Walden Farms - calorie free?!

miss.mooey

Ive been introduced to a company in america called Walden Farms that claims to have calorie free caramel dips, pancake syrups and flavoured mayos!! :eek:

i just wondered what peoples views were and whether this is to good to be true... i found an old recipe on minis that uses it as syn free!? But if this is a tweek or not im unsure.

My mum purchased some off amazon so ive tasted it, it does hav a after taste but would be nice cooked into something...

I guess im just after the all clear it was ok before i purchased any for myself.

I genuinely don't understand how anything like that can be completely calorie free? Even lettuce has calories, negligible as they are. Water bring the exception. Maybe I'm being thick but I just don't understand. I'm off to google....

Ok it's because it made up of water, flavour and thickeners. Fair enough I suppose. It's quite preservative heavy but I suppose you would hardly down an entire bottle. :)

So im right in thinking :eek:... :eek: and more :eek: ! Lol

i was rather in disbelief myself until i seen the label.
As i said theres abit of an after taste (maybe cause its only sweetener used?) but think it would be nice cooked into somethings.

think il get some :)

In reality it's not any different to using flavourings yourself on something that would be kcal free. Salt or pepper for example. They just have the tech and the thickeners to make it all liquid. Despite their claims though there is very little in the way of fruit derivatives. Mostly it's the colours that are extracted from them. I spent some time working for a natural pharmaceutical company during a summer at uni and their natural colourants were used in all sorts of things like Soft drinks. They couldn't brand them as using natural extracts though, presumably due to some uk laws. This stuff is American so the rules may be different. As long as you see them for what they are, that they have no nutritional value at all despite all the mention of fruit :)

They are not really calorie free. The food labelling legislation in the US is different and allows them to label something as calorie free if they have less than a certain number of calories per serving. If it was produced in this country they couldn't make that claim and would have to show the actual calories. That said if you are only using the recommended serving size you should be fine taking it as syn free as its still low calorie. But I saw a recipe for millionaires shortbread which used loads of a caramel thing, and I think that would be problematic x

They taste vile apparently...:eek:

I tasted the pancake syrup and the caramel dip.

i didnt think the syrup was to bad... u can tell sweetener is used instead of sugar.
I found the caramel dip had an after taste

Back