weekly take away?

lilpixiesue

DH and I always have a take away on a Friday or Saturday night. We've done this weekly for as long as I can remember - sometimes a big one (curry with all the trimmings!), sometimes just a big bag of chips from round the corner, depending on how our funds are looking lol

But since starting slimming world obviously a lot of these things have to go, and that's fine. But is it still OK to have a weekly take away within syns? I have looked at the book and there is plenty I can have happily within syns, and if I am having a take away I would make sure I ate all syn free during the day and try to stick to under 10 syns with the take away, so there is a margin of error...

But somehow I can't believe i will lose weight eating a take away every week? Tomorrow night I was planning to get curry - rogan josh or dhansak, and plain boiled rice, with a diet coke (i only allow myself fizzy drinks at weekends so its almost as much of a treat as wine!) and that will feel like a real indulgence but at under 10 syns accoring to the FO book.

Should it be an occasional treat? Or can i do this every week and still lose weight?

Thanks for your thoughts x

lilpixiesue said:
DH and I always have a take away on a Friday or Saturday night. We've done this weekly for as long as I can remember - sometimes a big one (curry with all the trimmings!), sometimes just a big bag of chips from round the corner, depending on how our funds are looking lol

But since starting slimming world obviously a lot of these things have to go, and that's fine. But is it still OK to have a weekly take away within syns? I have looked at the book and there is plenty I can have happily within syns, and if I am having a take away I would make sure I ate all syn free during the day and try to stick to under 10 syns with the take away, so there is a margin of error...

But somehow I can't believe i will lose weight eating a take away every week? Tomorrow night I was planning to get curry, a rogan josh or dhansak, and plain boiled rice, with a diet coke (i only allow myself fizzy drinks at weekends so its almost as much of a treat as wine!) and that will feel like a real indulgence but at under 10 syns accoring to the FO book.

Should it be an occasional treat? Or can i do this every week and still lose weight?

Give or take a few syns difference to the book but yeah you can! Think about it a rogan josh is mostly chicken rice an veg, all free! It's the sauces that are so bad, currys are pretty healthy if you go for the right ones. Lots of gorgeous figures in Bollywood!

lilpixiesue said:

But somehow I can't believe i will lose weight eating a take away every week? Tomorrow night I was planning to get curry - rogan josh or dhansak, and plain boiled rice, with a diet coke (i only allow myself fizzy drinks at weekends so its almost as much of a treat as wine!) and that will feel like a real indulgence but at under 10 syns accoring to the FO book.

My consultant told me you can save syns through the week too so if you wanted something for 7o syns just save 10 syns from each day. She said its best not to do this every week for the reason you will feel you are on a mon to fri diet but it's ok to do. Or even save up 5 syns each day to build a few extra up for weekend I did this 2 weeks ago saved about 40 syns for weekend and I still lost weight on weigh in day x

Small chicken kebab with just salad is only 5 syns, think a pitta is 8 so you'd still be within your syns with this too!! I've been having a weekly take away and so far it hasn't done me any harm. Going to have chinese this saturday will be chicken chow mein I always half one of those with my boyfriend and plain rice or noodles.

Having a little saturday night indulgence keeps me going so I would be reluctant to give it up. Maybe if my losses were sticking I'd think about it!! I think a weekly treat won't do us any harm and as long as we're excersising and following the plan all of the week and also all day on the saturday then it shouldn't harm it. As long as we don't overdo it!! :)

I've had a chicken dhansak and boiled rice every Friday night and I'm doing ok so far. If the weight stops coming off I'll re-think my weekly takeaway habit. I LOVE not having to cook on a Friday night! Everyone's body is different so I guess a case of seeing what happens.

My consultant told me you can save syns through the week too so if you wanted something for 7o syns just save 10 syns from each day. She said its best not to do this every week for the reason you will feel you are on a mon to fri diet but it's ok to do. Or even save up 5 syns each day to build a few extra up for weekend I did this 2 weeks ago saved about 40 syns for weekend and I still lost weight on weigh in day x

Sorry double post but I'm going by this rule at the min my syns during monday to friday and then sunday are always under 10 so if I go over by a couple on my weekly treat it doesn't really matter as I've still stuck to my weekly allowance. Don't want to deprive myself of syns as I do have about 6 stone to lose!! Lost 9.5 pounds so far

Hurray! Curry tomorrow night it is! Or maybe chinese... I generally try and stick to 5 syns a day anyway as this seems to be all i need at the moment, and that leaves me with 10 syns if i suddenly need a creme egg at midnight :D so i am hoping it will all balance out. I had a great loss on my first week, then a 1lb gain on my second week so I am clearly still figurin it all out (and really shouldn't have eaten so much banana cake in that 2nd week...)

Hurray! Curry tomorrow night it is! Or maybe chinese... I generally try and stick to 5 syns a day anyway as this seems to be all i need at the moment, and that leaves me with 10 syns if i suddenly need a creme egg at midnight :D so i am hoping it will all balance out. I had a great loss on my first week, then a 1lb gain on my second week so I am clearly still figurin it all out (and really shouldn't have eaten so much banana cake in that 2nd week...)

Well how much do you have to lose? If its more than 3 stone don't deprive yourself down to 5 syns hun, I have 6 stone something left to lose and having about 8 a day and like I said save them few for sat night treat lol x

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!!!!

When you get your take-away... WEIGH IT!!!!

The syns in the books are usually for about 360g.... Take-away portions are usually larger!!!

So be warned,... that 6 1/5 syn dish might actually be closer to 10!!!

As long as you are fully aware of what quantity you are eating (and syn it accordingly)... ENJOY!!!

Exactly sguistra and what do we get with chicken kebab, about 5 bits of chicken lol well we do from our pizza shops. Just make sure they don't use stuff on the salads that's all!! The one I had mine from last week didn't, it was all just plain old salad no dressing or anything

As long as you stay within your Syns, there is no reason why you cannot have a takeaway each week. Like mentioned though, just be careful to weigh it and make sure the Syns are accurate.

On the other hand, have you thought of making your own "fakeaways"? That's what I do each weekend, and it really satisfies me - I feel like I'm being really naughty, when in fact I've actually been 100% on plan. I make things such as:

Pizza: I use either a Weight Watchers Tortilla Wrap (5 Syns) or a Warburtons Square Wrap (8 Syns) as a pizza base. Top with either chopped tomatoes, pasatta or tomato puree, and then any meat/vegetables you like. I usually use chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, peppers and sweetcorn. Sprinkle with a Healthy A allowance of cheese and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.

Burgers: In a bowl mix together extra lean steak mince and finely chopped/grated red onion - add a splash of soy sauce. Take a handful of the mixture and roll into a ball, then flattening out into a patty. Place on a baking tray misted with FryLight and cook for 15-20 minutes or so, depending on thickness. I usually use a Laughing Cow Light cheese triangle (1.5 Syns) and cut it in half - I make 2 burgers and stuff half of the cheese triangle in each before baking. When you bite into the burgers the cheese is all melted and lovely, feels really naughty!! Gorgeous served with salad and SW potato wedges.

Chinese: Boil some rice/noodles in a pan of water. Meanwhile, in a pan with FryLight, fry off some chicken pieces, mushrooms, peppers and red onion. Add chinese 5 spice and soy sauce to taste. Top the rice/noodles with the sauce and serve - completely Free.

Curry: In a pan with FryLight, fry off chicken pieces, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Once softened, add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can of mushy peas and curry powder to taste. A really simple curry that is completely Free. If you fancy a Korma, try adding 1 coconut flavour Mullerlight just before serving.

I've even seen a recipe on here for a kebab using extra lean mince. If it sounds like something you might be up for, have a look through the recipes sub-forum, there are some fantastic ideas out there! :)

Curry: In a pan with FryLight, fry off chicken pieces, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Once softened, add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can of mushy peas and curry powder to taste. A really simple curry that is completely Free. If you fancy a Korma, try adding 1 coconut flavour Mullerlight just before serving.

coconut mullerlight in curry is GENIUS!!!! :)

Last edited:

I am so going to have to try this, i make a gorgeous curry with either lamb or beef but have to syn the light cocunut milk! Thanks! x

My weekly treat is a Subway! I had some chippy chips a few weeks ago and all I could taste was the grease on them, ate about 1/4 and threw the rest in the bin - chippy teas were my favourite pre-SW :eek:

Hmmm. It does sound good.

But,the coconut ones have chocolate in don't they!? I suppose you couldn't taste it but to me that would be weird lol.I'd be eating it knowing full well there is chocolate in it and thinking hmm that's not right.. Although I suppose there is the coconut greek ones now.. That would work too for half a syn. :)

graciebaby87 said:
Hmmm. It does sound good.

But,the coconut ones have chocolate in don't they!? I suppose you couldn't taste it but to me that would be weird lol.I'd be eating it knowing full well there is chocolate in it and thinking hmm that's not right.. Although I suppose there is the coconut greek ones now.. That would work too for half a syn. :)

Chocolate and chilli go well together and as there are only small bits of chocolate it all gets mixed up and you can't see or taste it anyway. Give it a go you may be surprised!

I always treat myself to a little take away on a Friday night, hasn't affected my weightloss. Some weeks I live for it!x

Back