Water Retention

Mia

Skinny girl in a fat body
I have been reading quite a few posts where people have mentioned water retention. Some posts say this is why we reach a plateau and don't lose weight some weeks. It has never happened to me but I was wondering, can you not take water retention tablets to alleviate this? Would these effect ketosis?

Good question!

Im sure in taking those tabs it may make you dehydrated. With not eating food, which contains water, we are replacing it with the amount we drink. I don'tt know for sure but i'm guessing it's not a good idea...

hmmmm......one to ask a cdc or doctor me thinks x x x

Surely they can't make you dehydrated - not on 3 litres of water a day? Is there a CDC to advise please?

yeah you're right we need a cdc's advise.

I was just trying to use common sense really...at the end of the day if we're loosing water by lack of food, and having to have 3 litres a day to compensate, surely water retention tablets will not help the situation, but make it more difficult for water to be in our bodies?!!!

Hopefully a CDC will be along to be able to help us :)

No to water retention tablets I'm afraid.

Unless it's a big problem for you, in which case you need to see the docs, try not to be unduly concerned about it.

Sometimes when fat leaves the fat cells, they can fill up with water. It's only temporary but can show a plateau on the scales. This has nothing to do with fat loss and one of the reasons why you need to focus on what you do between weigh ins rather than what the scales say.

Anyway, at some point, the water does a whoosh and the scales will drop. It's all very normal.

In the meantime, make sure you are drinking adequate water throughout the day, and as I say, if you are really concerned, take a visit to the doc, but do tell him/her you are on a ketogenic VLCD diet as they are naturally dehydrating anyway (hence the water requirements)

Thanks KD - you explained that much better than me! I thought I was right x x x

Thank you

Hi KD,

Please can you advise why Water retention Tablets are a NO NO please?

I've been taking them around TOTM and I've been alright?

Will it affect weight loss at all?

Thanks

Thankyou for that KD, I was going to get some but will cross them off my shopping list

No to water retention tablets I'm afraid.

Unless it's a big problem for you, in which case you need to see the docs, try not to be unduly concerned about it.

Sometimes when fat leaves the fat cells, they can fill up with water. It's only temporary but can show a plateau on the scales. This has nothing to do with fat loss and one of the reasons why you need to focus on what you do between weigh ins rather than what the scales say.

Anyway, at some point, the water does a whoosh and the scales will drop. It's all very normal.

In the meantime, make sure you are drinking adequate water throughout the day, and as I say, if you are really concerned, take a visit to the doc, but do tell him/her you are on a ketogenic VLCD diet as they are naturally dehydrating anyway (hence the water requirements)

Hi KD,

This has just made me feel better!:D Don't remember having much water retention last year whilst doing CD but over past couple of days i have gained 2.5lbs which i know is not fat. ( I have a confession and did put garlic salt on my quorn - NEVER AGAIN!) So hope to see a drop in those scales in a couple of days.

Am I right in thinking the best cure for water retention is to drink more?

One of the best cures, yes. Within reason though and space well throughout the day :)

i put a couple of drops of soy sauce (bad i know!) in my SS+ stir fry last night and i KNOW i am retaining water, i feel bloated as all hell! it was nice but i'm not doing that again!

Back