Water,Water, Water!!!

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by Mini, 8 September 2006 Social URL.

1. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.33%)
    The good news:

Water makes your metabolism burn calories 3% faster.

One glass of water before going to bed will stop hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters.

Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly reduce back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A drop of 2% in body water can trigger fuzzy short term memory and reduce your ability to focus and can trigger daytime fatigue.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, the risk of breast cancer by 79% and a person is less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Drinking 8 glasses of water each day as you see has so many advantages we should all make more of an effort to do so.

By the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.

60-70% of your body is composed of water and water has an extensive range of functions essential to life and your well-being.

Water assists with digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. If you don't drink enough water you can't get the full benefit of nutrients in the food you eat.

Assists excretion of waste from bowel and kidneys. If you don't drink enough water you get constipated and put your kidneys under stress.

Regulates body temperature. If you don't drink enough water you compromise the evaporation process your skin uses to keep you cool.

Your blood is 92% water. This is your body's transport system that distributes nutrients around your body.

In some people their brain does not differentiate between hunger and thirst and therefore they eat, when in fact they were simply just thirsty.

Try drinking a full glass of water first and see if in fact it you are just thirsty and wait for ten to fifteen minutes to see if you still feel hungry.

If you drink your water too fast it will simply pass through you and be of little benefit to your body. Your aim is to drink water consistently through the day.

The hardest thing most of us find when starting a diet plan is to increase our intake of water, yet it has been shown that those who do drink an appropriate amount of water have better weight loss results.

Some of the most obvious signs of drinking water is better skin, improved muscles, increased energy and constipation and headaches are reduced along with hunger pangs.

When you don't drink enough water your body will go into protect mode and store water, it is a built in survival mechanism to store up the essential nutrients in short supply, just in case they are not available in the future.
    So remember if your are not drinking enough water you are conditioning your body to store up water. This then shows up on you in unnecessary inches and weight in the form of water retention...

Ways to check is you are getting enough water...stick out your tongue and if it is furry and bad breath can be a sign that you have not enough water passing through your mouth to keep it fresh by washing away food particles and bacteria that can build up and give you that furry tongue feeling.

You may not pee very much and the colour will be dark, without a fresh supply of water passing through your kidneys to filter waste products out of your blood.

Constipation can happen due to lack of water as the body will divert water where it is most need by other parts of your body, leaving you with harder stools to expel:( :eek:

Headache, concentration, fatigue and lack of energy can be all due to lack of water as toxins build up in the system as the body struggles to get rid of them.

I find the skin test a quick way to see if I am needing to drink more water and that is to pinch the skin on the back of my hand and it should snap back instantly if I have been drinking enough water...my skin should feel elastic.

Water one of the best beauty aids...

Last edited: 26 July 2008
    Ajax likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Gill-cdthing

Gill-cdthing Gone, but who cares huh

it also makes me piddle like a mad woman lol
    its true about the skin thing on the back of your hand i never knew that,

4. kandy

kandy Silver Member

Just wanna bump this one up for myself xxx

Such good reasons for glugging the old h2o xxx

5. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Could do with this one being a "sticky" for the up and coming new (........ and old hat) dieters!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.33%)

I have just made it a "sticky":)

Love Mini xxx

7. sonkie

sonkie Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    measure up
    I never used to drink water, since tonsilitis last yr Ive drank nothing but water since. My skin is sooooo soft

8. lizzie0310

lizzie0310 Full Member

Start Weight:
    22st8lb
    Current Weight:
    22st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    21st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.27%)
    Diet:
    Charles Clark
    re the furry tounge thing, ive been drinking on average 4 litres per day but my tounge is constantly furry when on cambridge....whats that all about?? advice gratefully received!

9. mags1x

mags1x mags

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2.5lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Bit of this bit of that
    Its the ketosis that causes that Lizzie, and believe me its worse if you don't drink yer water!

What part of Scotland are you from? theres not many of us scots on here.... I'm 25 miles South of Aberdeen myself.

Mags
    xxx

10. ChubLock

ChubLock Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.44%)
    Diet:
    SW/5:2
    Fab tips there...

I *know* I should up my water..okay, I WILL, I promise I will!

11. Flab-u-less-Flower

Flab-u-less-Flower Silver Member

Yes it is very important to water yourself. It helps flush the fat away...

12. cora xxx

cora xxx Full Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    Thanks so much for the tips, I know that I should drink the water but usually only drink the black coffee during the day then glug down about 3pnits of water in the evening but after reading your post it totally makes sense.Thank You so much xxx

Mini likes this.
  13. ScattyKatty

ScattyKatty Full Member

Diet:
    Slim Fast.
    Yep it really is 100% true. The only time I ever really lost weight was when I got moved next to the water dispenser in work during a summer heatwave lol. My skin went lovely and I lost stones (really do think the water consumption played a huge part).
    Now that i'm home with the children though i'm finding it hard to actually remember to go out the kitchen and drink water. Only reason I remembered before was because it was right in front of me lol.
    I'll have to carry a bottle around with me I think see if that helps jog my memory!

14. Jettica

Jettica Shoot to thrill

Start Weight:
    239lb
    Current Weight:
    172lb
    Goal Weight:
    140lb
    Lost(%):
    67lb(28.03%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Water is excellent. I drink about 7/8 glasses a day and I'm still trying to up that. It is amazing how hard it is to get that much water, I always forget but I take a litre bottle to work it me. Then drink two pints at night. But I wee all the time!

15. 32bme

32bme Member

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(17.58%)
    Diet:
    3 meals a day
    Great article
    mia

16. SarahSez

SarahSez Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(43.51%)
    Diet:
    Rosemary Conley
    Didn't know about the 'not drinking it fast' part - perhaps i've been going wrong there

Good advice

17. gill g

gill g Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    that is really good advice thank you i always try to drink my water fast and end up with it going straight threw me, i will now drink much slower.

18. jenpen

jenpen Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.3%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Really enjoyed reading your post from years gone Mini.
    Good advice.
    Thank you. I'm off to slowly sip away at some more water.
    Jenny.

19. *honey

*honey Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13.5lb(8.33%)
    Diet:
    Slim fast
    How interesting, didn't know some of that. Thanks
    Will try to up my water intake

20. michelle185

michelle185 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(6.67%)
    Diet:
    Healthy diet
    Water really is amazing and good for waking you up if you've had a rough night.

21. appleaday

appleaday Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st13lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.22%)
    Diet:
    My Own
    I've started drinking water all the time and am feeling some sort of difference, however i need the toilet (it seems) constantly!!! lol

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.