*waves* Will be going to dr tomorrow about Orlistat - do you think ill be prescribed?

sugar_snap123

Hello everyone.
I have been on minimins before - I did the cambridge diet, lost a bit of weight but it all went back on again.

My current stats are :
height - 5'5.5
weight - 12 stone exactly.
age - 19

I am really depressed about my weight to the point where I diet like mad, eating really really healthy then binge like theres no tomorrow.
I am really struggling and hate the way I look to the point where I dont even let my partner see me - we have been together for 3 years, and he has never seen me fully naked.
I have heard that the Dr will want to see a few pounds weight loss? I was at the docs about 3 weeks ago, and proved that I had lost about 4 pounds and I have stayed the same even though I have been eating healthy etc.
Its driving me mad.

I am a student, so I really can't afford to go to boots and buy this - what are my chances of getting orlistat? and is there anything that I can say to enhance my chances ? - I really am pretty desperate!

Thanks everyone.
x

Id be pretty surprised if you did get it. I dont think youre anywhere near overweight enough to get it. Your BMI is about 27 which is only classed as over weight. Im pretty sure it has to be a lot more than that. If youre already eating healthily anyway and sticking to a diet it very possibly wouldnt work for you.

Its really best used as a tool to keep you on track on a diet, its NOT the miracle pill the media are suggesting it is :(

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply.

Basically, I had piled on 2 stone in a space of about 6 months after I had the implant contraceptive inserted. I have had it taken out and lost about 6 pounds since then, but this is where it stopped - just cant lose anymore. I bought a treadmill and was running EVERYDAY and I STILL didn't lose weight. I dont understand this?!

So if I am eating healthily and walking on average 3.5 miles a day and not losing weight, but am quite depressed about my weight - what else can I do? I am so desperate, I feel so uncomfortable in everything I wear, half my wardrobe doesnt fit me and I now live in oversized hoodies and jogging bottoms.

Is there anything that you can suggest?
thanks again
xx

Totally agree with Starlight hun, I'd be very surprised if your GP prescribed it. As far as I'm aware, you're BMI would need to be over 30 for your Dr to consider it, and even then its not a given that it will be prescribed for you.
x

today's food:

small bowl of porridge - skimmed milk

lunch - chicken salad - no dressing.

dinner will be salmon and veg when the OH gets home.
no snacks - i am not a snacker!!

The reason I heard about it was that someone I know was prescribed it and she is only probably half a stone to a stone heavier than me, and same height - and she has lost quite a lot.

=( I just dont know what else to do!

If calories in is a lot less than calories burned, then your body is going to hold onto every bit of fat for dear life.
To lose a pound a week, we need to drop our caolries by 3500 a week, or 500 a day. So you can either drop your calorie intake by 500 cals, OR, burn 500 cals OR you can drop your daily cals by 250 cals and exercise off the other 250 cals. Over the course of a week, a person could expect to lose 1 pound by doing one of those 3 things :)
x

Oh, I have stopped running and instead am walking at least 3.5 miles a day - sometimes I walk back too so that makes 7 miles at quite a fast pace.
xx

today's food:

small bowl of porridge - skimmed milk

lunch - chicken salad - no dressing.

dinner will be salmon and veg when the OH gets home.
no snacks - i am not a snacker!!

The reason I heard about it was that someone I know was prescribed it and she is only probably half a stone to a stone heavier than me, and same height - and she has lost quite a lot.

=( I just dont know what else to do!

If you included some snacks, like fruit, or maybe a handful of seeds and nuts a couple of times a day, that would help. From the looks of what you're eating, you're not eating enough.
You can have dressing with your salad, choose a low fat option, like thousand island light, you don't need a lot.

Thanks again, I have tried adding snacks as my friend thought I was undereating - however the snacks made me gain weight.
I ate a normal days food for me, plus a hadful of cashew nuts and an apple - and I started gaining a little bit each week - after a month I had gained 4 pounds :O
My body is ridiculous - if i starve myself though, like have porridge all day I lose lots of weight quickly - but I cant NOT eat. Thats just unhealthy. I think my body literally holds on to every piece of calorie it gets I really do.

and I try to stick to about 1200 cals a day, which is right for me to lose like 2 pounds a week. -- which I am not losing!!!

=(

But of those 1200 calories your taking in, your burn off more by walking 7 miles day, so your body goes into starvation mode and hangs onto everything it can. Your body NEEDS fuel, it cannot function without it.
Up your calories a bit, cut back on the exercise a bit, and you would start to lose weight at a healthy rate ( a pound per week)
x

Ali - thanks for the advice and I do understand what you are saying, I dont eat like today everyday - today is a good day :p normally I would eat a little more, but I KNOW that I wont lose weight and instead I would put on weight, I can bet my life savings on it. I was like that before I came to uni, I was eating 3 meals and 2 snacks, and not exercising at all really, other than a few walkings of the dog, and I was still this weight. It just seems to like 12 - 12 and half stone.
Which is why I wanted to try orlistat...

This is really hard because I had a personal trainer before and he was saying the same - eat more etc etc. But when I started gaining weight he was like, I said eat healthily - what are you eating?? Because I was working out really well but STILL getting fatter because I had upped my cal intake to 1800.
And people just say, well your 12stone, you cant only eat THAT and walk THAT much - otherwise you wouldnt be 12 stone. I get so much stick for it at work because I work in beauty. Its just not fair.

Thanks for your replies again.

Hiya,

I totally agree with Starlight & Ali. There is no way the Dr will prescribe Xenical and you wouldn`t be able to buy Alli either. Your BMI isn`t high enough.

It has to be 30 or over or SOME MIGHT prescribe if it is 28+ and you have other health issues.

Sorry :(

LiSe x

Sorry if this sounds rude - but if that is the case, then why are anorexics so skinny?

Ok thanks for all the advice on here. Think I might go for professional advice anyway. Sick of being this size, just feels uncomfortable.

Sorry if this sounds rude - but if that is the case, then why are anorexics so skinny?

Seriously, I can tell you first hand that starving yourself and exercising will only make your body go into meltdown and keep hold of every single oz of fat.

ok, so how come anorexics are so thin then??

I am not being sarcastic, I cant get my ton across through writing LOL. I am genuinely curious. It just doesnt make sense. Of course, it would SLOW the weight loss down, but you would lose weight still.

I totally sympathise that your weight is getting you down. We all have the same problem, That is why we are here.

But I really don`t think your head is in the right place to lose weight and keep it off. You seem to still be in the "quick fix" stage where you will do anything to get the weight off quickly and probably succeed, But end up back at square one because you haven`t tackled the issues about your weight - Why you gain weight etc.

I sincerely hope I don`t offend you, That isn`t my intention :( I just don`t think starving yourself and pushing your body to the extreme physically and then taking tablets on top is the right thing to do.

And I honestly cannot believe that your Dr would prescribe you Xenical anyway.

Good Luck whatever you decide to do x

Back