to a certain amount of exercise.
Hope you start to lose again soon, its so frustrating when you get stuck in diet-limbo. x

Just wondering what diet plan you are following?

Thank you for your replys!

I'm currently doing a low fat calorie counting diet. I stick to around 1200 to 1400 calories a day and have no more than 3% fat per 100g. I did think that maybe I should try cutting back on the carbs as I do eat alot of pasta and rice, but I have changed from egg/white and now eat wholegrain/brown.

I've no idea where to go from here, but I'm sticking with it and will plod on...

oh Ive not heard of too much exercise before! ive also had problems loosing the weight just on a diet the weight stood still for weeks, so I go to the gym three times a week and burn 500 calories then the rest of the time I go on the exercise bike for half an hour.

Hi Jay Jay,

First of all congrats on the 9lbs, good going!

I've found in my own experience when I hit a limbo state like that, cutting down on carbs can really help. I found that the best way for me personally was to live on tuna salad for a week. Tuna's got practically zero fat and is mostly protein, and while the salad has carbs it's not huge amounts like pasta or rice.

Well it worked nicely for me anyway.

Hope that helps

Elle

Maybe just cut out bread for a week and see where that goes? It could be that although you don't have an intolerance as such that wheat & carbs together is getting too much for you to process? It sounds bizarre I know but I went through a stage where this happened so I stopped bread for a while and it really boosted my metabolism, then I gradually added it back in once the weight started dropping off again.
Could have been a total coincidence - but it worked so placebo or not I was happy :D LOL

I'm just wondering about this actually. I don't get what I consider to be an excessive amount of exercise. I walk a brisk three miles every morning, then try and eat well. So far it has worked fine for me, almost two stone gone.

But, this weekend I was visiting a relative. I didn't get any exercise other than wandering round shops, and I ate more fattening things than I normally would, yet I have still lost 2lbs this week.

I don't know if it's possible that the effects of the weekend hadn't caught up with me yet? But I'm now wondering if I ought to stop exercising so much at weekends to give my body a break. And maybe if I should treat myself occasionally whilst on the diet, which I've tried hard not to do (except small treats- like a square of chocolate).

I want to commit to my diet, but I don't want to overdo it. Maybe it's more of a balancing act than I realised.

Hazelnut i think you probably still lost weight because when you increase your exercise you start to build muscle which burns fat even at a resting state, which is fantastic as itmeans all that hard work is paying off. I don't think cutting back on exercise would harm your weight loss if you get plenty during the week at the most it would slightly slow down the rate which youlose weight at.

Back