Weight Loss Improves Mood In Depressed People, Study Shows

Minimin

Wants to Maintain Gd!!
Weight Loss Improves Mood In Depressed People, Study Shows
WASHINGTON, July 28 (Bernama) --A new study showed that weight loss programme could improve depressed mood and reduce risk factors for heart disease in obese patients, reports China's Xinhua news agency on Monday.

The study revealed that after a six-month behavioral weight loss programme, the depressed patients lost eight percent of their initial weight and improved significantly in their symptoms of depression.

The study, which will presented on Tuesday at the Annual Meeting of the U.S. Society for the Study of Ingestive Behaviour (SSIB), also revealed that there is a reduction in triglycerides, the risk factor for heart disease and stroke.

The report, cited by Xinhua news agency, reported that fifty-one depressed and non-depressed subjects were recruited into the study to follow a supervised weight loss programme that included lifestyle modification and meal replacements.

Both depressed and non-depressed subjects lost significant amounts of weight, with depressed individuals losing eight percent of their initial body weight, compared with 11 percent loss by non-depressed individuals.

After six months on the weight loss programme, depressed subjects also showed significant improvement of their depressive symptoms based on a questionnaire.

Additional significant improvements in glucose, insulin and high density lipoprotein cholesterol were observed in both depressed and non-depressed subjects, and depressed individuals showed reduced levels of triglycerides in the blood, which have been linked to risk of heart disease and stroke.

"Depression and obesity are independently associated with increased risk of heart disease and stroke, and so reductions in both body weight and symptoms of depression are likely to improve long-term health outcomes," said Dr. Lucy Faulconbridge, of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, who is also lead author of the study, Xinhua said.

Faulconbridge said the latest findings suggested that depressed, obese individuals can indeed lose clinically significant amounts of weight, and that weight loss can actually reduce symptoms of depression.

It also highlight the need for further research into the effects of weight loss in individuals suffering from psychiatric disorders.

BERNAMA - Weight Loss Improves Mood In Depressed People, Study Shows

Well, I know I'm in a much better mood when I've had a good result at WI!!! ;)

I was nodding at the heading of this article before I read it. I have noticed that my mood is much more positive when losing weight. I've often thought that too much sugar affects mood negatively and I usually eat too much of it. When dieting, I cut down the sugar, and soon feel my mood improving.

Is it the reduction of weight or the reduction in sugar intake that is significant, though? Or, a bit of both.

Good article, thanks minimin.

LOL, me too, I was dancing every Friday back in the day :bliss: :bliss:

Back