weekly syns

jayde1148

Gold Member
Just wondered how many of you use weekly syns rather than daily? Does it work ok? I'm thinking I would like to be more relaxed on a Saturday - it is easier to stay on track on work days! Thanks

I always have my syns weekly, this week I used 56.5 syns on wine & chocs & because the remaining syns are spread throughout the week until next WI I don't feel guilty or like I've 'gone off plan'. I always make sure I save enough for a glass of wine after WI though:D

I use mine weekly too, but still have at least 5 a day. That way i still have about 50 for a saturday night!

Thanks I'm gonna try this from next wi I think :)

I really don't wanna sound like a party pooper here but I've always heard that you shouldn't save your syns. So in your experience it doesn't really matter? I wouldn't mind saving some syns for the weekend but felt guilty about doing so... was scared it would slow down my weight loss.

Noctu said:
I really don't wanna sound like a party pooper here but I've always heard that you shouldn't save your syns. So in your experience it doesn't really matter? I wouldn't mind saving some syns for the weekend but felt guilty about doing so... was scared it would slow down my weight loss.

The advice from SW is not to - mainly because they don't want to encourage binging. As long as you are sensible you would usually be okay. Like everything else on SW its all to do with moderation.

I used to do weekly syns, but my losses slowed down - so i now try to do it daily instead. Sometimes i go over!!!! other days its under. x

I tried to do weekly syns too (on several occasions!) but it negatively affected my losses. So it's a case of use it or lose it on a daily basis for me.

I do it and it works for me. If a time comes when it gives me a negative affect, ill use them daily, but I do use them all. I dont under cut myself of any syns

I use mine daily in a rough sort of sense. Like I try to stick to 15 but if I have say 20, it's no big deal I'll just have 10 the next day.

If I know I have a night out planned at the weekend I'll save my syns up by having about 5 per day and then use the rest for drinks or food. I'm lucky in that I can still lose weight this way but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

The thing is that even SW can't make up their mind about this so there is no consistent message, and then consultants all have their own take on the matter.

It used to be that SW said definitely do not do this - you should use flexi synning.

Then they changed their mind and said you could save your syns as long as you didn't feel deprived on the low syn days.

Now they have backpedalled a bit and "don't recommend it" (bit wishy washy that) as it can lead to binging and they suggest you make use of flexi synning.

But as you can see many people do it, and do it successfully and if it is the difference between staying on plan and falling off then I say feel free!

So the only reason they give is to avoid losing control and bingeing? I thought it might be something to do with overloading the body with too many syns in one go and stuffing up weight loss.

Think about it logically. Most thin people eat healthily during the week, and relax a bit at weekends. Why would you be any different? Clearly if you are overweight you are more likely to be the kind of person who can scoff 2 giant galaxy bars in 1 sitting. SW are not going to endorse this, even though technically you could save all your syns for the week & do this on a saturday night, and possibly still lose weight.

It is all about being sensible.

Well, looking at the "scientific" sense- if you have more syns, you have more calories- so its harder for your body to work off a lot of calories in one go- hence, more can be stored as fat

if you do the "little and often" approach (i.e only using your syns daily) it is easier for your body to cope with the energy and burn it off more efficiently

That being said- i do use daily syns- but if i know that i'm going to need a few extra (like this thursday i'm eating out- so want to save some extra syns) i'll cut down to 10 syns rather than 15 for a couple of days,and use those extra syns if i need them. That's not every week- maybe every other week at most.

I guess i'm at a slight advantage because i don't drink- so dont need to save my syns up for a weekend drinky ;)

I have just started using weekly instead of daily syns and it has made a big difference for me. I used to feel really guilty if i went over the 15 syns and would generally end up thinking "oh well, I blew it anyway...." Havent done that since starting weekly and I dont seem to want things in the way that I did on daily syns. I dont crave a 6 syn biscuit when I only have 2 syns left for the day. I have "XXX" syns left for the week so I can have the biscuit and it generally means I don't actually bother having it. Psychology is a funny thing.

It will work for some people and not for others, you can only give it a try

I and everyone I know following the diet in real life has done this, can't be that bad or our C would be sacked haha

Syns are beneficial for a few reasons, it means you can maintain your weight more easily.. if you eat no syn food for ages then suddenly do you'll put weight back on. Syns are also handy if you ever get stuck in a rut with your weightloss, you can, for example, have 8 sins a day where you previously had 15, which'll give your weightloss a bit of a push if you need it.
The advice i was given was to follow the guidelines of 5-15 syns properly, so this means don't have 0 syns a day all the time, but don't necessarily have 15 a day.
Hope that helps :)

Back