vegegel question please

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Toothfairy, 27 March 2008 Social URL.

1. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Full Member

Diet:
    Interested in doing cambridge diet
    Hi All Just a quick question, i am back doing ss after losing 3 stone last year and keeping it off. Now back on ss for the next 4 and half stone. I read about making jelly with water, water flavour and mix amousse but i have used vegegel instead of mix a mousse as i think that is normal animal gelatine. Am i actually allowed to have vegegel?? dont want to do any harm to diet but the jelly is really helping. I have it when hubby and son have their muffins. Thanks for any repliesx:)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

What does vegegel consist of (and where can i get some :)?) What if any carb content is there? What is the calories in it?

If it compares to the mixamousse (trace carbs and I think 20cals per scoop) there would be no reason not to use it

4. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Full Member

Diet:
    Hi dancing i dont know what the carb and calorie count is as it is not on box. i cant find it on web either or in my calorie bible!! the ingredients are as follows: dextrose, gelling agent, carageenan, locust bean gum, acidity regulator, calcium acetate, potassium chloride. It is suitable for vegetarians and makes lovely jelly, you have to prepare slightly different, it comes in sachets 4 to a pack and you put one sachet in cold water about 500mls, add flavour then put in pan and bring to boil once boiled put in bowl or jug let cool then put in fridge once set eat!! I get it from morrisons.

5. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

ok just got my pot of MaM and it says it only contains cold water dispensible gelatine powder ... not much use

I'm a bit wary of the dextrose in yours ... really not sure what the effect of it is or how many calories. If in doubt, best to avoid. But, you could try it and see if you come out of ketosis. It depends how much you value being in ketosis vs how much you want a mousse.

I'm glad I'm no longer vege is all I can say. Esp. as even if you could use it, it sounds like a performance to prepare the mousse/jelly.

What about buying some agar flakes if you are prepared to do the heating and cooling thing? zero carbs and zero calories

6. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Full Member

Diet:
    Hi dancing thanks for reply, yes was bit wary of the dextrose but i have had some and didnt come out of ketosis but perhaps should be careful. What is the agar flakes and where would i get those if zero cals and zero carbs??

7. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Usually these things have a contact number on so you can get info on the content. Is there not anything like that on it?

8. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

you can get agar flakes from Holland & Barratt or online (Clearspring do them) .. they are made from seaweed. I use them - but in regular cooking not for mousse

9. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Full Member

Diet:
    Emailed supercook who make the product but not had reply re calories and carb in vegegel but no reply. So will have to wait as i have 4 boxes of the stuff to usex

10. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Full Member

Diet:
    I got reply from supercook each sachet has 16 calories and 4g carb not sure if this is ok or not a sachet makes about 600ml of jelly so i only use half one day then half next so far not come out of ketosis it think that is the main concern as calories hardly anything!!

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

good luck toothfairy

12. jakkiG

jakkiG Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    rosemary conley
    from the supercook contact team themselves thought I would like to know too

Please see below the nutritional values for vege gel sorry for the delay.

Nutritional Data
    Method:
    Typical figures per 100 g
    Energy kJ 803
    kcal 181
    Protein (N2 x 6.25) 0.5
    Carbohydrate 45.6
    of which Sugars 45.6
    Polyols
    Starch
    Fat 0
    of which Saturated Fatty Acids
    Monounsaturated
    Polyunsaturated
    Dietary Fibre 20.2
    Sodium 0

13. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

that sugar content looks a bit worrying

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.