Too Thin Husband!! Help!

Beverley8603

Husband has lost weight again. Have had to go out and buy peanut butter, bacon, olives, fruit cake etc. All to tempt him to eat more. Quite exasperating!!

He loses weight so rapidly if I don't watch him. He is now just over 9 stone again and he is (was!) nearly 6 foot. It is so hard to get the weight on him and get the weight off me at the same time!!

One thing is, he never or rarely keeps still. He is always doing something. Very hyperactive.

Any tips gratefully received.

What about buying him some of that weight gainer powder stuff that makes a milkshake sort of drink, then at least you are not being tempted to eat all the lovely fattening food you are buying for him.xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks Saz
Have tried that in the past but it reminds him of his mother! She was so lovely and sadly died some years ago.

I am finding it hard and have done for many years as he needs to keep the fat content down but build up the weight.

He had a heart attack 3 years ago due to furred up arteries. At that time he was so afraid of fat in his diet his weight plummeted to 8 stone (if that) and the nurses in hospital said 'don't you feed him?' Before they could do a by-pass they had to fatten him up with bed rest and big meals!!

Perhaps if I got him some body builders stuff it would not be such an emotional thing? Will look into that.

Feel like I am in a no win situation!!

Beverley - has his GP checked that there is no other reason for him losing weight - like coeliac disease, for example? If he has a clean bill of health, I think you might just have to cook (for him) in a lot of oil! Health food shops also sell protein bars which are pretty calorific (they are for people who do a lot of exercise/weight training) - would he eat them?

There is no underlying cause for his low weight. Those bars sound like a good idea!

Yes, he would probably eat them. Problem is he wanders off to allotment etc and forgets to eat!! How can anyone forget to eat. I spend a lot of my life trying to forget!! I'll get some and stash them in his car....

Yes, cook in extra virgin olive oil and believe this or not he has before now demolished a family size home cooked shepherds pie, ditto lasgane! He can really stuff the food away but then burns it all off. Daughter is the same. She rang from Aus and had lost loads of weight so was forcing herself to eat more.

Exasperated........

I agree deffo see his gp and rule Out any medical reasons such as his thyroid

X

lucysmommy said:
I agree deffo see his gp and rule Out any medical reasons such as his thyroid

X

Sorry just seen your reply after :)

X

Am cooking a huge shepherds pie for tonight. Lots of buttery potatos on top and cheese. If he doesn't have a good two helpings I'll be amazed. Really push the boat out with herbs etc.

I have to tease his tastebuds to get him to eat enough. Trouble is shepherds pie is one of my favourite foods!

Did think of slimmers meals for me and my meals for him but the extra expense is crazy! I'll just have to grit my teeth.

I'll take a look at those body building bars. Could be just the thing!

Thanks guys for reading this, it really does drive me crazy sometimes!!

Sorry to hear of your stressfull situation Beverley! It's lovely that you're trying so hard to help your husband. If it's any consolation, my brother is exactly the same - always been thin or very thin. Often forgets to eat and has no interest in food. He once said to me that if there was a pill you could take once a day that would provide all the nutrients he needed so he didn't need to mess around with food, he'd take it!

Could you make to different pies. A fattier one for your husband and then using a much smaller dish make one for yourself. Thats what I do as my fiance needs to put on weight. Also im wheat intolerant so when making lasagne or similar I have to make two and I can then make mine less calorific and obviously gluten free. It isnt too bad time wise either just a little extra washing up.

Hi Charm
That sounds good idea! As long as I can keep my hands off his dishes!!

Most definitely have to do something. Can do away with peanut butter and stuff that I don't like. Don't normally eat biscuits or cakes either. It's the savoury stuff I love.

I am a carb bunny. I have some small dishes so will give it a try next time I do a dish I really like. If I leave off the potato or cheesy sauce topping it should work quite well.

Thanks for that - good thought!

What about buying him some of that weight gainer powder stuff that makes a milkshake sort of drink, then at least you are not being tempted to eat all the lovely fattening food you are buying for him.xx

I have had to do this for my teenage son who is very sporty and just cant hold onto calories anymore. After hiking he comes home looking half dead and plagued with sore throats and is in bed for two days even though i have packed the 3000 calories he needs each day of his hiking plus extra because i know what his metabolism is like. Now i have told him to have these after exerciseing which hopefully will replace what he has burnt off and he wont feel so retched!

Am cooking a huge shepherds pie for tonight. Lots of buttery potatos on top and cheese. If he doesn't have a good two helpings I'll be amazed. Really push the boat out with herbs etc.

I have to tease his tastebuds to get him to eat enough. Trouble is shepherds pie is one of my favourite foods!

Did think of slimmers meals for me and my meals for him but the extra expense is crazy! I'll just have to grit my teeth.

I'll take a look at those body building bars. Could be just the thing!

Thanks guys for reading this, it really does drive me crazy sometimes!!

I know your trying to add some weight to him but im curious as to weather adding alot of fat is a good idea, even though he burns food quickely does that mean he burns all the fat off too, just thinking about cholesterol as thin people can still have problems with this if they eat too much fat. Im not a doctor but might be an idea to research it first.

Hi and yes fat is an issue. He had severe angina for 14 years and had refused a by pass. He used to eat (and this is when he was working and out of my sight).

Fry up for breakfast (sometimes 2!). Fish and loads of chips (as he knew the woman in the chip shop!) Cream cakes (loads free as he knew the woman in the cake shop!!). No wonder he had angina so young.

Anyway I have always been careful about fat etc and controlled my weight (and our meals) all of my young life. He still never got to much beyond 9 1/2 to 10 stone despite his bad habits.

He had a long awaited heart attack 3 years ago and then a bypass. He had spent the intervening years on loads of medication and was paranoid (too late!!) about fat in his diet. Hence he ended up terribly thin and borderline anaemic.

I should add he always was skinny. A lot of it was due to a very bad accident when he was 21. He broke his neck, crushed 2 vertebrae and had a bad skull fracture and thats just some of it! he never regained his weight of 10 1/2 stone which was light anyway for his height.

Now I have bored the ass of anyone I shall think about his dinner!!!! LOL

Back