Too much fruit

pammyd

Silver Member
D'ya think its possible to eat too much fruit? I've been having average/slow losses and wondered if I was eating too much fruit. Pre SW I wasn't a big fruit eater, not 'cos I don't like it, because I had better things to spend my "points" on. (Guess which diet I was on :break_diet:). Anyway I now eat some every day, probably between 2 and 4 pieces, not instead of something but as well as. Am thinking this may be slowing my loss down, its additional food that I wouldn't have had in my pre SW days, if you get what I mean. Would really, really love that 1 big loss week...:sigh:

Hi.

I eat loads of fruit. I have just fruit for breakfast. 3 pieces. I have fruit with yogurt after lunch and fruit with yogurt after dinner and eat fruit in between.

The fruits I eat generally are, just 1 banana a day but unlimited plums, peaches, pears and melon.

My weight loss has been consistent. 1 or 2lbs a week with just one week of no weight loss.

I am not an expert, far from it and am sure there will be someone who can help better than I can. This is just what happens with me.

I would say that eating anything just for the sake of it is not great, regardless of what it is. If you are hungry or craving food, fruit is great, but to eat any item of food for no reason is not really listening to your body signals of hunger and sateity.

Naturally slim people have the ability to know when their body needs fuel- we need to try and re-educate ourselves to do this, so defo eat as much fruit as possible, but try and do it when you need a snack and not just because you can

xxxxxxx

Hiya Pammyd I totally agree with Cocktailprincess here. I think we think..... well I at least I thought in the beginning...... ":D yeah its free food we can eat loads :D"....... I did...... but if your not hungry and not using the food up as energy your gonna lay it down as stores! And some fruit contains loads of natural sugar like grapes, so I think moderation is key.

Just because its free food doest alter the fact that you still have to burn more than you eat. To me free food means there is food you can eat without worrying when you are actually hungry. xx

I'm not sure that 2-4 pieces of fruit per day would really slow down weight loss. Have you thought it could be something else?

Best plan is to start a food diary if you havent already and keep track of every single thing that passes your lips. Soon be able to identify any issues through that :)

tbh it hasnt effected me in the past and i have about 3 pieces a day but a few in my group have recently been asking the same thing after gaining a lot since eating more fruit during the hotter weather espacially cherries consultant said 2-3 bits a day should not effect any weight losses over that could but every one is different. hope that helps :)

Its all depending what fruit you are eating Hun.
Things like bananas and grapes are well known for hindering a weight loss because they are naturally high in sugars.
These should be fruit that you eat in moderation if you think it is affecting your weight.

Thanks everyone - another thing to think about, I think I'll be more aware of what I eat, just looked, today have eaten, banana, melon, satsuma, apple, nectarine and its only lunch...

Why not try having extra veg with your meals, or chopping up things like cucumber/carrots and having them instead of fruit.

Could try that for a week and see how you go :)

Just remember to have your 5 portions a day that's for fruit and veg together!

5 portions of fruit and veg is just bad science,there is no evidence hat five is the optimum amount, look into it it's crazy! It was just a nice number to tell us!

To get to the OP. I have tonnes of fruit,I eat a banana with breakfast, then I have about 2 apples, 2 oranges, couple of big handfuls of strawberries & raspberries and 1/3 of a pineapple most days... I am consistently losing 1.6lbs a week...

Hiya Pammyd I totally agree with Cocktailprincess here. I think we think..... well I at least I thought in the beginning...... ":D yeah its free food we can eat loads :D"....... I did...... but if your not hungry and not using the food up as energy your gonna lay it down as stores! And some fruit contains loads of natural sugar like grapes, so I think moderation is key.

Just because its free food doest alter the fact that you still have to burn more than you eat. To me free food means there is food you can eat without worrying when you are actually hungry. xx

Absolutely agree with this and where people go wrong .. part of this lifestyle change we are partaking in needs to be realisation that when eating its just as much as the body needs and no more. Eating without control and what we 'want' without consideration got us where we are .... overweight.

5 portions of fruit and veg is just bad science,there is no evidence hat five is the optimum amount, look into it it's crazy! It was just a nice number to tell us!

To get to the OP. I have tonnes of fruit,I eat a banana with breakfast, then I have about 2 apples, 2 oranges, couple of big handfuls of strawberries & raspberries and 1/3 of a pineapple most days... I am consistently losing 1.6lbs a week...

Added to this there is no evidence or clinical trials to prove that the food pyramid that we are told to abide by for a healthy life is true. Its never been proven or even tested.

Back