Upcoming Challenge: Holiday/Starting RTM/Surgery - all at once!

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
Hi everyone.

I have received my notice from the NHS and I am having double foot Surgery on 6 December 2011.

I am trying to work out how that will affect me with my diet, where I will be in RTM, etc.

I am also going back home on 21 November - I get back in the UK on 5 December, then right in to Hospital on the 6th.

I want to be a bit in to RTM before I go to California, maybe week 2 by then.

Not sure how being on the diet would, if at all, affect me regarding surgery. If I start RTM the week before I go to the states, that will give me a little more variety in choices while there, and then I would be at week 4 when I have surgery.

You are still not eating much by then, 2 packs and one meal and a snack if I remember right.

I am just wondering how the drugs (pain relief, anesteshia, etc.) would affect me while still on pretty low calories.

Does anyone know anyone who has been through surgery while on or soon after LL?

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll do great when you go for your visit back home. As for surgery, I think the general advice is to build up your calories in the week before surgery so there is plenty in your system to help you recover. I was told after my jaw surgery that I would need double my intake of normal calories to help the bones heal and to recover properly. I didn't manage to eat that much as my jaw was so sore but you'll need to make sure you have enough in your system to help you heal properly. As for pre-op, an empty stomach might make you feel a bit nauseous with a general anaesthetic. Maybe have milk in your shakes in the week before? I'm not sure what LL advise but I'm sure you'll be able to manage RTM sensibly.
Whilst I know maintaining you weight is incredibly important to you, a good, healthy recovery is what matters most xx

Thanks Rachel - you are right about good recovery, and I will be sensible. Already accepting my timing is notbrilliant, it may mean some further work after I recover, but by then it will be conventinal methods.

Intersting about the bones rehealing - that is of interest to me as the surgery involves them grinding away bone from my toes so that they can move again - they essentially are self-fusing at the moment. So that is a very good piece of information

THanks hon!! :)

xx

Hi BL,

Are u going o have a GA or is this going to me under some king of regional anesthesia ?
A GA will affect ur body far more than regional anesthesia and i think u will need to have a good calorie intake in the week prior to surgery.
Post op you will also need calories as this helps with the body's recovery process especially in wound healing and calcium containing food like dairy would be useful as u would have been on the LL for a long time by then.
You may (its only a may) put on a few pounds around this time but it will be nothing u cant tackle when u are feelig up to it again
At the moment u may be feeling like the surgery is acting as a speed bump ...but it is only a speed bump...u can race again after !! & Your toes will be better
Good luck

Hi hun,
Glad you didn't have to wait TOOOOoo long for the surgery. Are you having both feet done at the same time?
Might you have some time to pop over for a coffee?
Is your OH over in the States now?
How are things at work?
Miss you hun. You are doing so great - and yet more challenges coming up. I guess they always will - we never get to the end.

Hi lovey....yes, I am having both feet done at the same time. Only cause work is so unsupportive about time off. Bit rubbish, but hey then I only have to go through it once. It will be a hassle, but it will be worth it to have happy paws again!

I talked to LLC, and she said I should start RTM one month before surgery. I have lost 40.4 pounds so far, with 29.7 to go - so say 2 stone. I have 7 weeks to do it, so will probably fall a bit short of my goal - but not too bad. Just means after I am recovered I will have to get walking to get that las little bit off!!

I was hoping I would only need to start RTM 2 weeks before giving me more time, but I have to think of the complications from surgery...it will be a total anesthesia, not localised, so that can take a lot out of me, I guess its best to be fighting fit.

So now I can at least start making some plans.

I am going to cook up now, several meals that Ican pop in the freezer so I wont need to be standing and cooking - nor relying on C to cook for me!! (God help me, is what that would mean! :D)

I have lots to do between now and then - get thehouse ready- stuff like that.

I would love to come see you.....maybe Saturday? C is off Thursday, so i will be a free woman! :D Let me know at the end of the week if you are feeling up to it.

Will be great to see you whenever it is!!

xxx

Hey BL, Great that you have lost so much and will be close to goal for the op. Is better when going under GA. And less weight on those healing feet!

Just thought I'd add my bit, I was told by cd counsellor I couldn't start vlcd due to surgery in two weeks, and was then told not to start vlcd for 2/3 months after. It was a major op.

Hope you recover quickly x

hello, i was on vlcd and had to have an emergency surgery so couldnt prep myself for it but the only thing that seemed to be effected was my potassium level for which i had to have potassium supplements for before the operation so nothing too drastic really!

i was advised to come off the plan for a bit though as i found i got over colds/flus that bit slower when doing so- hope your op goes well :)

Back