Unrealistic??

Lucky7

Lucky7
Okay - so I'm back from holiday feeling bloated and unfit, and realising that with being busy(ish!!!!) before going away, it's been a month since I used my gym membership.

SO - have started the day with a good SW brekkie or brown rice, fruit and yogurt, and have syn free but yum meals planned for the whole week.

I get classes free at my gym (DW) so have just looked at the timetable and put in my diary:
Tue 11am Zumba Class
Wed 10am Salsa Aerobics
Thur 9.45am Body Tone
Fri 10am Aqua Aerobics
Sat (poss walk / run in gym)
Sun (poss swim)

(I have a wedding to go to on Saturday which will mean a night away, so not sure about the weekend activity).

Now - I know my O/H would say I'm being unrealistic and too 'all-or-nothing', but then he is a bit of a negative old sod. What do you lot think? Too much too soon?

I really wanted to be slim and confident ready for the start of September when I start supply teaching and will be right out of my comfort zone for a while, and know that's not going to happen now, but want to do my best in the time available.

Beccy x

All I would say is that with exersice its better to build it up gradual rather than full on going for it, so maybe choose a couple of classes this week, leaving a day in between, then build up as you go along in a few weeks time.

Or do a class one day then a swim the next maybe??

All I would say is that with exersice its better to build it up gradual rather than full on going for it, so maybe choose a couple of classes this week, leaving a day in between, then build up as you go along in a few weeks time.

Or do a class one day then a swim the next maybe??

I think that's good advice. If you throw yourself into doing something every day you may get injured as your body isn't used to that kind of stress. At the best you'll be aching like crazy which may put you off going back. I would certainly ease myself into it, giving my body time to heal between each session. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! X

I'm an all or nothing kinda gal too..probably wrongly but that's how I am :p
I've been zooming along on my exercise bike more and more each day,have been swimming every day and forced myself to do 30 laps of the local olympic sized pool yesterday.Hurt my knee a bit but will be going back DETERMINED to better that 30 this morning ;)I booked hubby and I a 45 min badminton session for after class 2mro and joined the local images gym to start my fitness classes there on thursday.
Now some might think that's insane but I know myself and that's how I go about challenges.Only you really know if you're being unrealistic and will stick to all you have planned hun.Good luck with it all :D x

p.s hubby laughed when he heard I was planning on swimming every day..he's eating his words :p

Thanks.

I have just noticed that on Wed they do an aqua-zumba class.
That way it'd be alternative normal / aqua days. Or do you think aqua classes would still be too much?

Cheers, Beccy
x

To be honest, if your body is used to exercise then I think you'll be fine. You might ache a bit but then we all do when we've had a bit of time off. It's not like you've never exercised before so I do think you will be okay, although I would have Saturday as a rest day after 3 classes in a row. Your body needs to rest.

I'd say give it a go, BUT, stop if you feel sore.

I started couch to 5 k plan and ran one night on slightly sore legs. Now after having 2 weeks off with nothing more than light walking, I still have very painful shin splints.

Moral of the story is try it, see how you go, but stop at any discomfort or pain, or you'll end up just making yourself worse with no option but to rest for weeks on end.

Take it easy.

Okay - off to Zumba class shortly. Feeling ridiculously nervous going back to gym. How silly!!!

I'll stay at the back and slow down / stop if I'm in pain or feel poorly.
Wish me luck girls (and boys).

xx

Am back and in one piece.
So glad I went - it was really good fun and I feel so much better for doing it. I will go down to the gym tomorrow but stick to something a bit easier on the joints, like swimming / aqua.

Off to make some soup for lunch now - spicy butternut squash ans sweet potato I think. YUM!!

x

I have just noticed that on Wed they do an aqua-zumba class.
That way it'd be alternative normal / aqua days. Or do you think aqua classes would still be too much?

I think this is a better plan than what you originally suggested! You now seem to be giving your body a bit of a rest; any exercise in the water is good for your joints.

Howdy Beccy, I too am an all-or-nothing type and say go for it!
I have to decided to go from pretty much zero exercise to 5 sessions (albeit only 30 mins or so each) per week - mostly on my bike but the odd swim / aerobics DVD / badminton game too.
Last week was week 1 and I feel fab for it. Tired, but not unwell or sore and I am carrying a fair bit of weight!
My weight loss is not speeding up though :(

Good luck with the supply teaching, that was going to be my back-up plan last summer (when I quit full-time teaching) but thankfully I found a different job. Teaching just was tooooo hard for me :)

Good luck with the supply teaching, that was going to be my back-up plan last summer (when I quit full-time teaching) but thankfully I found a different job. Teaching just was tooooo hard for me :)

Ooo - what was your new job?? Am open to ideas. I've done 5 years teaching in the same school (Y3/4 for 2 years, then Y5/6 for 3 years). I love being in the classroom, but hate being restricted to school holidays for (v. expensive) hols, and working most evening and weekends, and still never getting on top of the workload. I'm nervous about doing supply, but am looking forward to having my evenings and weekends back, and some flexibility.

Well done on getting through week 1, and staying focussed for week 2 of your fitness plan by the way. I think with exercise you sometimes have to wait to see the benefits, so stay with it.

Beccy x

Hi Beccy,

I taught secondary French in Rotherham - a very thankless task when most of the kids didn't even know where London was!
It was all the evenings and weekends that wore me down... I now work in the cosmetics industry - Sales support for a company who manufacture active ingredients. Most of my customers are French so I get to use my language skills far more than teaching and I get to leave the office at 5ish every day and not give work a second thought until the next morning - bliss :)

Been rolling around on my gym ball this evening, look like a beached whale ;) !

Back