VLCD and PCOS + metformin question

I have been using celebrity slim the last few weeks and have lost a stone. I started a vlcd yesterday and realised only last night that its been 42 days since my last period. I am usually around the 35/37 days mark and the longest its been gone is a year. My cycle had become a bit more regular with being on Metformin. I stopped Metformin a few weeks ago because I was feeling really dizzy and sick on it and I figured with being low carb my blood sugar must be normalising so the metformin must have been making me ill. I am trying to figure out if stopping metformin might have messed with my cycle and the diet might put it back on track.

Has anyone done a vlcd and come off metformin or stayed on it and did it work? I dont want to start taking it again if its going to lower my blood sugar if the diet is going to do that anyway. But if I got pregnant would I be at greater risk of miscarriage not having the metformin. thanks

hey, i have been on metformin in the past and didnt have problems with period but nausea etc but the change in your period could be the diet as a lot of people on vlcd's have irregular periods - I would speak to your gyno as they will be able to advise you the best course of action

hi i am on metformin and it has regulated me and helped me have my second child...when i first started taking it i did have an upset stomach but that calmed in about a week or two...i do know if you take it it takes a while to do the job i was told by my doc anything from 3-6 months to take full effect ...i stopped when i was pregnant and went back on it ....although it has never helped with my weight :(

Well I am signing up for Cambridge but due to Metformin and PCOS and High BMI my doctor wouldnt sign the form! I am furious with him - I dont even really bother with the metformin as after almost 10 years it has made no difference whatsoever and I am not interested in getting pregnant so I just dont see the point. However what I do want is to shift this weight of mine so surely a no carb diet should be just what the doctor ordered so to speak - but no such joy! I am going back today for a second opinion so hopefully I will get somewhere! The key thing with PCOS is weight loss and I have tried so many things over the years but none of them really worked for me - VLCD is my last hope really and so far I am wishing I had tried it first! lol onwards and upwards I guess

There are other VLCDs that don't need doctors signatures although you don't get the 'counselling' thry are a lot cheaper like Slim n Save which is amazing and Exante. My GP refused to sign the form even though I was constantly being nagged to lose weight and my BMI was 42

madchickvic said:
Well I am signing up for Cambridge but due to Metformin and PCOS and High BMI my doctor wouldnt sign the form! I am furious with him - I dont even really bother with the metformin as after almost 10 years it has made no difference whatsoever and I am not interested in getting pregnant so I just dont see the point. However what I do want is to shift this weight of mine so surely a no carb diet should be just what the doctor ordered so to speak - but no such joy! I am going back today for a second opinion so hopefully I will get somewhere! The key thing with PCOS is weight loss and I have tried so many things over the years but none of them really worked for me - VLCD is my last hope really and so far I am wishing I had tried it first! lol onwards and upwards I guess

I have Pcos and doing the cambridge diet x I've tried all the diets out there and only vlcd's work for me

Even though my dr doesn't like the idea of me doing this she still signed my form but I make sure I go back regularly for check ups! Granted when I can off the diet i put the 4 and a half stone back on so I'm restarting again this week, but it makes me feel so much better taking the "problem food" out of the equation!

I would definitely go back for a second opinion as every dr has a different opinion! Surely you paying for your own treatment is better for the nhs! Surely? And with the Cambridge diet there's no surgery which one dr recommended for me! :(

Hope you find a dr to help x good luck x

Back