Turkey help please!!!

Tracie Green

Silver Member
hi all, im cooking xmas dinner 4 the first time this year, what do all you lot do with your turkeys??? not worried bout syns for that day x

I seperate the skin from the breast and then score the breast with a knife. I then mix garlic and herbs with butter and the spread the butter over the breast. Then I put the skin back down and then cover the skin with butter and salt and pepper.

I also cut and onion and a lemon in half and insert them into the cavity. I cook my stuffing seperate.

Then I bake it in the oven for the specified time.

does the lemon add any 'weird' flavours? as am cooking a 22lb turkey this year and mum does not eat naythign with any flavour or herbs so thinking of stuffing a couple of lemons in?

Sarah can I come to your house for Christmas Dinner???!!! That turkey sounds divine!

Of course you can. So long as you bring lots of chocolate!

Done!!!

I also separate the skin from the breast, but not so that it is removed altogether. I just stick my hand underneath it and pull it free from the breast, so it's wearing the skin like shirt instead of being attached the flesh anymore. Then I spread some butter over the breast meat and lay some strips of bacon over that and secure the skin back down.

Then I rub the skin with oil and season it and bake it slowly in the oven, basting it from time to time. It makes a difference to cook it slowly, as it is juicy and very tender then. Mmmmmm....

I also separate the skin from the breast, but not so that it is removed altogether. I just stick my hand underneath it and pull it free from the breast, so it's wearing the skin like shirt instead of being attached the flesh anymore. Then I spread some butter over the breast meat and lay some strips of bacon over that and secure the skin back down.

Thats what I meant! You said it so much better than me :D

nigela said to cook it upside down as the juices then run through to the breasts!!! amazing!!

I have been known to do that but sometimes it can make the breasts a bit greasy.

:rotflmao: I did have the same thought when I was writing it!

You lot!!! ooo er!!!!
I turn a chicken when its cooking to even out its juices (oh there's another one!), it means that the breast is moist and full of flavour.

all this turkey talk is making me extremely hungry...
i must say Sarah that sounds delicious...
My mum & dad do Xmas dinner i tend to stick to the buffet bits
lolxxx

Back