Wanting to start dieting.

Jo_heart

I'm hoping to buy this Slim & Save diet for a week. I went on it a few years ago and lost 14lbs in 2 weeks, but I just don't have the same motivation. I felt that joining in this forum might spur me on to clicking the 'go to checkout' button on the slim & save website :eek: and also motivate me by reading other peoples stories.

So I'd like to say hello everyone!! :sign0144:

Hello! I'm in my first week and finding this forum offers so much support. I have so many questions to ask! Do you have a lot to lose? I'm hoping to get rid of 6st!

Hi, I am hoping to lose 4 stone. I weighed 11 stone this time last year, and really wanted to be 10, now I weigh 14 stone. Would be nice to get myself on a diet, and actually stick to it. :) How long have you been dieting for? Usually if I don't see results fast, I quit.

I was on Rosemary Conley for all of 2009, I went from 16st 10lb to 12st 10lb! I can't believe I was that low. Took me the full year, and at the end I did start giving up, snacking, going back to my old ways. Then i lost my job and my home and moved abroad! 2010 was a bad year, I was lonely and miserable and working for a terrible family. I put weight on. Now at 14st 2lb, started low Gi before Christmas (at 15st) and I've now decided to do Slim and Save.

I've gone for VLCD this time as I want faster results, I don't want to quit again and it's cheaper! As I live alone I found it tricky to stick to RC as a lot of food would get wasted when small amounts were needed. This way I only buy what I need.

Hi - Ive been on a VCLD for 24 weeks and have lost 6 stone 4 lbs - I still have 3 stone to go. I am with lighter life but am supplimenting their packs with those from SnS where I prefer them. After the first 6 weeks the VCLD seemed easy to me (up to that point everything was very new) and since then I have been in no doubt that I will lose the weigh. I expect to be finished in April. Then the challenge will be keeping it off...

Well done both of you :) think after reading what you two have said, I am definitely going on the diet. Just needed that bit of motivation.

Thanks guys. You know I've always been the one looking at other people's fantastic losses and thinking how great it is but in the back of my mind thinking that I would never acieve it. It came as a bit of a shock when I had lost half thw weight I wanted to and was on the other side with less to go that I had lost! I think because on this diet I don't feel hungry and it's very explicit about what you can and can't have (rather than giving you a billion choices) it has really worked for me. I am now worrying about maintenance though for the same reason.

I have type 2 diabetes and my initial motivation was to reduce the number of tablets I was taking and to feel healthier. Within 2.5 weeks I was off all diabetes medication! That's astounding! It also meant that when I have weeks where I lose hardly anything (eg 1 lb in the 2nd week and I even put 1 lb on in my 13th week!) it didn't upset me and throw me off my stride. Take the small losses with the big ones and it all works out.

It seems to me that of those who put the weight back on afterwards most of them didn't go through a slow re-feeding phase. They just started eating 'normally' again. I intend to take a very long time re-introducing food - probably about 12 weeks. Not only so that I can be in control of the process but also so that I can be sure of what foods kick off my diabetes issues. Then I have decided to book an activity holiday for a year Feb and I will be setting myself fitness goals to get there. It feels like a goal of 'don't go above a certain weight' is a bit negative - so I want to have positive fitness goals that I can achieve and feel myself moving forward. I think I might always need to have some goals in order to avoid putting the weight back on.

Sorry for waffling - I seem to have emptied my mind onto the screen!

Weasey- fitness goals sound really good, I'd love to do a half marathon of even a 5k! My goal when I get to target to to be fit, to be able to run for miles!

Not sure about running! Sounds scary to me! Never done any running so it sounds difficult. I haven't set any fitness goals as yet but maybe I should. Something which sounds impossible to me now (like a half marathon) would be a huge achievement. Lots to think about! Thanks!

Thanks guys. You know I've always been the one looking at other people's fantastic losses and thinking how great it is but in the back of my mind thinking that I would never acieve it. It came as a bit of a shock when I had lost half thw weight I wanted to and was on the other side with less to go that I had lost! I think because on this diet I don't feel hungry and it's very explicit about what you can and can't have (rather than giving you a billion choices) it has really worked for me. I am now worrying about maintenance though for the same reason.

I have type 2 diabetes and my initial motivation was to reduce the number of tablets I was taking and to feel healthier. Within 2.5 weeks I was off all diabetes medication! That's astounding! It also meant that when I have weeks where I lose hardly anything (eg 1 lb in the 2nd week and I even put 1 lb on in my 13th week!) it didn't upset me and throw me off my stride. Take the small losses with the big ones and it all works out.

It seems to me that of those who put the weight back on afterwards most of them didn't go through a slow re-feeding phase. They just started eating 'normally' again. I intend to take a very long time re-introducing food - probably about 12 weeks. Not only so that I can be in control of the process but also so that I can be sure of what foods kick off my diabetes issues. Then I have decided to book an activity holiday for a year Feb and I will be setting myself fitness goals to get there. It feels like a goal of 'don't go above a certain weight' is a bit negative - so I want to have positive fitness goals that I can achieve and feel myself moving forward. I think I might always need to have some goals in order to avoid putting the weight back on.

Sorry for waffling - I seem to have emptied my mind onto the screen!

This is a really inspiring story Weasey! I really agree with you on the possible reasons why people put the weight back on - I know, as I'm one of them! The refeeding is crucial and, like you, I plan to take some time at that stage. The other thing I DON'T do when I'm a good weight, is weigh myself weekly. I think I have to from now on, otherwise the gains are something we ignore! No more ignoring the scales for me! Congrats on your achievements to date...truly inspiring!

Thanks Giza. It's a really interesting point about weighing regularly when maintaining. I'll add that to my list! Thanks!

Welcome, Jo.

Some members have Jedi Master Yoda's fab quote in their signature: 'Do or no do. There is no try.' So it's fab that you are doing. All you have to do is do each shake, each day, day by day. Drink your water and the amgic will happen!

I'm 2 stone down since 15 Dec. Next weigh in tomorrow.

This vlcd thing is definitely abt mind over matter as you are unlikely to feel hungry after a few days and it's habit that makes us snack, pick while cooking etc. It's mind to stay on the sparkling water and not have the gin and tonic/huge glass of red wine, dout or whatever your vice is! ramp up that desire for the new you, with new clothes and a comfortable body.

I just realised that I could probably play tennis this summer. I havent played tennis for 30 years....and I have this desire. Or maybe as, locally, I can also play croquet and also do bows and arrows (No idea what that;s called as a sport!) , I'll try those out. I wanted to try croquet last year but it had a white dress code and I didn't have the clothes. We used to play rough croquet as kids. Very bumpy courses often with more hoops than officially allowed - and I loved it. Though whether I'd love playing it with people who are so rule bound you have to where the proper clothes, I dont know.

What's amazing is that I have the knowledge that I will be thin enough and fit enough to play any type of sport in the summer. How cool is that?!

Enjoy the journey Jo Heart

Ali

I agree with the comment about people who gain it back didn't really commit to all the steps. At least that has been true for me. Seems like I don't appreciate when I'm smaller and get to thinking I can just eat anything. Not the case. I will commit to ALL the steps this time.

Back