Tracking

Donzy84

Back to basics
How do you all track your carbs? I've always used MFP but heard its not great for carbs? Downloaded the Atkins tracker but finding it really confusing with cup sizes and i can't seem to scan and add...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The Atkins tracker uses American values and won't work well for us.

I use MFP - it's fine for carbs, it just takes a little common sense, for example if something that isn't purely meat or fish comes up as zero carbs it most likely means that whoever added it forgot to put in the carb total. Search again and you'll usually find an alternative. I check labels of food against mfp as much as possible so I know all the things I eat regularly are accurate.

Also if you're adding veg always add veg from a British supermarket as then they will have the British carb values - eg put tesco cabbage into the search instead of just cabbage.

Remember we don't use net carbs while the Americans do.

There are some more tips on using mfp on the Atkins questions answered thread.

From the Atkins questions answered thread:

18. How many calories should I be eating? How much fat? How much protein?

The lower your carb intake, the less you need to count calories. It's not a good idea to eat less than 1200 per day. If you're a woman then 1500 per day is a good average but there's no need to worry if you're over or under - this diet does not work like other diets do. You're burning fat so your body needs more calories.

How much fat at protein depends on your calorie intake for the day. You're aiming to get 65 percent of your daily calories from fat, 30 percent from protein, and 5 percent from carbs. Bear in mind there are 9 calories in a gram of fat compared to 4 calories in a gram of protein, so you don't need to eat pure fat to get to those percentages - cook with oil and butter, eat cheese and mayo and the skin on your roast chicken and do it guilt free. Enjoy.

Back