Water.. Does drinking more really improve weightloss

reshmus

Common belief in Lighter life is that people who drink more water lose more weight. I have upped my water this past week to about 6 liters a day and not seen any improvement.

I was talking to someone at my session who is also doing 6 liters now and has been for atleast 3 weeks. She hasn't seen any significant improvement. She mentioned how she thinks her body is holding on to the water. She talked about how her clothes are tighter in the afternoon then they are in the morning which makes sense to me but since she has been doing this for a while, the water she is holding on to should be roughly the same each week. So she should see results because she has increased her water intake but she claims she isn't.

This got me wondering:

Why is drinking more water supposed to help the weight loss? Does anyone know the science behind it? and does anyone know how much more one could lose if they upped their water by a liter? I was just trying to figure out if more then 4 liters of water really does increase weight loss or it is just a myth...

Anyone else out there who might know.. or is wondering?

(hehe Almost feels like a science experiment)

Personally, I don't think it has helped me at all. Upping from just under 4 to 5-6 doesn't seem to make any difference apart from I spend a hell of a lot of time in the loo. Not only that, my body seems to retain it too.
So I have stopped drinking so much today, gonna stick to about 4L. Totally sick of it, actually. Even if it does speed things up a little, I can cope.

;) I hear you Alibongo, when I just started drinking 6 liters, I had to go to the loo 3 times in the middle of night a few times. Since I live in a one bedroom flat, my bedroom and loo are really far apart. I was contemplating sleeping on the pull out bed in the living room in order to shorten the currently long sleepy trek every night.

I usually drink my 4l and that's about it...I'm lucky that I don't struggle at all with it. I have had times when I've drunk more and it hasn't really made too much difference. I know when I haven't drunk enough water though... that nasty old constipation kicks in real quick!!! :eek:

I read the link about water and basically it is saying that you have to drink Ice water to make a difference. So if you drink water at room temperature, that dosnt necessarily help. Am I right? Getting confused now.

I usually drink my 4l and that's about it...I'm lucky that I don't struggle at all with it. I have had times when I've drunk more and it hasn't really made too much difference. I know when I haven't drunk enough water though... that nasty old constipation kicks in real quick!!! :eek:

I agree - the real benefit of extra water is just that - it keeps everything moving through more easily.

I drink my 4L with little trouble each day. If I get up to 5, its more for digestive reasons then expecting a bigger difference on the scales.

I read the link about water and basically it is saying that you have to drink Ice water to make a difference. So if you drink water at room temperature, that dosnt necessarily help. Am I right? Getting confused now.

I don't think it actually needs to be iced - just chilled or probably ven room temp is ok. As long as it has not been heated. I didn't see anything about it being iced. :)

I store mine in the fridge, then take a 1.5 litre bottle out and keep it with me until its gone, so its warmer byt the time I finish it, but still what I would consider cold. I would even consider room temp as cold rathar then warm. Certainly this time of year anyway! :)

A couple of people on another LL forum did an experiment where they drank 4 litres a day one week, then 6 litres a day the following week. It made no difference to their weightloss, but a LOT of difference to their lives....nipping off to the loo every five minutes!!

I have about 5 litres everyday and I know how to space them so the toilet trips don't ruin my life. As long as you're having the minimum, I wouldn't worry too much.

Some say it does, some notice a big difference. All I know is that as I got closer to goal was that it got harder to drink more, I certainly felt like I was shifting more quickly when I drank more than 5 litres. And with changes in water intake you have to observe them over 28 days or so, not justone week as you body adjusts depending on how much its used to getting so if you feel like you're 'retaining' it's probably just your body working out what to do!

Back