Weigh your self daily, or wait for weekly WI??

TheMilkTrayMan

Week 1 I didn't weigh myself at home at all, and waited for the "official" WI at the chemist.

Week 2, stunned by the wk1 results I just couldn't help myself, first thing every morning strip off, jump on, and write it down. Daily weight-loss has ranged from 1/2lb to 1.5lb, and seems to average at about 3/4lb a day. The bigger weight loss following a day where I have been to the gym. Its not only just to see how the weight is doing, I was keen to see what affect the previous days activities had on the process - i.e. good to know the pain and agony of going to the gym is not wasted!

However, this morning I jump on the scales, and the weight is exactly the same as yesterday (very good reliable and accurate scales) which is a bit demorolising, as I can't see how being on just 500cal a day and being fairly active, doesn't lead to some form of weight loss, regardless of how small. The fact there has been a steady daily loss has been the single most important motivating factor in keeping me going through the tough bits.

Should there be continual daily weight loss?

Is it phycologically dangerous to weigh every day, or is it best to know its working to keep the early days motivation up?

Do you weigh at home or wait for "official" WI?

Hiya

I am a daily weigher have been all the way through and continue to do so now in maintenance. I think if you are able to weigh daily without it affecting your mood or demotivating you then go for it. However if no movement on the scales has an affect I would say stay off them and stick to your weekly WI. Our bodies lose the weight at their own pace and it is unlikely that you will consistently see a loss on the scales every day. I tended to go two or three days with nothing and then it would drop a couple of pounds.

Gxx

Hi I weigh myself at least twice a day :eek: .I know that it is not good .I know that my weight can fluctuate so I dont worry it would have to be a steady increase over a few days for me to get worried .There are things that make your weight alter water retention eating late the day before does it for me as well and ate very late last night and 2lb heavier this morn :eek: but that will go by morrow:D i hope lol

i weigh every morning too but i do take my chemist WI as my official one some times i can stay the same weight for 2 or 3 days then at the end of the week lose 3-4 lbs dont get disheartened as long as you stick to it you will lose the weight x

I am a daily weigher - i did put the scales away for a while but the temptation got too great!
It motivates me to see it coming off each morning and i have been happy, although this morning i jumped on and looks like i've gained a pound. I went into shock for a second, and then tried another 2 times (just to make sure) but they still said the same. I thought about it and tried to work out what the hell has gone wrong and can only come up with the fact that I haven't been to the loo for a couple of days, and also, I went out and bought a load of sparkling water as i love it, and have been drinking 3ltrs of it a day. I have just been looking at other threads and it apparantly can make you retain water!
I have my official weigh in tomorrow, so we will see what happens.
I think it's good for me to weigh everyday as it keep's me in check and i can do something about it straight away, rather than waiting a week to see whats happened!

i usually lose 4lb a week and have done every week after my two bigger losses weeks 1 and 2 but since drinking sparkling water for the first time in 22 weeks on the diet last week i lost 2 ! which is still good but not my 'norm' so i also put it down to the water...have been told to cut it out this week but so far havent as it made such a nice change to normal water i have found it slightly addictive with a couple of sweeteners in to make it sweeter lol

i weigh myself at boots during the week once, i am 4lbs heavier at boots than at the chemist which slightly does my head in but i can still see if i have lost any weight or not....i dont keep scales at home otherwise i dont think i would ever be off them. when i refeed and maintain i will weigh myself once a week 2 otherwise i could see myself getting obsessed with checking to see if i have gained anything...

I'm a daily weigher too :eek: I'm not doing this 'officially' via a chemist so I'm doing my own weight tracking... I've got 2 sets of scales, one set is the tradional dial type (& is crap) & the other is an expensive set of digi scales which seems to be pretty much bob-on :)

I've averaged around 3/4 lb loss a week :)

lol am i the only one who dont own scales ? :eek:

i dont include the wii fit cos i dont look at it lol , i just get weighed every week ,

Howdy, would you mind telling me what not doing it thru the chemist is?
If it's private, just tell me to mind my sticky beak!! I won't take offence, honest!

Hi,

I don't have scales and only weigh weekly at the chemist. If I work this programme I know it works, it can't not do, so I don't torture myself. I found it hard enough not to be affected by a 2lb weight loss one week when I follow the programme 100% so its safer for me not to have scales around.

Obviously everybody is different and some can cope without a panic. This programme is a big picture, over a month you lose a stone programme so if you weigh daily and nothing budges or a bit goes on it does mean something is going wrong, unless you cheated. It means you need to 'go' or your retaining fluid etc. Bodies are not machines and they do their own thing so I don't think it is realistic to expect a consistent daily weight loss.

Thats a long way of saying don't worry you are doing really well, weigh when its best for you x

Hi,

I don't have scales and only weigh weekly at the chemist. If I work this programme I know it works, it can't not do, so I don't torture myself. I found it hard enough not to be affected by a 2lb weight loss one week when I follow the programme 100% so its safer for me not to have scales around.

Obviously everybody is different and some can cope without a panic. This programme is a big picture, over a month you lose a stone programme so if you weigh daily and nothing budges or a bit goes on it does mean something is going wrong, unless you cheated. It means you need to 'go' or your retaining fluid etc. Bodies are not machines and they do their own thing so I don't think it is realistic to expect a consistent daily weight loss.

Thats a long way of saying don't worry you are doing really well, weigh when its best for you x

I am the same: I don't have scales at home. Thinking about the weight loss only once a week helps me focus on the big picture.

I weigh myself when the temptation overwhelms me! MilkTrayMan, I certainly don't lose everyday at the moment. Been 3 days and no loss and I haven't been nibbling chicken for a couple of days either! To be fair though I have lost 4lb off my 1st week weigh in so would be happy if I stick at that to be honest, not going to be greedy! As long as I know the ketones are still there I'm happy (I do check that daily).

Noisy, if you are losing weight then you are in ketosis. My chemist never checks mine either. If you want to check then you need ketostix. You wee on one then check the colour. If you are in ketosis then it should be pink. Always check first wee of the day as you should be drinking enough to flush the little blighters out the rest of the day and they are most concentrated first thing. If the stix is purple then you are not drinking enough water.

I have some very cheap cr*p scales which I occasionally weigh myself on but only go by the chemists scales. My losses have slowed down so it just warns me if a big loss is not coming.

The first week or so you do have larger losses but it does settle down. LT reckon on a stone a month which is about 3.5lb a week or half pound a day. If you only lose 2lb one week then chances are you wouldn't have lost at all on another diet. I've been on LT 16 weeks (tomorrow) and have averaged out at a stone every 4 weeks over the last few months. It was higher at the start.

X

ketones

I use multistix, luckily I can get them at work but you can buy them too, although ketostix are probably better for this diet, mine monitor lots of things not neccessary for healthy people! They are just urine dip sticks. Wee on it :tear_drop:, if it goes pinky purple you have ketones :D! Best to do it first thing in the morning for a concentrated sample as levels fluctuate through the day.
Ketones - ExpressChemist.co.uk - Buy Online

Try this website for good offers.
xxx

Thanks remy and cuddly! I may track some of those down. 16 weeks!!! You are doing great. :party0049::worthy: I am determined to stick to it that long!!!

Thanks for the link remy!:D

Noisy, it defo gets easier with time.

You will get to target and I will be on LT till at least November so I will be here to encourage you and celebrate your successes with you for a long time to come.

Good luck.

x

My scales at home which are very expensive digital ones still make me 5lbs lighter than the chemists so i only tend to weigh myself on the on WI morning before i go get weighed in the evening after work. its still not that acurate but the figures have gone down so i know I have at least lost!

I'm guilty of being a daily weigher. My scales are 1-2lbs lighter than the chemist scales so I just use mine to reassure myself that it is working - I can get a little paranoid about it lol.

Even though I weigh every day at home I only ever count my official WI at the chemist properly and that is the weight that I post here every Monday.

Oooohh..... speaking of which... Good Luck Mon
dayers!!!

hi

I am a daily weigher too, some days my scales stay the same, yesterday i was 0.5lbs heavier! then today i had lost 1lb! your body varies.

i find if i drink lots i lose more weight, if i dont drink enough, the scales play tricks on me!

as porgeous said, only do it if you can take it... your body will fluctuate, but over a week you will notice a regular drop in weight.

this week looks like i have lost 1kg rather than 1.5kg, but i really dont mind, as i am consistently losing weight, my clothes are getting looser, (had to give loads away already!) and i know in the long run, well actually even short run!! i will be slimmer and healthier!

hope all goes well for you, just stick with it.

Back