Weight loss completely slowed down since joining the gym.

raquelscatt

I have been on SW for 2 months now and have lost just 11lbs, (I have about 8 stones to lose.) Not long after I joined the gym, just doing the treadmill, bike, stretching and swimming, 3-4 times a week!

In the past 4 weeks, my weight loss has dropped to just 1/2lb a week and I am following SW correctly too.

I am not disapointed as I can feel the health benefits and feel fitter than I have in years, plus some of my smaller clothes are starting to fit but I thought the lbs would melt away with doing SW and exercise together!!

Does anyone else find the same? I am starting to feel I need to just concentrate on the exercise more and not waste my money attending a sw class every week.

I have being going to the gym since about week 2 of following SW. My losses have actually been really good up until 2 weeks ago when I had a new programme done. I lost 1/2lb, then STS & finally this week I lost 4lbs.

Don't give up just yet. Are you eating enough? Also remember fluid intake is very important, especially when exercising.

Its been suggested to me, that i stop the exercise till i loose the weight because this seems to have happened to me (lost 8lb in 2 wk, then started excercising and then its 0.5lb here and there)
BUT... the exercise is good for our bodies, toning & our hearts.
So going to still exercise, but maybe not as much as i was doing.

Maybe you are doing too much, too soon? Perhaps try going just once a week for a while, and then as you start to lose more, you could up that and start going twice or thrice a week? It is likely that rather than losing the weight, your exercise is starting to turn fat into muscle.

Also, are you drinking enough? Fluids are really important when exercising.

I'm no expert, but these were just my initial thoughts xx

Thank you for your comments!!

I drink plently anyway, always have done, and I am on a basic programme from the gym due to how un-fit I was/still am!!

Weigh in night tonight so we shall see!

I've always been of the same mindset - more exercise = more weight loss. But it hasnt worked that way for me this time. I've lost more in the weeks I havent done as much exercise.
BUT in IMO the exercise is still an important part of the lifestyle change. Exercise will help keep the weight off after you get to target so its important its integrated (albeit slowly) at some point during your diet. It helps you tone up and keeps your heart healthy too :D

I dont know what the solution is, but personally I've decided to limit my sessions to 3 a week and do them in the 3 or 4 days after weigh in and not in the days just before the next weigh in. It might help it might not, I'm giving a go though :)

Good luck at your WI tonight hun, let us know how you get on xx

I know how your feeling. Been losing for eight months every week. I started the c25k in July and have been running 3 times a week since. At the beginning of October I started jazzercise a few times a week as well. Yesterday I started the bridge to 10k. But the weight loss is soooo slow now. I couldn't get to class this week so have been scale hopping at home and the numbers are just not moving. In fact they keep looking like they're going up!

I had originally set my target just within a healthy bmi weight. However I want to add another six off for my final target in the hope that a size 12 will fit wherever it's from! Now I'm thinking I may never get there!

the same has happened to me, as i understand it it is that your body is burning fuel differantly.

dieting with out exercising means you burn fat and muscle, dieting with exercisr means you just burn the fat.

obviously you don't really want to be burning muscle, as i see it i would rather accept the slower losses and exercise. cos for me its about lifestyle change and sustainability.

good luck for tonights weigh in, remember a loss is a loss no matter how small it is xx

I completely understand where you are coming from. If I exercise too much I get a gain but if I lay off it the next week I get a nice weight loss. I'm not sure what the answer is but I try now to exercise moderately and stick to slimming world.
As I get closer to target I will up my game exercise wise.

On that note I'm off for a wlak with my dog and my two littlest babies.

Well done on getting to the gym, I promise in the long run you will benefit massively!

Basically, when you exercise muscle is built which take the place of fat, BUT muscle weighs more than fat so that is probably why your losses arnt as good. I bet any money that if you took your measurements you would have a great inch loss! And the good thing about building muscle is that the more you have of it, the more fat your body naturally burns!

I really wouldnt scale back the gym at all. Keep up exactly what you are doing. Afterall, its not all about how many pounds we see on the scale, its about what we look like in the mirror and the smaller sizes we can fit in to! You might stay the same weight for a few weeks but be able to fit in smaller clothes!

:)xxx

I've done what Loll said and have taken my measurements to keep an eye on too. If you did too hopefully you'll see a change there, if not so much on the scales.

Thankyou for this thread!!!!!! I've got about 18lbs to lose and it's coming off far too slowly for my liking however I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and play netball 1-2 times a week....... I love both and honestly thought this would boost my weight loss but this is not the case and it's hard to stay motivated with SW when you don't lose the lbs!!!!!! However my fitness is massively improved and I'm starting to get my toned stomach and legs back :) you've made me feel much better about things so thankyou!!!!!! :) Xxxx

BUT muscle weighs more than fat so that is probably why your losses arnt as good.

:)xxx

Sorry to correct you, but a 1lb of muscle weighs EXACTLY the same as a 1lb fat - its just they take up different size of area (see pic)

Attachments

• 1lb fat v 1lb muscle.jpg
    1lb fat v 1lb muscle.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,503
Slimbysummer said:
Sorry to correct you, but a 1lb of muscle weighs EXACTLY the same as a 1lb fat - its just they take up different size of area (see pic)

The small muscle gains will slow down weightloss. But the muscle takes up less space than fat, there's lots of comparisons on the web if you care to google.
However I lost a dress size with a weight loss of only 4.5lb!!! The previous dress size was with a stone loss! So check those measurements!
I'm thinking at some point the muscles will teach critical mass and the weight will tumble! Well I really really hope my theory is correct!

The small muscle gains will slow down weightloss. But the muscle takes up less space than fat, there's lots of comparisons on the web if you care to google.
However I lost a dress size with a weight loss of only 4.5lb!!! The previous dress size was with a stone loss! So check those measurements!
I'm thinking at some point the muscles will teach critical mass and the weight will tumble! Well I really really hope my theory is correct!

so do i :D

Back