Weight loss plan, sensible? and cardio.

trw1972

Hi all

Most of my life ive been lean and in good shape, until about 5 years ago i had a training accident and simply did not go to the gym for 5 years...add in bad diet and i find myself now 45, and at 5ft 11 i weigh a 'skinny fat' 14st!, im looking to drop back down to 12st 7, i hate the double chins most of all.

I want to get back into shape, so i have cut my calories to around 1800 calories (all the calculators suggest my needs are around 2500 calories). Im eating fairly high protein, moderate fat, and moderate carbs (greek yoghurts, oats, fruit, lots of veg, no added sugar baked beans, pumpkin seeds, chicken breast- you get the idea)

Ive also started heavy weight training 3 times a week (deadlifts, squats etc) as i dont want to lose what lean mass i have.

Does this all sound a sensible plan?

Also whilst this has lost me 6lbs over the last 2.5 weeks i would like to speed the weight loss up, i have a treadmill at home and ive considered doing 20 miles a week to increase my deficit, i cant really cut calories much more as hunger is an issue already and im not convinced id get my nutrients on a much lower calorie diet.

Im just wondering if anyone has added lots of cardio to an energy restricted diet, and if so how did you find it?

Did you find you struggled to do strength training on top of cardio and energy restriction? did it massively impact weight loss? did it make the hungry feeling worse?

Thanks.

Hi @trw1972 , how are you getting on? Your weights and good look good to me.

I'd say you e hit the nail on the head with not restricting any more calories. If you're adding cardio on to your weights you might well find that you've got to up your calories to sustain training. I think Joe Wickes is the guru for diet and getting a shredded look. Plenty of advice on food and training on instagram and YouTube.

I cycle a bit and do the odd circuit ( rarely now) but have found that the calorie or type of food intake makes a difference on my performance. Loads of people swear by porridge as a great slow energy release food, I find that I bonk if I eat a slimming world portion, but have no problems if I add or eat eggs separately (Omelette or on toast) , the protein seems to work better for me.

Maybe stick to your plan and don't speed it up. Is weight loss really your goal or is changing shape and composition the challenge? I think going by inch loss or gains might be a better measurement?

Keep us posted. Good luck

Quins

Hi Quin

Unfortunately the weight on the sidebar is out of date, thats from when i was last active on minimins - i am back to 14st now, i cracked a rib training about 5 years ago and just didnt go back to the gym for years and ate badly.

My goal is purely fat loss, whilst trying to keep any lean mass...its all a bit frustrating.

My strength has come back quickly, im benching and squatting my own body weight, and deadlifting close to double my body weight again.

But my weight is only dropping a couple of pounds a week, logic tells me thats as much as i can hope, but i guess i just want it to happen faster (and i know how silly that sounds!).

Ill leave the cardio for now, i agree...cheers.

Cant train at the moment mate, golfers elbow and it is driving me insane. Should do cardio instead but find it boring.

Back