Tyarlie - JUST THE START

tyarlie

I rejoined Atkins this week and so far so good! Well... sort of.

I've had HUGE cravings for chocolate tonight, so I picked on cheese and pickled onions with celery and peanut butter! But then I still had chocolate cravings so I went and finished off the Greek yoghurt with sweetener! This is why i've decided to finally become an active member on minimins! I've been reading the forum for months and feel like I know some of you already! how creepy is that hehe.

I am doing a slightly personally adapted version of Atkins because i'm a Type 1 Diabetic so I allow myself the odd bit of fruit between meals if i'm feeling a bit low, and obviously sometimes I cannot avoid the lucozade and glucotabs! I followed Atkins religiously a few years ago and lost 10 stone, so I know this diet works... I just hope it works with the added sugar and insulin hehe!

I am 26 and am a bit of a compulsive weigher.. I have been weighing everyday, I know thats wrong.. but i'm working on that! My weigh in day will be a Friday! (but i'm going to weight in the morning because... just because.. one last compulsive WI ok? :D

Look forward to becoming move actively involved in your community :)

Last edited:
I made the most lush dinner last night, sweet chilli chicken with halloumi topped mushrooms!

Made it again for tonight! but instead of the salad, had Spinach and Green beans with pine nuts! MMMM!

download

Need to think about making some goals!

I want to get to 12 stone by the end of April! (2012)
and a personal one ... to keep my promise to Marl x

Hey there tyarlie

Well done on 'de-lurking' and posting :)

The cravings are a pain aren't they! I don't get cravings for chocolate, but I definitely do for bread.

Keep posting; look forward to seeing your progress

Hi Tyarlie and welcome :)

When I need something chocolatey I mix a tsp of cocoa powder with some cream cheese and sweetener - yum! :)

Hello :D

Ladyfelsham - have you seen them Philadelphia chocolate pots, they are ok but I imagine making your own is less sugar! Will give it a go.

Pudding - if I give in to my. Chocolate craving, after I have eaten the chocolate I then crave bread! It's a real sweet / savoury nightmare!

I bought some 85% dark Lindt chocolate and some Atkins bars for dire emergencies this morning! I also bought some burgen bread but will limit myself to a slice a day. For my main meal today I had steak, mushrooms in cream and parmasan cheese sprinkled on top. Was lush! Stocked up on chicken and going to make peanut butter chicken with stuffed mushrooms tomorrow. I've bought a lunch of filled with carrot sticks and spring onions with a glucoamole dip and 1 slice of burgen bread with a thin sPread of peanut butter sauce! Err but also an aPple for ermergancies, a can of zero rockstar and a Atkins bar... But I don't plan to eat it!!

I also weighed in at 13 stone - I wonder if a stone before the end of April is possible?

Hi Tyarlie, welcome and good to see your diary. A stone is always possible - but everyones body different esp if you are managing diabetes too!
Good luck

hello and welcome, i'm also suffering diabetes and since ive been on atkins my readings are always below 6, ive been doing atkins very strict as ive stopped taking my insulin shots.. my gp confirmed that if no carbs are eaten then no shots are needed and it worked. the protein foods are great and it keeps me full for long.

seems like youve got it all planned out well so goodluck with your journey.

ps i think you can make the stone by end of april, ive got a similar goal to lose a stone before my birthday in may.

Hey did you stop your background insulin as well as short acting? I seem to still need both, for example I had steak and mushroom for dinner, no carbs and I still took 7 units of humalog and two hours later I was 6.7! :( my doc told me I'd never be able to stop the injections. At least low carb I can cut the amount of units down!

doctors are so wrong hun, thats what they told me the first time but i proved them wrong, i eventually change gp and i told them the diet i was on and she told me i could stop the insulin all togther if i was low carbing... an i havent looked back since! i get my bloods checked regularly and eveything is normal where as before i was getting reading of over 30 by just eating a fruit salad. i feel so much healthier.. plus with all the water i'm drinking and cutting out most sugars my body is certainly reaping the benefits.

however i did try to low my insulin with low carbing and i almost passed out in the middle of the night, my sugars dropped 3.4 and the more weight i lost i realised that i didnt need the shots anymore.

you can do this hun, prove your doctors wrong, you will see the difference when you lose weight, your bodys gonna require less dosage as long as u keep the carbs on tab.
hope that helped x

after 11 yrs diagnosing me and giving me the wrong medication which packed weight unto me i was told i have type 1.:sigh:

Well I'm no doctor, but seeming as a type 1 pancreas does not produce any insulin at all, I can't see how someone will stop the background shot, in my case, Lantus. Because even if you are not eating carbs, your liver is dumping small amounts of glucose into your blood every now and then, and in a type one, it will just keep flowing around as there is no insulin in the body to get rid of it. I suspect your body is making insulin on its own still.

Oh an I ate 2 hamburgers and large bloody chips from McDonald's and a large bar of galaxy last night and now I feel crap and disgusting.

I understand what your saying on the background insulin but I've experimented and my readings are totally different, when I take the even the background insulinit makes my sugar levels too low which always makes me end up eating carbs which then makes the situation worse, in my case I've got type one but my pancreas is producing some sort of insullin but just not enough to lower my blood sugars when I'm eating carbs but its enough to lower the amount of sugars in my blood with the little bit of carbs I consume on atkins, I tend to have less than 15g a day so I no I'm on the right track. My body reacts very weak with insullin shots which am so happy about, as long as I make sure I do regular blood check ups to check how my sugars are I think I could be ok in the long run.

Oh sorry about the mcdonalds, maybe next time you could have the burger without the bun and a chiclen salad or something. Sorry your feeling crap today but drinking lots of water really helps. X

Don't feel bad, try to guzzle the water and draw a line under it. :)

As for the weighing everyday - I do this too, partly because in the early stages I want to be sure I'm doing everything correctly and partly because I like the boost I get if I've lost another pound.

I know there will be days I STS or even gain but then I know I'm losing inches too so wont be dissapointed!

Hi Tyarlie, good morning and welcome

Back