Water?

Wrinkly

Recovering chocoholic.
I have a confession to make, I don't drink much water. Can anyone tell me just what difference it makes to weight loss - and why?

When you count water intake do you included all fluids, say - coffee, tea, soup & 'cal free' fizzy drinks?

I just tend to drink when I'm thirsty, which isn't often, plus the odd coffee & double cream.

Just how essential to weight loss is water please?

I have lit the blue touch paper & will now retire..... :D

Well basically I think one of the main things is to get rid of water weight u need to neck water so ur body knows its gonna get a supply of it n so let's go of what it's holding onto.

The other thing is that whilst in k, we need to flush out toxins n stuff released from cells that have probably held onto them for a while due to the previous carby woe.

I find it hard to guzzle as much water as needed like...I tend to keep a 1.5/2 litre bottle on my desk at work to monitor it.....

I am on day 2 of Atkins ..... Wish me luck, drank 6 huge glasses of water yesterday and felt great. I think the key is to have it handy, plus if you have a hunger pang it's probably more to do with habit and having a sip of water cons your body.....if that makes sense?

Thanks to all. Yes in a way it makes sense. Actually I'm experimenting with myself, I've just finished my third glass of water since my 'water' post. Thank goodness I live alone, there'll be no queue for the loo!! :eek: :D

Hmm - lots of theories and "reasons" why. I can only give you my experiment of one - if i keep the carbs below 20 AND drink plenty of water i tend to get a whooshie fairy visit:D. I also count my tea as it's black, relatively weak and mostly decaf. Dont include anything with sweeteners (notorious staller) and coffee is a debate dpending on strength and diuretic effect.

I also found in the first few months that if i had a glass of water whenever i thought i was hungry i wasn't! Think i needed to rewire some habits there;)

Oh no! I drink tea, decaf, with sweetener, no milk.....it's just what I've always done.......should I stop it? God it's my only vice really! Don't make me cry!! Lol!

Dont give up on it just yet - just be aware some sweetners stall some people. Keep an eye on it and if you cant seem to lose then may need to try. Also not all sweeteners the same - both in terms of insulin impact and individual impact so can always try alternatives if necessary. Atkins recommended splenda but i think they all have pros and cons

I drink my Nescafe' with ½tsn Splenda, I just don't like decaf coffee or tea, I can only hope that simply drinking more water will help. So far today I've had 3pts water & 4 Nescafe' & double cream.

This is not a problem for most people, but I moved over from being a longterm veggie to meat eater when I went low carb. That meant a sudden increase in protein/purine in the diet. This can cause kidney stones in people who are either genetically susceptible, or who already have damaged kidneys (me). The way to avoid animal protein causing an acid build up which increases the risk of kidney stones is...you guessed it: drink lots of water. I had a slight stabbing pain in the lower back for a while, until I upped my water intake. Pain gone, hasn't returned.

I'm quite convinced that most people don't need to worry about kidney stones, but if someone in your family has them, best to take care.

I also agree with Kat1e that when I do drink a lot of water I tend to lose more weight. Whether that's fat weight or water weight, I don't know, but I'll take it!

Thank you Boggins, a neighbour has twice had a problem with Kidney stones. I'd hate to be in her position.

I have a favourite glass, sounds weird but it is just mine. I bought it in a charity shop for 10p. It's bigger than a pint and again I've had 6 of these today! Keeps up the good work wrinkly xx

I have also not been a big water drinker, always found it hard to drink. I now drink my water warm or hot, no matter where I go, restaurant or to somebodys house, I always ask for my water at least luke warm....it is so much easier to get down!! I am up to between 2 and 3 litres per day now. At first I was using the loo about 6 times during the night, now its down to 2. Happily that normally coincides with my hot flushes!!!

More than six pints Hondapeeps! And I thought I was doing OK with three!

Thanks for the warm water idea Michelle, that will help a lot, not so hard to drink on a cold day.

Back