Very confused? Which to plan to follow low carb or slimming world??

*Trying-again*

Plodding on til its gone
Hi Im so confused about what plan to follow. I need to get this weight off as its really getting me down. I suffer with pcos depression and roseacea so trying to eat to improve symptoms of these. I have to avoid or atleast cut down on a lot of foods because of roseacea (things containing high amounts of vitamin b3 called niacin as its a flushing vit so causes alot of redness and burning on face. Basically i cant have too much in way of tomato sauces and things which i like but rich in niacin, baked beans, marmite, cereals contain a high amount, and lots of other things. Im not going to cut these things out just cut down as ill end up not being able to eat anything!

Ive tried slimming world and not had a great deal of success with it this time round. Im considering a low carb diet but dont have a clue where to start?

Have many of you had much success with low carb diet or gi ( dont know much about that either) Just googled low carbing and not really giving me the info i need just promoting different diets and plans. I could do with some advice from anyone who has had experience of low carb diet and what if any success you`ve had?

Many thanks

Karen x

Hi karen, you have to find the right diet for you. I am an example of someone who believed they could never low carb and give up potatoes and pasta - until i discovered they were my problem. Most people still say dont you miss.... Actually i dont:) so for me low carb has been both a revelatin and a life saver/health bringer.

If you want to find out more - come over to the atkins board and look at our stickies:D
Good luck finding what works for you!

Look at the low GI diet for pcos. I saw a dietician at doctors and this is what was recommended also all the advice in books and online suggest this. Its still hard, I've known this for years but still can't seem to cut the carbs out.
Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you ladies :) Ill definetely look more into low carb or gi as green day slimming world is too carby I think for the pcos to deal with and red days just keep me hungry x

What I’m doing, and seems to be working fantastically for me, is just making sure I’m eating nutrient-rich meals and generally being more active. I’m staying clear of nutrient deficient foods. I don’t even think about crisps / chocolate / cake / etc unless it’s waved about in my face or left lying around. I don’t buy it, so it’s never something I crave when I’m at home. I make sure my meals have veg, pulses, lentils, and leafy greens. There are some fantastic recipes out there. I’ve cut out a lot of red meat in my diet, eat more fish and use quorn sometimes as a substitute. My slow cooker has been fantastic too! It’s just changing my relationship with food, recognising my binging triggers and diffusing them by doing some exercise instead. I think this would probably work for most people as long as they were resolved to change and some self-discovery and self-knowledge.

I would always be wary of low-carb diets – cutting down carbs will be a must if they make up most of your diet (this is the case with most people who put on weight), but existing on a carb-deficient diet is not entirely healthy. Calorie counting is also something to be wary of, as it can produce a nervous-obsessive behaviour (trust me, it got me when I tried it) which can lead to breaking down and binging. Low GI tends to have more of a balanced approach with the added bonus of feeling full most of the time instead of constantly feeling ravenous.

As Kat1e says, different diets work for different people, but if I were you, I would ask your GP to refer you to a dietician. You should have less trouble being referred because PCOS can lead to and exacerbate weight gain. With a pre-existing condition, I wouldn’t go for any plan unless it was specifically designed for PCOS sufferers. A tailor-made plan will likely suit you best.

Good luck, m’dear. Whatever plan you settle on, if you’re determined you’ll reach your goals… And we’ll all be here to help you on the way. ^^

Thank you Kitsune :) x

I have pcos and depression, so I know how you feel about food and symptoms etc.

For me, low carb definitly works for me with regards to pcos symptoms. However, I take a multi-vitamin becuase I'm afraid of missing vital nutrients that I might get from more carby food, and I think a lack of vitamins has an effect on my depression.

At the moment, I think some of my pcos symptoms and depression can be attributed to me being over weight (not that, for one minute I'm assuming losing weight is a magic cure for ceratonin deficiency, or cysts), so I've chosen to do a VLCD to shift the weight relatively quickly.

I'd definitly recommend low carb, regardless of if its atkins, durkan, low gi or a vlcd.

Absolutely no idea what would help roseacea, apart from laser skin rejuvenation. I know it helps massively, but can be a bit expensive.

I've had bouts of roseacea in the past and a prescribed low dose antibiotic worked for me, it's called Aknemin or minocycline, takes a few days to start working but does clear things up.

Thanks Clairecat

Im on day 2 of slimming world. Im not going to group just following it from my old books. So far ive stuck to original/red days as I definetely feel cutting down carbs is something i want to try as ive tried everything else and it hasnt worked too well.

I have the small capillarys on my face removed with a needle and heat. The therapist seals up each end of the vein and the blood drains away. Its bloody painful to say the least especially with all the nerve endings on and around the nose. Had around 150 needle insertions last time I had it done which was 10 days ago, it will need doing again in about 3 months as it doesnt last with the bigger veins. Although its very painful the results are worth it.

Thank you Fatmanslimming

Ill ask the doctor about the antibiotics. Im finding taking a piriton antihistemine everyday has reduced the amount of flushing from foods containing niacin which causes the most redness just minutes after ive eaten it also anything spicey, tomatoe sauces, curry, marmite, cereals with niacin b3 in them, alcohol, the sun and central heating sets it off too as does the very cold weather so cant win really lol. Just taking more care in what im eating now that i know some of the triggers.

Glad yours is helped by the antibiotics. 1000-2000 mg of vitamin c helps as does vitamin A and E too if thats any help. Also a good mosturiser with these vitamins plus collagen in. Ive been recommended something called Environ and so far my skin isnt reacting to it in a bad way, so hoping that will help reduce the redness too.

Karen

I too would recommend low carb. Im not sure about pcos but when i cut all the suger and processed food out of my diet, my hormones calmed down a lot. i now feel very stable and my acne has gone from my face, it is also an excellent way to control your hunger like with the gi diet which controls your blood sugar and there for cravings.

I started with go lower which gives you all your meals. i got a bit sick of the food but would certainly recommend it for teaching you about portion control and the principles of low carbing.

Back