Treadmill or exercise bike?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by slinkybride2be, 3 May 2011 Social URL.

1. slinkybride2be

slinkybride2be Silver Member

So I have about 4 stone to lose and have decided that I need to do more exercise if I want to get the results as my meal plan really is quite healthy and I enjoy it so it is obviously lack of exercise that is meaning my weight is not shifting! At the minute I do 5x 30 min workouts a week (DVD) but have since lost interest! I really think a treadmill or bike is for me as I would be far too embarrassed to do either of these at the gym! So just Hoping someone can tell me which would be better? I am looking to do this for a couple of hours each evening whilst kids are in bed! This way I can still watch the tv in the evening but rather than sitting on my fat bum doing sod all I can be exercising! I think I prefer the idea of the bike as it will not be as noisy as the treadmill? And not as expensive! Will a couple of hours on this each evening and a healthy diet give me the weight loss I want? :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. slinkybride2be

slinkybride2be Silver Member

Thankyou, just spoken to friends to see what they think and they basically said don't bother as most people end up never using them! This de motivated me a little at first but then I realised that this is up to me and just because 'most people' end up not using them doesn't mean I have too :)

4. cokes

cokes Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.77%)
    Diet:
    eating healthily
    Hi
    Personally I have a treadmill to get extra (very quick) walking in. I try to do most of my walking outdoors through the day which has cut down on petrol costs, and just use the treadmill for a boost.

If you are thinking bike, go with the bike. I used to have a bike but didn't get a great one and it was clunky when I rode it so it used to put me off, but I'm sure there are loads of great ones out there. As said above you are better going with your gut as you are more likely to use it.

I like how you are saying a couple of hours. You must be very fit! If not try starting a bit more gently otherwise you'll be sore for ages!

Good tip too if you don't already use MyFitnessPal.com have a go because it has tools where you can put you weight and excersise in and you can find out how many calories you've burnt. Genious!

5. Noddynoobs

Noddynoobs Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6.5lb(12.5%)
    id personally go for the bike....but i would have a good look on ebay and freecycle, i wouldnt pay full price for one.

6. kerry2285

kerry2285 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    18st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have a bike (brought from argos Kirsty something or other one) and when I remember to use it, its a great tool to have! Plonk it in front of the tv and away I go during corro hehe.

I'd go with what you feel more comfortable with and know you will use more. I have to admit mine does stay in the corner alot but im hoping to get this back out now im joining SW.

Good luck with which ever you choose and go for it!!! :)

7. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    you will burn more fat with a treadmill than bike, running is more effective.

i would advise you to join a club that does something active, motivation is something which affects majority of people in exercise. going to a club will give you some continuity, you have to make it, you dont wanna let your self or your team down etc, where as a treadmill in your house, you think forget it, il do it tomorrow.

8. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    both are good, its just how much space you have for it. an exerise bike will take up less room than a treadmill

9. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo Bring on the weight loss!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(6.93%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I do speed walking on my treadmill to effectively burn off the fat :)

X

10. Rigby

Rigby Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st4lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(15.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    I'd rather use a treadmill but can't afford one (and don't have space for one either). I have a bike though, mine was about £65 from Amazon but look out for one second-hand. Freecycle is a good option, one of the benefits of the fact that some people tend to get bored of them is that they show up on there reasonably often! :)

11. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    if you are big, a treadmill may not be for you... I found when I first started the gym the treadmill was my demon, I ran on it (not even a lot of running either) but I was PLAUGED with injuries and pain.

I'd say go for the bike. You can burn just as much on a bike if YOU put the effort in, and you are far less likely to injure yourself.

12. loulou56

loulou56 Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(12.86%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi there
    I am looking for some advise
    I want to buy an exercise bike, but not one of the heavy ones I want a fold up one that I can move out of the lounge when guests come round.
    I have looked on argos site but there is a maximum user weight of 15st.:mad:
    Does anyone have one they could recommend for me I currently weigh 18st 9lb.
    The idea of me getting an exercise bike is that I can use it in private, when I get down to a lower size I will be confident to use my proper bike on the road.

13. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    unfortunately fold up bikes just aren't designed for a significant weight load x

14. Fionat29

Fionat29 Still trying!

Start Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Why not get a Wii Fit? It's fitness programs are brilliant and they make it fun to exercise. Plus there is loads of choice so you don't get bored just cycling or just running. It's noticeable how much fitter you are quite quickly.

15. johnnyblue

johnnyblue Full Member

Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    GI, low calorie
    Boyfriend started at 21st and he uses our exercise bike (which has magnetic resistance) and has since lost 3st - that's in just over 3 months. He spends about 30-50 minutes on it every day with the resistance whacked up high, going slow. I'd say resistance is the way to go.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.