Too Much Water

monty1978

Yesterday I drank over 4 litres of water throughout the day.
I thought that this was too much, but I was thirsty!
How much water, only, do you drink?

I even out my fluids in teh day between coffee / coke / water. I average 2 litres of fluids a day. I was actually reading about this a couple of weeks ago and it reckoned that too much fluids can be a bad thing too........not sure how though, can't remember what it said. Will have to look it up. I imagine though that only dong it occasionally is not going to be any bother at all. Remember if you have salt in your food to drink plenty to counteract that.

Just found this site about it....very informative
[h=1]Why Drinking Water Is Important for Weight Loss[/h][h=2]Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial[/h]There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

• Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
  • The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
  • Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
  • Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
  • Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
  • A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
  • Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
[h=2]How Much Water Should I Drink?[/h]You have probably heard that you should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. How much water you actually need depends on your weight, level of activity, the temperature and humidity of your environment, and your diet. Your diet makes a difference because if you eat plenty of water-dense foods like fruits and vegetables your need to drink water will be diminished.
You can do some research and use a calculator and measuring cup if you like, but nature's pretty good at letting you know the right amount to drink. When you drink enough water, your urine will usually be pale yellow, though vitamin supplements and antibiotics can discolor it. On the other hand, you shouldn't need to run to the bathroom too frequently. When in doubt, drink a little more.
Do not worry that drinking water will give your body a bloated look. There are a number of causes of water retention, including consuming too much salt. But drinking water is not one of them.
It is possible to harm yourself by drinking too much water, but it takes quite an effort. Either through obsessive-compulsive behavior or extended athletic activity, drinking large amounts of water can dilute the electrolytes (sodium and potassium) in your blood to the point that it interferes with brain, heart and muscle function. Athletes compound the problem with the loss of sodium (salt) through sweating, but can drink electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade Endurance Formula to help keep things in balance.
[h=2]Tips on Drinking Water[/h]
  • Drinking other liquids also provides your body with a source of water, but note that diuretics cause your body to expel water. Diuretics include caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea and soda) and alcohol. When drinking diuretics, drink more water to compensate.When drinking alcohol, drinking water along with it as well as before and afterward may eliminate a hangover headache and feeling of tiredness. The water is optional; driving is not.
  • When you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Try to avoid this situation by drinking in advance. Be especially careful when participating in activities where you won't be able to stop to get caught up.
  • You've heard countless advertisements telling you what product to start your day with. We recommend a couple of glasses of water to rehydrate your body. No charge.

Yeah quite right too much water can in fact dilute the sugars and salt in your body. It can cause you to get cramps and sometimes an irregular heart beat. Shouldn't be a problem if it was a one off binge but if it is a regular thing that you cant get rid me the thirst it might be worth checking things out with your doc, maybe you are developing diabetes. X x x ooh hark at me all doom and gloom sorry!!!

thnks for that Annie, i knew I'd read it somewhere, so I am always careful of how much I do drink, i try not to go too far over my 8 a day now....2ltrs

thanks for all the replies... I know water is very good for you and you should always get at least 2 litres a day
I haven't drunk that much since then, thankfully :D

thanks for all the replies... I know water is very good for you and you should always get at least 2 litres a day
I haven't drunk that much since then, thankfully :D

It doesn't have to be 2ltrs of water a day though hunni, 2ltrs of any fluid is good. x

I think 2 litres of any fluid is a bit extreme. 2 litres of SF fizzy pop would cause u no end of problems.. Water all the way and anything else on top of that should be seen as a bonus

I think 2 litres of any fluid is a bit extreme. 2 litres of SF fizzy pop would cause u no end of problems.. Water all the way and anything else on top of that should be seen as a bonus

I didn't strictly mean it had to be the same fluid. I have coke / coffee / water. I hate water, its horrid and tasteless but I do try. Good for you if you can drink 2ltrs of water...plus more, blimey you'd be on the loo all the time LOL.

I didn't strictly mean it had to be the same fluid. I have coke / coffee / water. I hate water, its horrid and tasteless but I do try. Good for you if you can drink 2ltrs of water...plus more, blimey you'd be on the loo all the time LOL.

Lol, I wish that was the case, it didn't change anything in that department :cry: I'm still as slow moving there!

Fludis only make me need a wee ten times a day, as for tuther, its more like every other day LOL. Not bothered though, if body needs it it'll flush out LOL

Back