Veggie/vegan recipes

Mandlegrot

Gold Member
Forgive me if this thread already exists haha!

I'm a vegan on SW and love reading all these recipes but 'veganising' them is not possible on SW, whereas before I could make anything vegan (vegan lasagne - yes please!)

So post away vegan recipes, and veggie ones too, so I can get some ideas, and hopefully some of you can too! As you can imagine its quite difficult doing SW being vegan, but I'm getting there but am getting stuck in a rut of similar meals...any slow cooker ones would be even better as I now have one but apart from soup, I've no idea what to put in it as I've never eaten stew and that sort of stuff...plus my old addiction is bread, and slow cooker food always sounds great...with a LUMP of tiger loaf!!

I'll post up loads of asian recipes as I used to live in the East and cook mainly malay/thai/indian stuff but its a LOT of prep and I cannae afford it at the min so need some free, cheap, vegan UK style food that will keep me full and warm :)

I just did a veggie stew tonight which could be very easily done in the slow cooker - just chop your veg (we had carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, leek, swede, mushroom and onion) and add anything else you fancy (we usually use butter beans but you can also add lentils or pearl barley. We had quorn chicken today for a change but I know that's no good for you), lots of mixed herbs and a couple of bay leaves and then fill the pot with stock until the veg is partially covered. Cook for either a couple of hours in the oven or for the day in the slow cooker. Add cornflour near the end if too liquid. You might need to adjust the liquid (especially if using dried lentils or barley) so check it every couple of hours.

It's mega yummy, cheap and easy to make :)

Also - my fave curry recipe, from my fave vegan cookbook (Appetite for Reduction). It's basically saag aloo but very nice indeed. Muck with the spices to taste! :D

Potato-Spinach Curry

1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I assume this means chilli flakes? American recipes do confuse me!)
2 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used tinned)
1 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable stock
2 pounds potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 pound chopped frozen spinach
1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat pan and add frylight. Add mustard seeds, put lid on and let them pop for a minute (if they don't pop, turn the heat up!). Add onions and cook for 5 mins. Add more frylight as needed. Add garlic, ginger and pepper flakes and cook for another minutes. Add tomatoes (this should deglaze the pan) and cook for 3 mins, then add curry powder, cumin and salt. Add potatoes and stock (it's ok if they aren't fully covered by the stock). Put the lid on and bring to the boil, once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins. Add spinach and cook for 5 mins or until spinach is thawed. Mix well and cool for another 10 mins. Add lime juice, more spice to taste and serve.

Oooh i remember you telling me about that lasagne!! going to make that on the weekend i wreckon...my cupboards are SERIOUSLY stuffed, cannae ram anything else in and theres bags of food in my van as can't fit it in!! But ive had no freezer/fridge for weeks and now have both...been buying bits in so on a quiet week at work I can have a cookathon and stock up my freezer again...cheers for recipes :)

Oooh i remember you telling me about that lasagne!! going to make that on the weekend i wreckon...my cupboards are SERIOUSLY stuffed, cannae ram anything else in and theres bags of food in my van as can't fit it in!! But ive had no freezer/fridge for weeks and now have both...been buying bits in so on a quiet week at work I can have a cookathon and stock up my freezer again...cheers for recipes :)

Coool, let us know what you think!

I don't follow the recipe exactly, I leave out the spinach and make a lentil bolognese instead of the red sauce so it's more like a lasagne. Then I layer up with the fakey cheese and it's all done! :D

Om nom nom nom...I do miss a good vegan lasagne...used to do a huge spread when mates came over - vegan lasagne with homemade creamy white sauce, caramelised onions with pine nuts and date balsam vinegar, salad, home made garlic bread.... yum

*SILENCE*

Will be trying your one on the weekend though - sure it will be just as yum, if not more, because it isn't really bad for me!!

missy1978 said:
Also - my fave curry recipe, from my fave vegan cookbook (Appetite for Reduction). It's basically saag aloo but very nice indeed. Muck with the spices to taste! :D

Potato-Spinach Curry

1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I assume this means chilli flakes? American recipes do confuse me!)
2 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used tinned)
1 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable stock
2 pounds potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 pound chopped frozen spinach
1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat pan and add frylight. Add mustard seeds, put lid on and let them pop for a minute (if they don't pop, turn the heat up!). Add onions and cook for 5 mins. Add more frylight as needed. Add garlic, ginger and pepper flakes and cook for another minutes. Add tomatoes (this should deglaze the pan) and cook for 3 mins, then add curry powder, cumin and salt. Add potatoes and stock (it's ok if they aren't fully covered by the stock). Put the lid on and bring to the boil, once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins. Add spinach and cook for 5 mins or until spinach is thawed. Mix well and cool for another 10 mins. Add lime juice, more spice to taste and serve.

That sounds lovely, def on my list for this week.

I eat a lot of quorn which obv is no good, what about a veggie paella or jambalaya? You could use cashew nuts as a HEB

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My fave dinner is this one One pan spicy rice recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

I don't add the raisins, and instead of the curry paste I use an onion and some curry powder. Sometimes I have the cashew nuts as a Hex B, and other times I have tofu instead of the nuts. Appetite for Reduction (I love that book too!) has a lovely recipe for baked tofu. I like to have this tofu in a simple stir fry with rice.

Basic Baked Tofu
Tofu, firm,
Soy sauce (tamari), 2 tbsp
balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoon
Veg stock, 1 cup
Thyme, ground, 1 tsp

Drain and press the tofu. Cut into slices. Mix the ingredients together, and place in a shallow bowl. Marinade the tofu pieces in the mixture, for at least 60 minutes, turning pieces over to ensure both sides are covered. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 200 deg C, and place marinated tofu pieces on a baking sheet. Spray with fry light and bake for 10 minutes. Flip pieces, spray with fry light again and bake for a further 10 minutes.

My fave dinner is this one One pan spicy rice recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

I don't add the raisins, and instead of the curry paste I use an onion and some curry powder. Sometimes I have the cashew nuts as a Hex B, and other times I have tofu instead of the nuts. Appetite for Reduction (I love that book too!) has a lovely recipe for baked tofu. I like to have this tofu in a simple stir fry with rice.

Basic Baked Tofu
Tofu, firm,
Soy sauce (tamari), 2 tbsp
balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoon
Veg stock, 1 cup
Thyme, ground, 1 tsp

Drain and press the tofu. Cut into slices. Mix the ingredients together, and place in a shallow bowl. Marinade the tofu pieces in the mixture, for at least 60 minutes, turning pieces over to ensure both sides are covered. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 200 deg C, and place marinated tofu pieces on a baking sheet. Spray with fry light and bake for 10 minutes. Flip pieces, spray with fry light again and bake for a further 10 minutes.

Oooh yes, the baked tofu recipe is lovely. Makes a good sandwich filling too.

I have to mention the PPK scrambled tofu recipe too http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/ - utter yum! Lovely on toast with hot sauce :D

The rice dish sounds lovely! I will have to have a go when I get more cashews in (husband ate the whole bag as a snack!). Still miffed that the cashew nut allowance has gone down :(

I quite like doing my own curry paste - spices plus onion, garlic and fresh ginger in a bowl and blitz with a blender. You get a nice, smooth and free paste that you can fry off at the start of a curry recipe. Works pretty well :)

Can't believe the cashew nut allowance has shrank! I'm devastated. I've got my new books, but been too busy visiting relatives to go through them. Must sit down and absorb the new information tomorrow...

I second the tofu scramble from PPK. I thought it sounded awful, but I tried it and was hooked. It is nice on a roasted portabello mushroom. Oooh, just remembered that I like to marinade portabello's similar to the tofu above, and the grill and eat in a sandwich. Nom nom nom.

My fallback meals are usually lentil bolognaise, pasta fazool and a simple dish of rice cooked with some garlic and mushrooms with a bit of vitalite (1 syn) stirred through at the end.

Hey, I make vegan stir fry's pretty frequently, every one is different because I use different vegetables, beans, grains etc. each time. Different amounts of garlic, ginger, chilli, soy sauce etc. adds a lot of flavour too. I'm definitely going to try out some vegan curry's soon :)

Hey, I make vegan stir fry's pretty frequently, every one is different because I use different vegetables, beans, grains etc. each time. Different amounts of garlic, ginger, chilli, soy sauce etc. adds a lot of flavour too. I'm definitely going to try out some vegan curry's soon :)

I love doing stir fries :) I either use sweet chilli sauce or five spice in mine (with soy of course!) and I usually put fresh ginger, garlic and coriander in. To bulk it out I use quorn chicken (which is no good if you're vegan of course) or HEXB cashew nuts.

I try to save some syns to cook it with sesame oil too as the flavour is lovely but I usually forgot and end up having to use frylight lol! :)

I like adding lime juice to stir fries too. Makes the veg taste so fresh!

Starting SW tomorrow and plan to have this lentil & potato bake thing I like.

Boil some potatoes. In the meantime, fry some onions, garlic and spices (I use a little chilli powder & smoked paprika) add carrots, celery & red lentils & cook for a few minutes adding a little water if needed to soften the veg a little and mix with spices etc. cover with tinned toms or some toms & veg stock and simmer until it's not too moist.

Transfer to baking dish & cover with sliced potatoes. Spray fry light or add oil to the top @ cover with paprika then bake until brown.

Sorry for being non specific but it's a made up recipe that tastes different every time!

I love stir fry - i eat a lot of it as i used to live in asia. best one is mix of lemongrass, ginger or galangal if you can get it (morrisons sometimes sell it - its a bit less tangy than ginger but adds different flavour), garlic, chilli, lime and coriander. Fry rice and tofu, add spices and veg..then douse in lime and soy sauce, add fresh coriander, sweet chilli sauce if you like and some HEXB cashews :) nom, nom. Sometimes If I'm super hungry, I'll have a bowl of thai tom yum soup on the side which is super, super hot and not for those with a mild pallete !

I must admit I make a mean Tom Yum soup. It's ny signature dish. I love all sorts of Asian food, although not too much coconut milk. Any more recipes would be great :)

Excellent :) I shall fire away with asian recipes as and when, then! When I was first going out with my OH, I didn't realise he couldn't handle a chilli (or 3) and I'd not long got back from asia...made a thai green curry, pineapple rice (which I am going to try and make SW freindly!! Recipe soon) and tom yum soup for starters...he sneezed, cried and hiccuped his way through!! he now loves a bit of heat, and I've mellowed a bit :) Love asian food, and I find when I have a week of eating lots of it (even fake asian, like stir fried supernoodles) it boosts my losses for that week.

Haha that's funny. My bf can eat super spicy so I have to supervise! I'm loving Rick Stein's far eastern odyssey on surge good food channel. I just love how quick & fresh it all looks. Yes any recipes gladly appreciated :)

Back