Weight loss diary, confusing personal revelations and hopefully some progress.

Right - obviously I'm brand new to this site, and I apologise if the personal information is too personal for the board. If so, don't hesitate to tell me off/expunge where deemed fit.

My name is George, though I'd rather go by Ellie. I'm 23, from England, and for a year or so now have been figuring out just where I stand on gender, heh. I've come to the conclusion that I'm definitely male, however I prefer to feel female fairly often - I've no interest in a sex change, or trying to pass for a woman - but I would enjoy being able to wear more female clothing, and being called Ellie.

This, along with feeling like a fat piece of crap for a while, lead me to my first initial weight loss push. I went from 24 stone [336lbs, 153kg] to 18 stone [252lbs, 115kg]. I was calorie counting, exercising, and feeling amazing with it. Then tonsillitis followed by glandular fever floored me for months, costing me my job as well as all my energy. Since recovering my weight has gone back up to 19 stone, and I've not been exercising at all. I have decided now is the time to change it, to go with all the other lifestyle changes I want to make.

So! Weight loss through calorie counting and exercise is the plan. Because I like numbers and stats, here's some now.

Height: 6'2"
Starting weight: 19 stone [266lbs, 121kg]
BMI: 34

Goals: I'm very broad - with the right work and effort, I could look like Arnie, heh [and it's also part of the reason I don't care to try and pass for a woman. Even after my weight loss, I'll still be huge at the shoulders]. But. I want a more slender body. Think Justin Timberlake. To this end, while I will be doing some muscle-building exercise, I will be sticking more to aerobic exercise. Once I've stripped myself of some fat and my body starts to show, I can consider whether I want to be more muscular or not.

So, for now at least, the goal weight is 15 stone [210lbs, 95kg]. This still leaves me at an overweight BMI, however I don't believe that it's a great scale for people of my size. I'd be dying if I were 10 stone, the low end of healthy for my height. Once I reach there, I can decide whether I want to keep losing weight or not.

Diet: I plan to eat 2,000kcals a day, and to keep a written diary of what I eat each day on here. I wasn't hungry after a couple of weeks when I did it before, and I never felt drained from my exercise. I also need to incorporate more fruit and veg into my life - I do have at least two types of vegetables with my dinner, however fruit can be such a cheap snack, and much healthier. Obviously it contains fructose, so it's not calorie-free, but there's plenty more goodness in an apple than a Snickers.

Exercise: I plan to jog on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, with a press-up routine on three of those days as well. I plan to do a dumbbell routine, and a sit up routine on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I'm just not strong enough to do proper press ups now, so they will be done on my knees for now.

Measurement: Every Monday I will measure my weight. Every four Mondays I will take a progress photo - we'll see if I upload them or not. Once I have found work again, I plan to also find a personal trainer who will help me with the biometrics as well, though that's months off at best.

---------------------------------

Thank you if read this far. I've a lot of plans, and encouragement or criticism would really be appreciated. This also marks the first time I'm posting as Ellie, heh - so feel honoured, I guess?

5th Jan, 2015:

Food eaten: 2 buttered scones [500kcals], 2x apples [120kcals], toad in the hole, with gravy, peas and brocolli [900kcals], cheese, tomato and roast beef toasty [400kcals], biscuit [50kcals]. Total: 1,970kcals.

Exercise done: jogged, didn't get anywhere near as far as I hoped. Still, I'll get better. Did the first of my press-ups, feels like cheating not doing proper ones, but eh. I need to build up to them.

Hi Ellie :) Just wanted to stop by and say hello and well done for you fab first day :) If you come over to the wemitts (we mean it this time) which is the 'slimming clubs' section then look for ' a lot of weight to lose them join the wemitts' and we have a january challenge and a 2015 challenge collectively know as Team Fabulous, you should join :) everyone is so supportive and will be sure to help you along your journey. I look forward to seeing how you get on :) X

Welcome Ellie.

As Hershey says, those girls are unreal over there on that board, I'm addicted to that 2015 challenge thread - they are ON IT!!

Very best of luck

Hi Ellie and welcome! Lovely to read your post, you seem focused and more importantly committed to losing weight (it's usually where I fail when I lack commitment and I'm a serial dieter!)

Look forward to following your journey and supporting you where and if I can - even though I'm not the most successful "loser" here:)

Thank you all for your replies, it means a hell of a lot. Not particularly good at vocalising this kinda thing, but it really is awesome to see some replies.

Hershey, I had a look, and am happy to post, but not timed weight loss goals. It'll happen as it happens - I think it's much wiser to set fitness goals. For example, "next month I plan to be able to run for 15 solid minutes without a break." While I do control what food goes into me, it's much harder to gauge what comes off. I have a much better idea of how my running should improve over time.

Evening Ellie, it's whatever helps us lose weight and it has to be the approach that works for each individual. It's great that your running as that does help with the feel good factor even if it's improving a run and extra minute. I loved the high I got when I managed to improve running from barely a minute to eventually 20 min! Would love to do that again!

hope food wise you've had a good day.

6th January, 2015:

Food eaten: 2 buttered scones [500kcals], 1 pear [90kcals], 1 satsuma [20kcals], cheese, tomato and roast beef toasty [400kcals], haggis and mashed potatoes [700kcals], Pringles [300kcals]. Total: 2,010kcals. Tummy is still rumbly, but it's not unbearable by any stretch. I know I'll be fine with this food intake soon. Also the first time having haggis today - it was delicious.

Exercise done: first day of sit up regime. Did so little work and it left me so tired, heh - the program does groups of five sit ups with a brief rest between. Today was 3, 4, 3, 3 and 5 sit ups in the reps. Bodybuilding.com - Total Body Training With Only A Pair Of Dumbbells. - did this regime for my weightlifting, with 2 sets of 10 reps for each. Used a pair of 2kg weights, which was right to start with I think. I imagine I'll quickly go up to 5kg, but for now I don't push too hard in case I burn out.

-------------

Thank you very much Kira. I shall post in the monthly challenges with my exercise goals then, rather than my weight loss. I'd love to be slender by July, but it'll happen when it happens. I'd much rather slow down my weight loss if I got to improve my fitness at the same time - I've never understood how people can just diet and expect everything to be perfect. I really do want my fitness to be the biggest thing focused on, with the weight loss being a happy side-effect of it.

7th January, 2015:

Food eaten: 2x pear [180kcals], Quorn chicken and mushroom pie, with boiled potatoes and green beans [800kcals], chocolate busicuit [120kcals], shortbread [160kcals], spaghetti bolognse [700kcals], half peanut butter sandwich [140kcals]. Total: 2,100kcals. Went over by 100kcals today, which I'm a little annoyed with - a second shorbread was too much it seems. Ah well, I'm still well under my maintenance calories.

Exercise done: ran again today, making a little progress - managed to run at full pace for 4 minutes this time, not 3. The press ups feel a lot less like cheating now, I managed them all but it was challenging. But that's good, means I'm doing it right.

7th January, 2015: Food eaten: 2x pear [180kcals], Quorn chicken and mushroom pie, with boiled potatoes and green beans [800kcals], chocolate busicuit [120kcals], shortbread [160kcals], spaghetti bolognse [700kcals], half peanut butter sandwich [140kcals]. Total: 2,100kcals. Went over by 100kcals today, which I'm a little annoyed with - a second shorbread was too much it seems. Ah well, I'm still well under my maintenance calories. Exercise done: ran again today, making a little progress - managed to run at full pace for 4 minutes this time, not 3. The press ups feel a lot less like cheating now, I managed them all but it was challenging. But that's good, means I'm doing it right.

That's a fab day well done Ellie :)

And the exercise is brill! You are doing great x

M

8th Jan 2015 Not a great day today. Food was 2,000kcals today, but lots of bleh today. Didn't get my exercise done at all. Will pick it up tomorrow. Thank you for the support Hershey. How are you doing?

We all have those days, it's part of life. As long as you keep the focus you will succeed :)

I'm doing ok, first weigh in of the year tomorrow!

X

Back