Green Day Vegetarian Slow cooker recipes

Hey just stumbled across this thread it's great! I've got a chicken cooking away in the slow cooker at the moment but I used to be veggie and still love my green days so can't wait to try out some of the recipes here!
Most of my recipes are a bit thrown together but I'll add them if anything turns out nice haha!

Thanks guys :)

I think the thrown together ones are very often the nicest ;)

So glad that this post has been bumped.
I too will be making the North African Curry this weekend. Bought all the ingredients and just need to dust off the old slow cooker.
Thank you and I look forward to trying more of the yummy recipes in this thread :0) xxx

Ah its nice to think there's going to be alot of curries going on in the slow cookers :)

I'm currently trying to slow cook mixed dried beans in my slow cooker..... a bit of an experiment really. I've soaked them over night, rinsed lots, boiled for 10mins then transferred to the slow cooker (instead of simmering for an hour or more on the gas hob). Fingers crossed all will be well!

Well I couldn't wait and made the North African Curry yesterday and, although I say it myself, it was delicious. I used four birds eye chilies, and kept the seeds in, so it had a kick like a mule. Just how I like it :0) Will definitely be making it again and, since there is only me in the house who likes chickpeas, I've got enough leftovers for another 5 meals. Delicious and economical.
Thanks again xxx

Last edited:
Hi Daphne I'm glad your curry was a success :) Mmmmmmm 5 more portions hey :)

Glad to report, my cooking the beans in the slow cooker worked fine too!

my curry was really watery-what did i do wrong?! I had to thicken it with cornflour, only added 1 syn per portion so not the end of the world

I don't think you did anything wrong Ninnins :) I found the North African curry sauce to be a tad runny, but the rice or couscous mop it up nicely.

I think when you make a curry in an open pan it is thicker as the moisture escapes as steam. In a slow cooker there is nowhere for the moisture to escape so it will always be a bit runnier...but more intense.

It is a brilliant recipe isn't it? :D

Yeah i figured that was why, just had leftovers for tea. The cous cous did indeed just soak it all up! My mum was here for dinner last night and asked for recipe. Smelt so good when we got in from shopping!

I might make the chicken cacciatore from the booklet with the latest mag, but with quorn and minus the bacon.

Just started using my slow cooker again so will definitely keep checking back on this thread. :)

Thanks for the ideas.

Kathy

Here's one from the allrecipes site, that is really for cooking on the hob but, I've made it in the slow cooker before and it tastes delicious.

MADRAS POTATO CURRY - Serves 4

1.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if using Patak's Mango Chutney

680g potatoes, washed and cut into 1cm cubes
250g cauliflower florets
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. curry powder - I used Madras but use whatever suits
Half tbsp. ground ginger or, to taste
100g dried red lentils
400g can chopped tomatoes
250ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp. malt vinegar
1 level tbsp. Patak's mango chutney - could add more, to taste but, don't forget to Syn

Spray the slow cooker well with Frylight.
Add the potatoes to the base and up the sides of the cooker.
Add in everything else, apart from the chutney, and season.
Cook on Low for 6 hours but, don't forget, slow cookers can vary in cooking times, significantly.
Stir the mango chutney through, prior to serving.

Lovely served with rice and scattered with chopped parsley, if you have any to hand.

Back