Green Day Vegetarian Slow cooker recipes

Well done, Honey! I think we are getting the hang of it now :D

I have just had a sneaky taste of tonight's dinner - Gobolino's North African Chickpea Curry from post #35

OMG!!! :drool: What a treat. It is amazing! Millions of very deep flavours. The spice blend is sooo good and made the house smell very festive during cooking.

I couldn't bring myself to use 3 tbsp of olive oil - I have been brainwashed by SW lol - so I used 2 tbsp plus 140g of dried apricots so it works out at 4 x HeBs. I don't know if we have to count the lemon - poor wee thing was butchered trying to de-flesh it, so I am not counting it :eek:

Thank you Gobolino for sharing x

I dont even own any oil now.....spray oil only. I still need to play with the time and temp. I have mostly been using it for my Thurs meal. I am home for lunch and put the slow cooker on about 1.30pm and get home at 8.15pm so 6.5 hrs, i have had it on HIGH, but the veg was very soft. Will have a play on LOW temp this week and see what happens.

Am going to have a go at doing my rice pudding in it on sunday this week. That will be very useful if that comes out ok.

have just looked up lemon.......... lemons are free. and interestingly lemon juice is also free. so i dont think you need to count it.
Lemons seem exempt from the juice it, cook it = syn it rule!

Oh let us know how the rice pudding goes & what recipe you will be following. I have a pack of pudding rice but don't know if to try it in the slow cooker, I'm afraid I might over indulge if its low syn!!

Oh Silly Sausage I'm glad you've tried the curry !! I loved it too :) I think I did similar with changing the healthy extra level, I used with 3tbsp olive oil (which did seem alot) and 140g apricots plus another tin of chickpeas and that made 5 or 6 portions! I'm really glad you tried it and even better that you like it too :)

The other thing I love to do for the slow cooker is alot of different veggies: parsnip, sweet pot, potato, carrots, sweede, turnip etc and toss that in some cant believe its not butter, then add to the slow cooker with stock. After a few hours mash the veggies and the soup is lush, works out very little in the way of syns, maybe 1 or 1.5 syns per portion, but sooooo tasty x

Here you go! This is from the ultimate slow cooker cookbook (Cara Hobday)

North African Chickpea Curry (serves 6)

3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, 4 carrots, 4 garlic cloves (all chopped)
2 green chillis, deseeded and sliced
4 tsp ras el-hanout spice blend
500ml veg stock
3 400g cans chickpeas
grated zest and segmented flesh of 1 lemon
150g ready to eat dried apricots
1/2 tsp tumeric
3 large toms, 25g corriander (both roughly chopped)

Heat oil over a high heat in large frying pan and cook onions, carrots, garlic and chilli (10mins).
Add spice blend, fry 2mins. Add remaining ingredients except corriander and bring to simmer.
Transfer to slow cooker (4 hours on low/8 hours on high)
Serve with corriander stirred through.

Above is the actual recipe. I used olive oil and changed the quantities of oil and ready to eat apricots so that the recipe worked out at 5 HB's for the whole cooker full, I then made the recipe serve 5 rather than 6, just so it was easier to say it was a HB choice that way. I think I used 3x70g apricots and 2xtablespoon of olive oil last time.

I served mine with brown rice and it was lush :)

Trying this today but should it not be 4 hrs on high and 8 on low rather than the other way around?

Circes absolutely 4 hours on high, 8 hours on low - ha ha :) You spotted the deliberate mistake !!! Will edit this ;)

I've only ever done 4 hours on high and it was great. Hope you enjoy it :)

Lentil & Sausage Stew - slow cooker recipe

Free on
Extra Easy(if using low fat sausages - check syns for full fat sausages)

Ingredients

• 450g dried lentils
  • 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes, drained
  • 2 beef stock cube's - (red oxo or beef bovril)
  • 600ml water
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 kg good pork sausages, cut into 1cm pieces
  • 1 stick celery, chopped
Preparation method

Rinse lentils, but do not soak.

In a slow cooker, stir together the lentils, tomatoes, stock, water, carrot, sausage and celery.

Cover, and cook on High for 3 hours, or Low for 6 to 7 hours.

Stir well before serving.

This is delicious and of course you can use quorn sausages and veg stock and its just as nice !!

Oh let us know how the rice pudding goes & what recipe you will be following. I have a pack of pudding rice but don't know if to try it in the slow cooker, I'm afraid I might over indulge if its low syn!!

ok the slow cooker rice pudding was a HUGE success...... really really good.

I used this recipe serves 4
397ml semi skimmed milk (2.25syns) or skimmed milk (1.5syns)
397ml water
142g pudding rice
6-8 TBSP sweetner
Nutmeg

I just put everything in the slow cooker and put on HIGH for 3.5 hrs and stirred a couple of times

The slow cooker is on. Going Spanish tonight!

Be back later with the recipe if it doesn't poison me. Possibly photos too, but to be honest, would you notice the difference between the Spanish stew and any other slow cooked veggie dinner I make?

Once you've seen one plate of red stuff with chickpeas, you've seen them all :giggle:

The slow cooker is on. Going Spanish tonight!

Be back later with the recipe if it doesn't poison me. Possibly photos too, but to be honest, would you notice the difference between the Spanish stew and any other slow cooked veggie dinner I make?

Once you've seen one plate of red stuff with chickpeas, you've seen them all :giggle:

LOL

Am gonna try a meat dish for the others on sunday, with lamb. I have a Quorn lamb fillet to have

Spanish Chickpea Stew

This recipe was googled and was originally a meatie slow cooker recipe
http://www.hoboes.com/Mimsy/Food/spanish-chickpea-stew/

I changed it for our world cup final dinner (yes, sad) to make it a non-SW, veggie, fast cooker recipe (with oil and Cauldron sausages)

Today it is a veggie, SW, syn free, slow cooker recipe.

Fry Light
1 red onion (fried)
4 garlic cloves (fried)
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 yellow pepper cut into strips
2 tins tomatoes
1 tin chickpeas
1 tsp hot chilli flakes
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
0.5 tsp coriander powder
0.5 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper
6 quorn sausages (fried and chopped into 6 then added an hour before the end)

Cooked for 4 hours on high. Served with roasties done in rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper and salt. (I correctly anticipated that half would be stolen from my plate so I didn’t eat all those!)

2e32xdv.jpg

Verdict: Very spicy! OMG! Despite cutting out a lot of the chilli from the original recipe, it is still very hot. It made my nose cry lol. Maybe too many tomatoes – it was a bit runny. I preferred the Cauldron sausages as they are a better texture (but have to be synned). I would make it again.

Ok so its Thursay again, which means slow cooker experimentation day!
I have used
red onion
carrots
celery
Quorn sausages
Quorn bacon bits
tinned tomatoes
tin of mixed beans in spicy sauce
stock cube
water
salt and pepper
paprika
mixed herbs
squidge of tomato puree
1tsp sweetner

Have softened the onions 1st and then chucked it all in the pot.
have left it on LOW this time and it will be in for 61/2 hours.............. so we shall see what its like later!

ok the slow cooker rice pudding was a HUGE success...... really really good.

I used this recipe serves 4
397ml semi skimmed milk (2.25syns) or skimmed milk (1.5syns)
397ml water
142g pudding rice
6-8 TBSP sweetner
Nutmeg

I just put everything in the slow cooker and put on HIGH for 3.5 hrs and stirred a couple of times

Yeah - thanks for that :)

I have my slow cooker going at the mo but with a meaty dish, but will be doing green again tomorrow so can't wait to indulge in some good 'old fasioned rice pud! x

Oh nooooooooooooo - tried this today & it went so so wrong :( It was a lump of horrible glue type stuff.

The pudding rice I used was a ground pudding rice - do you think this was the problem??

Last edited:
Celery? It's made of string innit? lol Glad you enjoyed your new creation :)

When you say quorn bacon bits, do you mean quorn bacon strips cut into bits or is this a new thing I haven't seen?

I was going mad recently trying to buy Bac-os to put into my stuffed mushrooms. Remember Bac-os? Google seems to think they became unpopular due to the GM soya used. They were like sprinklings and pre-dated quorn.

Back