Vegetarian Week

Auburn

x x x
Hello,

I read that it was National Vegetarian Week next week. I used to be vegetarian, but started eating meat in 2008. Recently, I think I eat too much meat so I'm challenging myself to "do" Vegetarian week next week. Much to the Bloke's disappointment!

Here goes nothing.....!

That's good:)
How did you go from vegetarian to eating meat? Everyone tells me meat fills you up?
I couldn't eat meat makes me feel sick to even think of it.

The reason I stopped eating meat when I was 10 was because I got poorly from badly cooked meat, rather than it being a moral decision. Parents thought it was a phase, which they "entertained" for a while and then realised 2 years down the line that I was serious!

I moved away (500miles away) at 18 for University, hardly ever came home, then at 24 I came back to my parents house, 7 stone heavier from following a very bad diet and the constant nagging that a Vegetarian life is "not healthy" from family and friends.... it wasn't the vegetarian life, it was the beer, takeaways and chocolate biscuits life. Comfort eating in a rubbish relationship. That was it, not vegetarianism, that made me fat! But I couldn't get that through to them! Mum and Dad always implied I was being awkward by cooking my own food too, rather than eating with them.

I started SW and at a taster night, I was feeling incredibly low. We've already established comfort eating plays a part in my life, and so I tasted a bit of everything. Including chicken curry. And where I'd always thought eating meat again would make me ill, it didn't. So I decided to reintroduce it, and its been fine.

I don't physically feel better or healthier than I did as a vegetarian. It's just more convenient I suppose...

Sorry, did you want my life story? Lol :p

Auburn, thank you for sharing your story with us:)
I think you're a brave woman because you admit that you didn't follow an healthy vegatarian plan. Most people I know that give up vegetarianism do so because they think it isn't healthy when in fact they aren't eating healthy. It's easier saying "oh, vegetarianism isn't healthy for me" than saying "oh I ate the wrong way, so I wasn't healthy, vegetarianism has no blame on this". So congrats for being so honest:) I wish some ex-vegetarians would be half as honest and brave as you are to admit this kind of things;)
I think human bodies can adapt to different diets (from omni to vegan) and when they're done the right/healthy way there isn't health issues;)

I hope you enjoy the challange and come here if you need support:)

xx

I agree, it's not the vegetarianism that's made me overweight, it's my poor choices! And to be honest, I feel like I might be bigger if I did eat meat, as the veggie replacements are lower in fat and I tend to get more veggies this way.

I don't eat meat because I don't like the idea of it, nothing to do with morals for me either! It's hard to explain when the 'carnivores' ask lol.

I agree, it's not the vegetarianism that's made me overweight, it's my poor choices! And to be honest, I feel like I might be bigger if I did eat meat, as the veggie replacements are lower in fat and I tend to get more veggies this way.

I don't eat meat because I don't like the idea of it, nothing to do with morals for me either! It's hard to explain when the 'carnivores' ask lol.

I use to say that every reason to not eating animals is a good and valid reason. The result is always for more good;)

xx

I actualy ate far too many carbs, I'm sure my food choices made me put on weight. I now make sure I have enough protein and fruit and veg. I used to eat a protein poor diet and it never filled me up. But there are alot of people on this site and most of them are not vegetarians, bad food choices make you fat no matter what.
But I just could not eat meat, and no need to nowadays with so many alternatives that are rich in protein and taste good.

Auburn,

Are you there? Hope you vegetarian week went well :)

x

Hi Aline :)

Yeah I'm still here, having a diet-wobble, so trying to keep quiet rather than whinge :p

I did do the full week, I didn't have any meat products, even watched out for gelatine. Life threw a couple of functions in my way - One was a works lunch out, and the other was a friends night out. They opted for a steak restaurant, so I gave that a miss....!

The works lunch, I was reminded how difficult it is to eat out as a vegetarian, unless you pick the right place. It was just a general pub-lunch, but the options for vegetarians were a jacket potato with beans and cheese, the generic goat's cheese tart (I'm allergic to goats cheese) and Morrocan stuffed peppers. I went for the peppers, and I must say, this is a dish I wouldn't have normally even contemplated, but I very much enjoyed it, and intend to re-create it myself!

Another dish I discovered, was a curry made from sweet potato, lentils and spinach. It was really good, really filling... and I was pleasantly surprised to not have a windy evening after that, so that is now in my regular recipe repertoire!

I did find it a challenge, I hadn't realised how much meat had taken a place in my diet. It has definitely made me more aware of what I eat..

(I also rediscovered my love of falafel... Mmmmm :))

Auburn,

You did so well during your challange, go you :D

I'm sure after this week you'll have a few more vegetarian meals than usual, at least to recreate the recently discovered dishes :)

Falafel, oh my, I love the stuff but I never made it at home. It wouldn't last long for sure so it's safer not make it at home, haha. I eat it when I go out to eat :p

x

Back