Understanding the science

k-nine

I wonder if anyone can help me get a better understanding of why and how this diet works. I understand the bit about going into ketosis and about running down your glycerine stores but there are a couple of things that are still a mystery to me.

I believe it is the carbohydrate intake that affects the ketosis so does anyone know how many carbs you can have a day before you kick out of ketosis or does it differ with the individual?

Is the difference between SS, AAM & 790 simply that with each you are still eating so few carbs to keep you in ketosis but the calorie intake differs? If so, there really shouldn't be a massive difference in the rate the weight comes off, should there? I ask because I am supposed to be on SS but I am eating approx a small pack of roast chicken a day (think its about 80 cals) which I stretch out over the day.

Finally, and this is the bit that worries me most, when you start eating properly, I understand that your glycerine stocks will replenish, so there is bound to be a weight gain. Is this roughly the same with each person or can you take your first week's loss as some sort of guide or is it completely random?

I have to say that I feel really well on this diet, just a little tired in the evenings. However, that might be because I get up at 6.30 and don't stop until about 7 -8pm. I am coming up to TOM and although I feel slightly bloated, I don't have that urge to kill someone which usually plagues me around this time:eek:. And I am still amazed that I don't feel particularly hungry - although the emotional pull when preparing meals for others can be difficult at times.

I would just like to understand a little better how this amazing state of affairs can be possible:rolleyes:!!

Thanks

K9
x

Hi K Nine

I'm not an expect and I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly but here is what I believe are the answers to your questions.

Gx

I wonder if anyone can help me get a better understanding of why and how this diet works. I understand the bit about going into ketosis and about running down your glycerine stores but there are a couple of things that are still a mystery to me.

I believe it is the carbohydrate intake that affects the ketosis so does anyone know how many carbs you can have a day before you kick out of ketosis or does it differ with the individual?

Think it can differ from person to person as some are more sensitive than others when it comes to ketosis.

Is the difference between SS, AAM & 790 simply that with each you are still eating so few carbs to keep you in ketosis but the calorie intake differs? If so, there really shouldn't be a massive difference in the rate the weight comes off, should there? I ask because I am supposed to be on SS but I am eating approx a small pack of roast chicken a day (think its about 80 cals) which I stretch out over the day.

Ketosis on CD is based on a combination of low carbs and low calorie so when you increase the calories on AAM and 790 weight loss will slow slightly.

Finally, and this is the bit that worries me most, when you start eating properly, I understand that your glycerine stocks will replenish, so there is bound to be a weight gain. Is this roughly the same with each person or can you take your first week's loss as some sort of guide or is it completely random?

IF you work up through the plans 790, 1000, 1200, 1500 these are designed to reintroduce the carbs as a slow rate whilst you are still losing weight so you shouldn't see that rebound weight gain as you glycogen will replenish but you will lose weight to counter it.

I have to say that I feel really well on this diet, just a little tired in the evenings. However, that might be because I get up at 6.30 and don't stop until about 7 -8pm. I am coming up to TOM and although I feel slightly bloated, I don't have that urge to kill someone which usually plagues me around this time:eek:. And I am still amazed that I don't feel particularly hungry - although the emotional pull when preparing meals for others can be difficult at times.

I would just like to understand a little better how this amazing state of affairs can be possible:rolleyes:!!

Thanks

K9
x

i manage this diet for a week at a time . i cant do more than 7 days then i revert to my old eating habits:whoopass:. so far in 5 weeks i have managed 3 weeks on the diet and lost 12 1/2 lb . not too bad , but then i have a bad week and will eat anything... so far i have not put back on ounce of what has come off. i have eaten more carbs in one week that most would eat in a month !!! my trousers feel looser and i know i have lost inches .
gonna get back on track next week .!!
so i guess everyone is different . if you follow the cdc plans then hopefully you wont regarin any of the weight that you loose .

Thanks for your responses. I find it easier to stick to it if I can understand it.

Soontobegorgeous, It's interesting you are losing more on 790 than on SS. I wonder if this is because your body isn't going into starvation mode? You've done incredibly well. Fantastic.

K9
x

It's glycogen not glycerine. And you are in starvation mode when you're in ketosis. The small amount of protein in the packs is enough to protect your muscles so you burn fat only. The carbs on the other plans are also very very controlled. Your body can't store excess protein so it excretes it so you can eat protein high low carb diets and lose weight (eg Atkins diet). I think on the Atkins diet they recommend staying under 40g of carbs a day but I might be wrong on that.

Thanks for your responses. I find it easier to stick to it if I can understand it.

Soontobegorgeous, It's interesting you are losing more on 790 than on SS. I wonder if this is because your body isn't going into starvation mode? You've done incredibly well. Fantastic.

K9
x

I really have no idea!

I went onto 790 because I had some social engagements, a couple of birthday parties and a Wedding last Saturday. Was going to go back to SSing on 5th November but decided to stick with 790 since the weight loss is so much more consistent for me!

Thanks for putting me right, Bailey. Glycerine - puts a whole different slant on burning the fat off, doesn't it!! :giggle:

Thanks for the link, Fiona. Will find a quiet half hour to look at the video.

K9
x

Back