Walking boots / shoes?

ColJack

Gold Member
After 5 miles, my feet are sore... I think I need something better to walk in than some grotty trainers ( not to mention the slipping about on the muddy canal tow path.... need something with some grip.. )

Does anyone walk much and can you recomend some decent footware ( that won't break the bank.. )?
I had on 2 pairs of socks, but I think I may be better off with a pair of thick boot socks next time..?

Blacks ahve saome mega deals at the mo. Cotton traders are good too. When I bought my daughter's from Greatoutdoors, two pairs of socks cost more than the boots.

I like Teva, they are a little expensive but I buy mine in the sale. You could go to Go Outdoors & buy a discount card (c£7) this gives you discount off items in the store & you'll save on your first purchase. The Go Outdoor store has a lot of different makes of walking shoes to chose from.

I've also had berghaus shoes which are really comfy & suitable for walks.

Bear in mind when buying your walking shoes they will last ages.

i went to sports direct and got some walking boot/trainer type of things as i walk everywhere for £25 and they are great

I have some walking boots from Brasher. They weren't cheap (about £100 I think) but they are so comfortable and they've also lasted about ten years so far and are still going strong!

im the same as ronnie,i paid about £25 for a fantastic pair from sports direct.got them about 8 or 9 months ago now and still going strong.

I love walking I have a pair of Timberland Euro Hikers they are well comfty. Cost me £70 in sales online, my last pair of walking boots I got from Go Outdoors they only cost £30 and lasted a couple of years.

Might not be up your street but I swear by army boots for any long distance walking. You can pick them up from an army surplus place for about £20 and I have had my current pair for about 15 years. You do need to try on a few pairs as they can be "worn in" slightly differently and you want to find a pair that suit your feet but they are wonderfully comfortable and have a great grip. Mine have walked me up Snowdon twice and although my calf muscles weren't friends with me for several days my feet felt fine!

For guiding etc, I have a pair of hi-tec walking boots, I have had them for a couple of years now and they are still very comfy and supportive. Bought from M and M sports for £15, and they are the comfiest shoes I have ever had! I have tried on other more expensive boots and didnt find them nearly as comfy as mine as they didn't have the same amount as arch support. Sports direct do Karrimor shoes and boots for pretty cheap, my brother and dad have these and find them very comfy.

Sorry for the long winded reply :L

Free2Go member :)

Last edited:
the only problem I'm going to have is finding a pair in my size.. I wear a size 13 shoe and not all ranges go up to that size..
I usually don't even bother looking for a style I like in a shop anymore, I walk in and ask an assistant what they have in a 13 then pick from the usually very limited choice they point out..

As I have huge calf muscles ( well they are/were lugging around somewhere in the 30st range for a long time ) so I don't think that army boots would be any good.. at least nothing that's any bigger than 7 or so eyelets.

For guiding etc, I have a pair of hi-tec walking boots, I have had them for a couple of years now and they are still very comfy and supportive. Bought from M and M sports for £15, and they are the comfiest shoes I have ever had! I have tried on other more expensive boots and didnt find them nearly as comfy as mine as they didn't have the same amount as arch support. Sports direct do Karrimor shoes and boots for pretty cheap, my brother and dad have these and find them very comfy.

Ages ago we had this very same conversation & a friend of mine told me her walking shoes were the best she'd ever had & were very cheap.

When I wrote my post I racked my brain to remember the name & here it is Hi Tec.;)

Back