Vegetables - how do you cook yours?

corfu girl said:
Theres always briam the Greek dish you just put layers of veg on top of each other in a roasting tin, potatoes, onion, aubergine, courgettes, carrots salt and pepper, you can spray top and bottom with fry light then cover with foil, Its lovely like that, creates its own juice but if you want more juice you can add sliced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. You can add lean pork chops or chicken breast skin off and then uncover near the end of cooking to brown.

Oooh that sounds tasty... Cept for the aubergines....

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I used to hate veg after being force fed them at school, but I soon found out that they bulk out you plate and tum when dieting! Over the years I grew to like them - but only with something, not on their own.

I add them to pretty much any sauce type meal I make. Yesterday I did pork shanks cooked in spicy tomato sauce with onions, carrots and butternut squash and chick peas and had slow roasted b/nut squash on the side (makes it very sweet and caramelised) plus broccoli and it was very tasty!

what's wrong with gravy? 140ml of bisto best made up is enough for one person and it's only 2 syns.. well worth it..

ColJack said:
what's wrong with gravy? 140ml of bisto best made up is enough for one person and it's only 2 syns.. well worth it..

Nothing wrong with gravy, but doesn't quite go with something like kfc chicken!!! Unless it's the real KFC gravy of course ;-)

Ah, ok. I thought you just thought that gravy was really high syns or something.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I'm giving something resembling briam a go.
Aubergine, potato, onion, courgette, and tomato with some pasatta to stop it drying out.
I forgot to season it with herbs and stuff though.
I'll let you know if it's nice.

Last edited:
Mmmmm, yummy!

Could use some mushrooms and possibly some large beans ( gigantes I think the Greeks call them ).

Salt and italian herbs as seasoning, and maybe a touch of garlic?

Anyone ever cooked a yam? Not sure if that's how it's spelt? They had a stall at my local Market with imported fruit & veg and they had them there. Intrigued how you cook them & what they taste like!

I struggle with things like SW kfc chicken & chips, I don't want salad with it because I eat a lot of salad for lunches, so what else could I try with it?

Home made coleslaw (SF veg & EL mayo is only 1 syn per 2x tbsp and you can add a bit of water to make it go further) and also free foods like baked beans, tinned sweetcorn or roasted corn cobs (try coating them with a thin layer of marmite or chicken oxo stock in the jar) and as Coljack says, some thick gravy made with chicken oxo, veg oxo & beef granules (trust me, its delish). All the "sides" that KFC serve and only 3 syns. :D

Anyone ever cooked a yam? Not sure if that's how it's spelt? They had a stall at my local Market with imported fruit & veg and they had them there. Intrigued how you cook them & what they taste like!

Yam is another name for sweet potato - you can boil them, mash, chip, wedge, roast, bake in their skins etc. Lots of ideas for them in the recipe threads. Very sweet (as the name suggests) but very tasty. A free food on EE & Green cos its a carb but one of the most nutritious carbs you can eat with more vitamins in than a lot of veg.

I regularly buy from a fruit & veg stall run by an Asian family and whenever I try something new I just ask them how to prepare, cook and what to eat it with. They're always impressed when I'm willing to try something when I have absolutely no idea what it is. lol

Last edited:
Forgot to add that you can make crisps with sweet potatoes/yams too.

Kankles said:

You can do them in all the ways you cook potatoes and they are yummy! Had them loads in the Caribbean

Aww never! I was feeling quite adventurous and thought I'd give them a go. Never mind, good job I didn't buy one!!!

In fairness, my C told us that if you have the SW crisps as part of a meal (eg make
The tortilla chips to have with chilli instead of rice & don't have more than you would if you were making lasagne, or jacket pots/wedges then you should be okay. Its when you start eating a whole bag of potatoes as a snack between meals that it becomes an issue!!

Back