Very social weekend ahead!

flashharry

Silver Member
So this weekend we have 2 nights out....

Tonight we have friends over for dinner, my OH is planning on cooking sausage and mash and we normally get through a fair (large!) amount of red wine. And then after dinner we'll be walking to the pub for more drinks!

I am armed with coping strategies! I've bought really good quality sausages so they're lower syns, and I plan on making my own SW friendly mash while they all have the 'full of butter' version OH always makes! And of course I'll be having my veggies or salad on the side. I'm swapping wine for gin and slimline tonic and will be drinking water or diet fizz in between gins. And I'll stick to shorts and diet mixers in the pub.

Then on Saturday we are at some other friends for the night, again for dinner and staying the night, usually involving quite a lot more red wine! I have no idea what they're cooking so will have to do the best I can.

So coping strategies for Saturday are that I plan to firstly eat a banana on the way so I'm not starving and don't eat so much at dinner. Breakfast will usually be a fry up which I should be able to adapt without too much trouble. Again I'll stick to G&T, and water/diet fizz in between gins.

I've also got the every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining that I've been battling a chest infection this week and might flake out early (they're good friends and won't mind), which means less drinking time lol.

For both days I'll be saving my syns through the day.

Hope my willpower holds! Wish me luck!

Good luck with it.

I found that many butchers sausages which have nearly all meat and no filler are around 1 syn each. As for mash, I make my own butter (2pints of double cream, stick in a blender with whipping attachment, let it go on until you hear a sloshing sound). Use the whey from the butter making process (the liquid that drains off) and add it too my mash. Adds a syn free butter flavour, so I'm happy! :D

Added benefit is you get very fresh butter that is better than anything shop bought!

Sounds like you've made some really good choices for your weekend, which also sounds like lots of fun!

Definitely try to stick to the spirit and mixer - I find I drink less overall, as although I like a vodka and diet coke, I LOVE red wine, so tend to drink more of that if you see what I mean. Only other suggestion is low syn snacks for when you get back from the pub :)

Are good quality butcher's sausages only 1syn? I also LOVE sausages, but have been avoiding for the last few weeks...

Well if they're over 90% meat then yes, only 1 syn each. Sadly to get that sort of quality you'll need to hunt around. Supermarket ones are so over priced for the really good ones that its just not a worthwhile spend.

My local butcher does 6 sausages for £1 (or around there), and they're 92% meat, 8% rusk+bread crumb+herb filler.

Same goes for the burgers, provided they're over 95% lean meat, they're also 1 syn.

*edit*

I should add.. I only know about the meat quantities as the local council did a spot check on them, and gave them the results which they show on the window so people know what they're getting.

Thanks guys

these are butchers sausages, wild boar and apple, so an even leaner meat than pork :)

I definitely find I'm drinking less in general since restarting SW.

For mash I just add salt, pepper and a raw egg to boiled potatoes and mash up. sometimes a splash of milk from my HEA.

Good luck Vodkagirl.

If you can, befriend a local butcher shop and ask them to make some specially if they don't do it with 90% meat. Its always worth a shot!

Best of luck!

Just been out for a few drinks with people from work. Stuck to diet coke, was very hard watching people around me getting drunk.

Going out on Sunday for dinner, pizza, starter most likely potato skins. Treat now and again is good. Trying to have a night once a month when I can just chill out and have a drink.

:)

I know it's rubbish watching people drink loads when you're on a limit isn't it? I had one more g&t than I'd budgeted for so ended the day on 18 syns. Tonight to get through now!

survived Saturday night too, my friend made jerk chicken with salad and couscous which was an absolute blessing as it fitted into the plan nicely. She cooked the chicken in oil and there were some pumpkin seeds and pine nuts in the couscous so I synned those. I ended up not drinking at all as I felt so full of cough and cold I didn't fancy it, all I wanted was a cup of tea! As they say, every cloud lol. It would have been an awful lot harder otherwise.

I made up the syns from my extra Friday night gin and tonic yesterday, and am absolutely chuffed to bits to get up this morning and weigh, as I've lost 3 lbs :) :) :)

I thought this would be a nice quiet weekend where I would have full SW control, but we've just been invited to friends tonight to eat, drink and watch the rugby and stay the night. And we went out for our usual fortnightly curry with friends last night, which I can do happily for about 23 syns now, but it means saving syns on the days before and after. Oh gods of willpower, please help me! :)

Back