WEIGHT TRAINING AND SLIMMING WORLD

Paul8

Hi everyone,
I started Slimming world 2 weeks ago and am really pleased with my start.
I lost 7.5lb on week one and a further 3lb this week and got slimmer of the week.
My question is simply...Is it good to do weight training on the Slimming world diet?
I have had injury problems doing sport and have had to stop playing football and running due to me needing hip surgery. As a result I have steadily put on weight.
I was 15St 4.5lb when I started and have given myself a target weight of 12 stone .I want to assist the weight loss in the gym but can't really do any cardio as its too painful and I do enjoy weights but feel I may get needlessly disheartened at Slimming world if I don't lose weight due to me doing weight training...
Should I leave the weights and concentrate on the diet or do the training as well. Or do I lose the weight and then do weights when I reach target.
It's very frustrating...hope you can help!

Hi!
From personal experience I never had any problem doing weight training and following the slimming world plan! As long as you're getting enough protein your body should be able to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. When I was solely doing weights I managed good losses every week :D
Also if you have a gym membership you could use the stationary bike to get a little cardio in, as they tend to be much easier on the hips, or maybe even the elliptical as that's low impact too.
Good luck! And remember weight loss is mostly calories in/calories out so even if you do lots of weight training you should still have losses if you stick to plan :D
You're doing fab, keep it up
x

Many thanks Lolly that's a great help. Your right about the bike and cross trainer. I just do what I can at the min and listen to my body. I am in the right frame of mind with the training now. As long as you stick to the diet ANY exercise is a bonus, plus you consume so much water without it becoming a chore. Well done on your weight loss you are obviously very dedicated. Really appreciate you taking time to reply...

Yes definitely keep up the weight training. Lean mass uses so many more calories than fat mass so you will increase your metabolism by increasing your muscle mass. Just sitting still will burn more calories! SW works perfectly well with that, you can eat as much lean meat, fish and eggs as you want as well as starchy carbs :character00116:

Cheers Stebbsy, lost another 2lb even with the weights this week....all the different advice out there re training and diets makes things merge into each other it seems at times.

Just to keep you up to date on the weights and exercise situation. I've kept it up and seem to be losing every other week but decent results. I've lost 20lb so far and it's week 8. The static bike is also a godsend for my hips Lolly so many thanks for that. I'm also starting to feel I may have set my target too low. I set it according to the BMI chart and may have to change it as I push forward...

Back