Weight loss surgery

Ani*me

Does anyone know if you can stay on Cambridge after having a gastric bypass? I know you have to be on liquids for a while after the operation, so was wondering if you could just stay on cambridge as its liquids :confused:

I always understood VLCD's like cambridge to be the alternative for the surgeries like that. While I would think that might be a question more suited for your doctor if you're restricted to a liquid diet, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do cambridge.

Ani*me

I you go to the main page of minis and go to the Surgery Weight Loss section, there is a link to a new minimins website there. It's a forum for people who are considering and have had WLS. Someone there should be able to answer your question.

Your User name and Password will be the same.

Good luck with your journey.

XX

I tried that but they didnt have many answers, dont think they really know what cambridge is :(

When is your surgery? Looks like you might have to ask the surgeon.

Just a thought given how much you want to be slimmer (having considered WLS) is it not worth persisting with CD. Because your losses with WLS will be similar just slower from what I have read on the other forums.

Bren
X

Its not for another 5/6 months and doing cambridge to lose weight before the surgery. Im not really getting a bypass to lose weight, thats just a bonus. Getting it as a tool to aid my bad eating habbits. My consultant knows im doing cambridge atm and he thinks its a possitive but dont see him again until feb to ask him if its ok to still do it after, so was just wondering if anyone knew the answer now :)

If you can do CD would you not be better doing that than having surgery. I always thought surgery was a thing people only considered if everything else had failed. If you have the willpower to do CD that would seem a much better option.

If you can do CD would you not be better doing that than having surgery. I always thought surgery was a thing people only considered if everything else had failed. If you have the willpower to do CD that would seem a much better option.

I dont really have any problem losing weight, its keeping it off :(. All through my life ive lost big amounts of weight 6/7 stone and then i just put it all back on and then all off and all back on. So im trying to lose as much as possible before operation as after the operation i will lose weight slower. Thats why i was wondering if i could cary on Cambridge after as id still lose a stone a month and if i have to be on liquids for a while anyway :confused:

Last edited:
Well I hope someone might have an answer for you soon hun.

Also just thought I would mention that CD have a refeeding program which helps you to manage and deal with food after TFR/SSing. It might be worth seeing how you go with CD and try the refeed. Does WLS have a re introducing to food? I imagine it does involve counselling of some sort? Please dont think I am trying to sway you in any way.

How much do you have to loose in total?

Bren
X

Well I hope someone might have an answer for you soon hun.

Also just thought I would mention that CD have a refeeding program which helps you to manage and deal with food after TFR/SSing. It might be worth seeing how you go with CD and try the refeed. Does WLS have a re introducing to food? I imagine it does involve counselling of some sort? Please dont think I am trying to sway you in any way.

How much do you have to loose in total?

Bren
X

Yea it does have a plan that introduces food gradualy and counselling but its abit of a tricky situation as i will have waiting almost 2 years for the operation by the time i have it done and if i dont have it to see if cambridge works and then it doesnt work, might not get the operation offered to me again and if i do will mostly likely have to wait another billion years before i can have it done :eek:

after surgery you cannot do cambridge for a period of time while you recover. i think its 3 months but am sure a cdc can confirm the length of time

as i understand from the wls forum by this point you would have been asked by the surgeons to move onto purees and even the mashed foods by then

Though there are rules saying you can't CD after an op, or a couple of weeks before, gastric bypass could be different. Protein levels would need to be higher.

Having said that, I doubt you'd be able to SS, but a plan could possibly be worked out with the medical people at Cambridge as I know they've done this for gastric band.

Im not really getting a bypass to lose weight, thats just a bonus. Getting it as a tool to aid my bad eating habbits.

I'm not against bypasses by any means, but it's one very serious tool.

I dont really have any problem losing weight, its keeping it off .

I know :( It's tough isn't it, but it's possible for anyone. A bypass could make it easier, but it's not foolproof. My friend has managed to gain 8st after losing a similar amount after a bypass :cry:

Still head work to do, but yeah, reckon it could help if you want to take the risks

Thank u for all the replies! they have been very helpful :)!

Yes you can as there is some foods you can still "cheat" with. You can also go a few weeks at a time not losing any weight at all.

Well ya learn something new every day lol

Seriously though...think very very carefully before having surgery.... :) it really is a very last resort

Good luck xxxx

Well ya learn something new every day lol

Seriously though...think very very carefully before having surgery.... :) it really is a very last resort

Good luck xxxx

Yea i keep getting second thoughts! one day im sure its the right thing, then the next im not so sure :( I have tried everything though, i even did lighterlife a very very long time ago and even with the counselling and maintenance plan u get with them i still put it all back on, not sure whether that was just because i was young when i did lighterlife though and i wasnt really doing it for myself at the time :confused: Everyone i know who does CD says stick with CD and everyone i know whos had a bypass says go with bypass! so its a bit of a hard time at the moment :cry:

awwwww bless you xxx

my friend had gastric band in 2005 and is at the same size now as she was before she had it .... hmmmm i know bands are different though and do 'slip' apparantly and need re-filling so i knew they were cheatable...but really shocked about the bypass.. really am as i thought the stomach was teeny lol

I think having weight loss surgery can be fab! it seems a fantastic solution for some...but like cambridge/LL does it really sort out the real problems behind why we eat? i think not...

I was considering a gastric band before i took the cambridge route and was told no no no no by friends and family (even though it seemed an easy way out for me pay the money and get skinny lol) but after MUCH research discovered there was ALOT of work involved keeping slim..... so ditched the idea and started CD. so glad i did...and it really HAS helped me with the weight issues and the over eating

I really hope you can come to a solution :) xxxx

Back