"We know people who made themselves ill on the cambridge plan"

d1985

Quote from my sister in law yesterday, she probed about my diet and I didn't want to lie so told her it was this plan and that was her response to be careful I don't make myself ill. I didn't ask for more info as I'm a worry wart as it is. I read one archived thread about Cambridge and cancer due to its high soya content but concluded on research that it was one of those many 'possible' links that has no conclusive evidence but that ill comment has made me wobble again - I do not want to lose my weight any way that risks my health.

On the contrary I do think this is quite a healthy plan due to its RDAs, alcohol abstinence and 'clean' eating. there is also a risk of low potassium causing heart issues but the RDA is exceeded on the CWP. I have also read that VLCDs can reduce other cancer risks.

So, having seen many people on here on the plan who have not reported that Cambridge made them ill, plus the maintainers and returners, what are your thoughts?? X

I have high blood pressure and a heart electrical fault, for which I take four different tablets a day. At the end of last year I had an angina scare which spurred me to try the Cambridge even though I didn't think I would stick with it. I really felt completely out of control with food. I wasn't piling weight on, just never losing it. I'd be the same weight in December as in January even though I'd been "dieting" all year.
Because of my heart health I could not SS, so am on 1000 calories per day, but because I felt I really needed a break from making food choices, I'm on four food packs a day plus milk to bring it up to 1000 calories. Last week at my annual check up my cholesterol has reduced from 5.6 to 3.3. HDL is up from .89 to 1.00 and LDL down from 3.5 to 1.8. And I am over 2 stone lighter, with the corresponding reduction in my BMI and reduction in the risk of obesity related diseases.
My GP and the Consultant were very happy for me to try the Cambridge, in fact my GP lost weight on it herself. For me any risks of following a VLCD are more than outweighed by the benefits.
It has never made me feel ill. Hungry yes, tired sometimes yes, and if I don't drink enough water I do get headaches. Well worth the minor inconveniences.

Back