Weight loss with disability

Hi all, am new here. Well, I've done it! I've decided my weight has controlled SO MUCH of my life for TOO long!!! I am disabled with a condition that makes my joints dislocate all the time, so I find it hard to exercise. I've been to the docs and they've enrolled me in a 16 week programme, in which I can use local leisure centres at certain times. The gym, aqua fit (which should be good for joints), zumba dance, light circuit training, etc are available to me during this time. I'm hoping to join the gym myself after the 16 weeks.

I am:

5' 2" and 248 lbs (17st 10lbs)

I don't know my goal weight to be honest, or over what period to lose it, but I want to lose a good few stone!

I'm glad to have joined this forum, I'm hoping to get some help and support, and to do the same for others :)

Hi and welcome!! Your exercise programme sounds fab - hope it works well for you and you enjoy it, are you going to follow a diet or do your own thing??

Hi and welcome!! Your exercise programme sounds fab - hope it works well for you and you enjoy it, are you going to follow a diet or do your own thing??
Hi, thanks :)

Well, I've cut down already, no sugar in my tea, nothing in between meals etc. I'm still eating what I cook for all the family but trying to decrease my portion sizes. It's hard, but I'm determined! Hopefully that, combined with the exercise, will be enough to maintain a weight loss schedule :) I dont do any exercise now really, so am half dreading and half looking forward to it.

Welcome to the site - I have found it really helpful and the people here are very friendly.

If you control the cooking why not put your whole family on a healthy eating regime. Some simple changes like reducing the fat you use in cooking, adding more vegetables and introducing healthier versions of things (leaner cuts of meat etc.) can make a lot of difference.

If you fancy starting a more structured diet once the exercise is underway there is a lot of helpful advice on this site, why not read all the main diet forums to see what would suit you best (and then get your family to do their own cooking!)

Hi all, am new here. Well, I've done it! I've decided my weight has controlled SO MUCH of my life for TOO long!!! I am disabled with a condition that makes my joints dislocate all the time, so I find it hard to exercise. I've been to the docs and they've enrolled me in a 16 week programme, in which I can use local leisure centres at certain times. The gym, aqua fit (which should be good for joints), zumba dance, light circuit training, etc are available to me during this time. I'm hoping to join the gym myself after the 16 weeks.

I am:

5' 2" and 248 lbs (17st 10lbs)

I don't know my goal weight to be honest, or over what period to lose it, but I want to lose a good few stone!

I'm glad to have joined this forum, I'm hoping to get some help and support, and to do the same for others :)

Well done you and best of luck. You sound very determined so I'm sure you will start to see some great results soon.

Back